Cost to overhaul gear actuator

Earl

Just got a quote from an MSC to overhaul the gear actuator and was wondering whether anyone has had this done.  Labor at the MSC at $375 and cost from LASAR of $3,000.  Does that sound reasonable?  Mine is a 1986 M20K (252).

My gear motor was rebuilt for ~$600, plus $300-$400 in labor for R&R/rigging at Willmar in 2008.  The motor was sent to a shop in California for the rebuild, and I expect LASAR probably uses them too.  I'm sure we have different motors, but $3000 sounds very high to me...but who knows.  The 252's have all sorts of doo-dads and improvements over my early 201 that are more expensive, but I would really chase this down a bit further before committing to the work.

I just spoke with Dan at Lasar last week regarding my 77 201 gear motor overhaul and service, my motor brushes are done and the armature needs turning so he told me it would be at most 850 dollars to overhaul including replacing the rubber coupling between the transmission and motor. I thought that was a good price, and will be sending mine there shortly. 

Quote: JimR

I have never had to overhaul mine, but the no back clutch spring SB alone was $500 for the kit, plus the installation costs. What are your symptoms that indicate that you need your entire actuator to be overhaled?

Jim, I think my deal was just the electric motor only...I'm about to begin my annual this weekend and need to research my logs again and look for compliance.  I don't have any major squawks or upgrades on my list this year, so perhaps I might need to put some dollars into that...I do know that Bruce J. at Willmar said I was very fortunate that my manual crank worked as intended when my motor gave up the ghost heading in to his shop.  At least it picked a convenient time to die!  He showed me pics of mis-rigged and worn-out systems that caused the gear to stay up.

• 6 years later...

Isn't it a different set up for the K's vs the older Mooneys? In anycase, I believe the shop that Lasar is using is George's Electric Service near Sacramento. They're a small trailer in a field, George died 10 years ago or so but the wife keeps the operation running. I believe the current overhauler there is Mike. (916) 927-3386

-Robert