Carpet

PTK

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to buy carpet for aviation?  I know all the internet sites but I don't think we need to spend 25$ a sq yard or more!!  I was looking at some normal down to earth prices. Thanks.

Hello allsmiles.

Yes, www.airtexinteriors.com I've purchased carpet from them 3 times over the past several years.  Once when I re-upholstered my F model, once when I re-upholstered Jolie's E model and last year when I replaced the carpet in the R model.  Very reasonably priced too.

You must be all smiles cause you fly a Mooney!

post-291-13468137888555_thumb.jpg

post-291-13468137889173_thumb.jpg

post-291-13468137889552_thumb.jpg

There is a valid reason for the extra cost of aviation carpet. When you install carpet in your airplane you MUST note it in your logbook. The Airtex people include the form you need. It identifies the carpet as meeting the proper (fire resistant) specification. I think Airtex still sells approved carpet by the yard. If you buy carpet by the yard from Home Depot, or the like, without the certification you are responsible to have an approved lab test and certify your carpet. As you can see to be legal it is cheaper to use an approved source than to make your own.

If you use unapproved carpet or fail to properly log the change there is the possibility of voiding your insurance by operating the aircraft outside of it's type certificate. The carpet must be both fire retardant and when it burns, I believe. it must Not put off toxic smoke.

I used an Airtex kit in a 231  and it looked great and fit perfectly. When reupholstering seats you can use leather as it naturally is safe. If you use fabric I believe it to must be "approved".

Thanks for the info.  I'm aware of all these things. I'm not suggesting going to Home Depot.  I'm looking for approved carpet at a reasonable price.  I have looked into Airtex. Personally I think it's pricey for a few square yards of carpet!

I used the airtex also.  Carpet was already cut and edged and fit extremely well in my M20C.  I later purchased the matching side pieces.  They were mounted on "rigid" plastic board.  Much nicer than the originals...

Airtex can also install their products for you.  This could save you money over having your local guy struggle with it. (Trenton, NJ - KTTN) is one of their locations.

Since you are looking for savings, the only other thing I can offer is the fact that you will probably only have to do this once.  You get what you expect when you order from Airtex.

- anthony - 

Quote: Mitch

Hello allsmiles.

Yes, www.airtexinteriors.com I've purchased carpet from them 3 times over the past several years.  Once when I re-upholstered my F model, once when I re-upholstered Jolie's E model and last year when I replaced the carpet in the R model.  Very reasonably priced too.

Hi Brian.

With my F model installation, there were existing snaps on the floor.  I do not know if those were factory, or someone had installed them previously.  Regardless, I installed new corresponding snaps in the new carpet kit and it held in place just fine. 

The E and R model installations, I used the carpet glue from Airtex.  The carpet that I replaced in the R model was original and it was quite a job getting that removed........heat gun and putty knife.  I have to say that the Mooney factory glued every square inch of that carpet to the floor..........well done Mooney folks!

On the new installations, I didn't use nearly as much glue as originally used and all is staying in place quite nicely on both planes.   I hope that helps you. 

Brian, is it the actual seat that needs to be replaced? Or do you just need to get new padding and upholstery?  I did the latter in my E model. I attended an interior workshop at AOPA, and got some good suggestions.  Then I had memory foam installed in the seats, and a lumbar support.  Anyway, best of luck!! 

Hi Jolie,

It is the ladder, but need to replace the recline stops at some point.  They are a little worn and want to stay in the most aft position.  That works for me because I'm tall and can still see over the panel.  Passengers don't seem to mind either.  I'm looking at using Airtex for the seat covers and just do it myself.  We'll see how it goes.

Brian

• 4 years later...

Mitch I realize I resurrected an old thread but did you have to order the center section that goes over the flaps and Johnson bar area separately from the 250 or so costing floor carpet? Or did that come with the rigid side panels? I am thinking of doing this in stages starting with the floor and the center console area cover.

Hello allsmiles.

Carpet:

IIRC  FAR 25.853 is whats involved here.

Formerly Boeing Surplus Kent sold remnants and  materials such as this.

Schneller Inc. provided some of the carpets & flight deck matting

Kay -Metzeler Ltd.- foam cushioning, and

Andrew Muirhead & Son [Glasgow] provided Leather.

One large hide was around $150, prob 1 1/2 hides would do one Mooney.

Some of the floor matting was foam-backed some not,

used the unbacked with wool carpet cut to fit on top.

At the time some of the wool carpet was spendy maybe $50-$70/yard IIRC

Occasionally these materials come up for sale --- keep checking.

Think I gave around $1-$2 / yard then for the wool.

Just adding to the MS brain trust here   drbob

Mitch I realize I resurrected an old thread but did you have to order the center section that goes over the flaps and Johnson bar area separately from the 250 or so costing floor carpet? Or did that come with the rigid side panels? I am thinking of doing this in stages starting with the floor and the center console area cover.

Call the folks at Airtex, tell them what you need and they will do it for you. Fairly small company, so you may actually talk to the owner/president. They will work with you and customize pieces as desired.