Sun Visors

laytonl

I've found this to be an excellent solution.  Mine aren't painted yet and so look a little rough, I also used a different type of clamp on the center post. But all in all, they work GREAT and the price was right.

Bucko, also on this forum, showed my his today which is the Rosen visor but for an Aviat Husky. It mounts to the center post and is fully articulating. He only has one on the pilots side, but it can be rotated to the copilots side if needed.

29 minutes ago, BigTex said:

We're needing to find a way to mount the Rosen sun visors to the center post vs. the side mounts as they are sold.  Not sure if possible but that's the thought.

Perhaps a split collar, machined flat on one side with a tapped hole, like we did to mount fire extinguishers on the seat adjustment bar. Do you think a single 3/16th inch machine screw would hold it (them). That wouldn't solve the articulating problem. The Ram mount from Spruce looks like it would work, but ugly and expensive.

1 hour ago, DonMuncy said:

Perhaps a split collar, machined flat on one side with a tapped hole, like we did to mount fire extinguishers on the seat adjustment bar. Do you think a single 3/16th inch machine screw would hold it (them). That wouldn't solve the articulating problem. The Ram mount from Spruce looks like it would work, but ugly and expensive.

Don you have a pic or link for the extinguisher mount?

5 hours ago, BigTex said:

We're needing to find a way to mount the Rosen sun visors to the center post vs. the side mounts as they are sold.  Not sure if possible but that's the thought.

I have a used set of Rosens that I would like to install, but the problem is that the 67 models do not have the threaded tab welded to the steel bar that goes around the windshield.  I understand Lasar made some sort of bracket to overcome this for their visors, but have been unable to find a picture of one.  It may have just been a simple hose clamp.  I would like to machine something that follows the curvature of the bar without dinging it up.

So like the add a shoulder belt.   I would do like Don suggested and machine a clamp that goes around the tube in the upper outside corner and then drill a hole in the headliner plastic. Mimicking the welded tab from the factory. As I recall the factory tab has an offset aft of the bar.  Not hard to make, just need to measure.

6 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

I was also thinking that a split collar like the fire extinguisher mounts would work.  Maybe take the Rosen visors and flip them where they mount to the center post instead of the sides.  Need to study the visors closer to see what might work.

Paul, I checked out your gallery of 6xm you've got one really nice bird, just love the yoke mod.including the color scheme. It's amazing what the members have done to the fleet of vintage Mooneys keeping them as the best vintage aircraft on the planet. I admire the effort and skill (I wish I had) our members possess.

• Like 1

So thinking of things on the long flight to California.  What about a universal mounting block or UMB for short.   Flat block of alum that clamps to the center post with thumb screws and has two 1/4-20 tapped holes on the front side to mount visors, GPS, Cup holders, Etc.   You are responsible for your own compass swing.

There is a nice aluminum clamp for mounting things on the center post built by built by our MS panel guy.  (Henderson?)

that clamp is designed to precision mount the old Garmin portables.

Wouldn't take much to update it to what you are looking for...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 months later...

Just reading through this thread.  For you guys with Vintage Birds:  I would take a block of aluminum or brass (something easily machinable and not magnetic) and make a split block designed to mount onto the steel bar above the compass (In fact you could also machine it so the compass mounted to it as well) with bolts that pulled the 2 sides together.  Each block would have a machined flat with a threaded hole to allow a bolt (probably mounted though the bottom to make the bolt head easily assessable) to mount the attachment points of the Rosen visors.  The Rosen attach points will be near the center post rather than on the L and rgt corners of the windshield. Then trim the tinted lens so they fit and are the size you want.

John Breda

Like I said, mine don't look great as they're not painted or finished... but they work amazing and were cheap.  I can try to get better pictures if anyone's interested. This was at altitude with my iPhone.  They don't seem to affect the compass at all.

IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

I had Rosen visors on two airplanes and loved them to pieces.  No amount of money is too much to make certain you aren't running into aircraft or cumulogranite, and both can hide in the sun on a hazy sunny day.  Sorry to hear they don't fit the older Mooneys, I'd get them if they did.  I'm a little surprised, both my other aircraft were from the early sixties and the Rosens fit just fine.