Do you have TKS

Sorry Chris,

I may have got aggressive when I realized the thread went....'I'm buying brand B...'

Isn't there a forum for that? Or is BeechTalk somewhere near the darkside of MooneySpace?

New forum...Darkside: For those who have gone brand B, twin mooney, TNIO550 only, or experimentals...

Diverging further...,

-a-

I am sorry if I hit a nerve. Owning an old bonanza and planning on buying a baron I do spend most all of my forum reading time on Beech Talk. I came here simply because it is a good place to learn about TKS. Those of you that helped thank you. Carusoam, I know text might not come out right compared to hearing some one saying it. To make it clear I did not post on here to fire up a mine is better than yours argument. I was afraid this might happen and that is why in the first post I said " I am buying an aircraft with TKS " I said it was a baron after the post of a stall strip coming off and thought it might be relevant.

All are welcome here, Tim...

Chris has listed most of the pilots that have gone brand B that still check in here, often...

He left out John who moved from Bravo to twin commander...

Hang out a while you might be able to learn something or share something you know.

There is brotherhood amongst Mooney drivers. It extends out to drivers of those other HP flying machines...

We have members that flip flop between MS and BT. We share many of the same issues outside the airframe...

Best regards,

-a-

Colgan flight 3407 should be a good reminder of that...

.....as well as not to pull back on the yoke when the shaker is warning you of an imminent stall.

Fine stories about WNY, Chris. Seems you've picked up Bob's habit of using odd and unorthodox abbreviations.

A good mental challenge, if nothing else ;)

The posts from Carusoam and Marauder about lake effect weather vs. coastal weather, etc. made me realize what I should have said in the beginning: If you'll be flying in a region where freezing stratus layers are prevalent during any time of the year, TKS is an excellent option that will dramatically increase your dispatch rate.

Northern CA gets their freezing stratus layers from the Gulf of Alaska; I guess much of the Northeast gets theirs from the Great Lakes. No matter; both areas are great places to have TKS.

If nothing else I learned a lot of interesting new tidbits about weather in the Northeast from this thread.

BTW, there was another Joe Zuffoletto on the doomed Colgan flight... he was my cousin, just two years out of Embry-Riddle. He was the dead-heading pilot in the back. There aren't many Joe Zuffoletto's in the world, and even fewer who fly. You should have seen how my Facebook, email and iPhone lit up that day. In fact, that's how I found out about it. Such a tragic event for all involved.

Is TKS available on a Baron?

Is TKS available on a Baron?

It is a STC done by Flight Ice for older barons that did not have know ice boots. The opinions I get from Cessna Caravan pilots is the new known ice tks system is superior to the known ice boots.

Tim there was a B55 owner I met at Fun and Sun who was selling his Coleman with TKS installed. If you haven't bought already I can send you his number. I believe he had new engines installed in the recent past also.

BTW don't pay any attention to the negative posters on here. I think it helps everyone in GA who shares information

Steve

One thing you will want to check on the plane you are looking at is the color of the epoxy used to attach the stall strips to the wing. There have been several incidents of these strips coming off in flight. CAV Aerospace switched to CS3204B1/2 sealant to avoid this problem. If the stall strips are attached with green colored epoxy you should have them removed and rebonded with the new sealant. Loosing a stall strip is very expensive.

Am guessing this is what you are talking about. What is the proper fix?

post-11419-0-85761200-1407685145_thumb.j

That looks absolutely awful.

My strips look different. They are smooth on the surface and there is a bleed line going to the stall strip from underneath it. 

your picture looks like there are a lot of tiny holes in the surface. Or is that the inside of the strip after the outside part is off? I have never seen one.

attached is the procedure I got from CAV Aerospace.

STALL STRIP REPLACEMENT.pdf

That is a funny choice of drink cup to put next to next to the 'gobs of silicone' looking excess materials...?

I took a good look at TKS on a Bravo today that was in for maintenance. There wasn't anything that stood out like that.

Some finer details at the wing tips caught my eye...

Best regards,

-a-

Am guessing this is what you are talking about. What is the proper fix?

Proper fix for what you've got would be a new install at the expense of whoever did that hack job.

It should be a clean install with no excess adhesive visible. The only visible adhesive should be btw the stall strip and the tks panel it is bonded to. With, of, course the proper adhesive and no gaps or bubbles btw strip and panel.

Great News! Tom S. a service guy that works at CAV aerospace flew over in his amazing Columbia 400 to inspect the panel and said not a big deal they just did a messy job installing it and they used the old green adhesive that does not hold well. He added that I could leave it alone they did not break the tube to the stall strip that would have made replacing the whole leading edge to the tune of about $6,000. I said it looks like crap and has the old adhesive. The fix is to bring it to them pay about $300-400 and have it cleaned up reinstalled with the better adhesive by the pros.

• Like 2