Ground Speed Challenge

GeorgePerry

This was a trip last year from Eugene, OR home to Texas, it was a total fluke that the GS readout matches the Model 252 which is also the registered ident for my Rocket.

My best number was this year a month ago at 15K the Garmin showed 264 - 267 KTS from Abilene home to Bourland, that descent is still shown as the peak speed in the Garmin at 278 KTS

Don

post-1902-13468138177187_thumb.jpg

post-1902-13468138178311_thumb.jpg

post-1902-13468138181574_thumb.jpg

I flew from Fredrick (FDK) to Morgantown (MGW) over the Appalacians today. Forecast was strong westery winds with moderate turbluence below 8,000. As I approached the foothills you could see the mountain waves. I was WOTx2500 @ 6000' showing 157 kts indicated. At one point my ground speed was 78kts. ! That is a 79kt. HEADWIND.

I am really glad I have a Mooney. Many other planes would not have made the trip today.

Quote: Cruiser

I flew from Fredrick (FDK) to Morgantown (MGW) over the Appalacians today. Forecast was strong westery winds with moderate turbluence below 8,000. As I approached the foothills you could see the mountain waves. I was WOTx2500 @ 6000' showing 157 kts indicated. At one point my ground speed was 78kts. ! That is a 79kt. HEADWIND.

I am really glad I have a Mooney. Many other planes would not have made the trip today.

Glad to see you joined us, Don. That is one beautiful Rocket/252.

The best GS I've ever seen in my J, was years ago, at 11,000 ft, over the Gulf, headed to Ft. Lauderale. 235 kts.

There were four planes coming back from New Orleans, and a 231 at 17,000 ft was "only" getting 240 kts.

Can't beat some of the numbers but look at my 430 pix showing a ground speed of 208 kts.  Flying from Houston to Atlanta today at 15,000 feet and 70% power in a 1986 252.  3 hours 21 minutes in the air which is not bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Today's flight from Phoenix (IWA) to Denver (APA) was unreal.

The preflight weather showed tailwinds in excess of 55 knots directly along my course.

The flight out on Friday the wind was the same direction but only 25-30 on the nose.

This picture was in LEVEL flight autopilot engaged, Heading and Altitude.

232 knot on 8.5 GPH Only in a Mooney

, with a tailwind

post-651-13468138249859_thumb.jpg

I hit 190kts on the trip back from Hutchison, KS to Sherman AAF on Saturday.  We flew up for dinner and the local crowd was amazed we flew in with the winds being 16026G32.  Piece of cake landing since it was on 17.  Shortest distance to stop I've had in awhile, almost as soon as I hit the ground... Laughing

I was level at 9000 WOT/2500 RPM when my buddy snapped this one at 187kts.  We raced a Cirrus SR22 G2 back and landed about 2 minutes behind him.  He had slightly better winds at 7000, but we flew the same route back.  I left first and went up to 9000, while he left 5 minutes behind us.  We had to be driving the controller nuts because we were almost stacked perfectly the entire flight.  He has the traffic system so he could see me on the screen but couldn't find me in the air.

Brian

post-401-13468138251185_thumb.jpg

Quote: RJBrown

Today's flight from Phoenix (IWA) to Denver (APA) was unreal.

The preflight weather showed tailwinds in excess of 55 knots directly along my course.

The flight out on Friday the wind was the same direction but only 25-30 on the nose.

This picture was in LEVEL flight autopilot engaged, Heading and Altitude.

232 knot on 8.5 GPH Only in a Mooney

, with a tailwind

Yes I went direct.

Going out I stayed as low as possible into the winds.

On the way back we got up to 16500, the MEA.

On a flight like this I miss my Rocket. With it we would have been above the bumps and could have seen 300 with those winds.

post-651-13468138252198_thumb.jpg

post-651-13468138253252_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

No proof, but last winter on a flight from MAI to ZPH @ 5500 and 25 squared, I had a ground speed of 173. Hoping to bump 175 but got to destination to fast!!!!!  Good winds from out of the north. But when I had to due the return trip I thought that it would take forever>

No proof, but last winter on a flight from MAI to ZPH @ 5500 and 25 squared, I had a ground speed of 173. Hoping to bump 175 but got to destination to fast!!!!!  Good winds from out of the north. But when I had to due the return trip I thought that it would take forever>

I got a piper arrow to 1kt gs and then to 223kts gs which is pretty fast for it. I also held at one time the 2nd fastest gs for a 172 i believe at 198 knots haha (last time i checked a few years ago).

EDIT: just looked on that site and found If I had taken a picture of that arrow II flight, I could have held that record haha

• 2 months later...

Not a record, but not a bad cruise speed at under 13 gph either.  Bismarck to FCM (Minneapolis) in about 1:40.  And this was cruise, not descent, descent was a wild ride.  We hit about 250. The thing about descending at those speeds from the flight levels is that you have to start so far out.  Somewhere between 75 and 100 miles out. 

post-325-13468138927313_thumb.jpg

I'm a K 231 which makes it even worse.  I get to go up to the Flight Levels where you can practially shut your engine off and go that fast West to East.

You must be a C.  We will spot you 2 knots.  Those things may be old, but faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, etc.

Quote: jlunseth

I'm a K 231 which makes it even worse.  I get to go up to the Flight Levels where you can practially shut your engine off and go that fast West to East.

You must be a C.  We will spot you 2 knots.  Those things may be old, but faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, etc.