Blown Engine!!

Quote: jwilkins

"Fix it right" does NOT necessarily mean a new factory engine. There are many good rebuilders out there, and the decision to field rebuild or FOH or FN is complicated. The decision tree includes value of the airframe, typical .

Byron, I was quoted a dissimilar core charge from Airpower for the A3B6.  Are you saying there shouldn't be a charge?

Now, the factory engine is 27,500 and there is NO DISSIMILAR core charge to upgrade to the -A3B6 two mag engine.  For that you get the roller cam also.  They are going to scrap that case when they get it, but maybe you can sweet talk them into leting you slide on that, or pay a 4K fee for a "bad case" core.   You are at 31K again, but you are stepping up in a major way.  Call Airpower, they are not so good with email.  Email me for more info.

Quote: txbyker

Byron, I was quoted a dissimilar core charge from Airpower for the A3B6.  Are you saying there shouldn't be a charge?

Now, the factory engine is 27,500 and there is NO DISSIMILAR core charge to upgrade to the -A3B6 two mag engine.  For that you get the roller cam also.  They are going to scrap that case when they get it, but maybe you can sweet talk them into leting you slide on that, or pay a 4K fee for a "bad case" core.   You are at 31K again, but you are stepping up in a major way.  Call Airpower, they are not so good with email.  Email me for more info.

Quote: mooney2201

if you own a airplane,you can afford to fix it right,with a lycoming factory new engine.you would pay anything if things went seriously wrong,and someone was killed.you got very very luckey,for ten grand difference in engine price,go factory,,by the way it sounds like someone overtorqued cyllinder bolts,i have seen this many times,,,very very luckey you didnt destroy the plane,with off airport landing.

Propr,

Great data sharing.

Looking at the datapoints would expect the the CHT and EGT data to overlay.

Looking as hard as I can at the data, I see one set of temperatures that falls away from the other three, right from start up to shut down.

In comparison, the red line that falls below the others, to the broken cylinder #, you should find a match.

Check previous flight records for similar graphs to see how long that cylinder has been misbehaving.

What is the difference between the CHTs and egts from highest to lowest?

It looks to me, a casual observer, one cylinder is receiving a different mixture than the others?

That's by best effort.  I am not a mechanic, just an engineer.

I hope I helped point you in the right direction.

Good luck,

-a-

The EGT 1 seems out of sync with the others

The cylinder picture seems to indicate # 2

Have shared this data with your mechanic?

Caru,

Thanks for the quick look.  I've shared the data with my mechanic and still waiting for his assessment.  I'm also an engineer and had questions regarding the out of family readings on Cyl#1.  One other piece of info, that cylinder had the lowest compression of the four during the annual check.

Dan

Took the plunge today and ordered a rebuilt engine from Air Power inc.  Delivery estimated for mid-August.  I received a waiver for the inoperable engine core after paying a fee of $3725.  Looking forward to return to flight around Labor Day.

Dan

• 3 months later...

Back in the air! Landmark Syracuse did a great job of returning my J to flight. My first flight was a 30 minute checkout of the plane in the local area to make sure everything was ok before repositioning to a new home base (D38). I noticed the tach tops out at 2600 RPM on this engine, about 50 RPM lower than the previous engine. Climb/cruise performance is no different which leads me to believe it's a gage discrepancy. I'll have my mechanic check it out when I get the oil changed. So far, I've logged 15 hrs on the new engine. The break in process is going well. CHTs have fallen slightly with every flight and mineral oil consumption has only been 2 qts. I'll consult with my mechanic about going to 15/50 Aeroshell when I return from a cross country next weekend that should carry me over 20 hours on the new engine.

Landmark showed me the old engine before they shipped it to Lycoming for the core credit. The extent of the damage was much greater than what we first observed when the incident first happened. It turns out that 3 of 4 studs had sheared and the case crack extended 3/4 the way around the cylinder. It only had seconds to go before it would have potentially ejected through the side of the cowl! They gave me one of the sheared studs to throw into my flight bag as a good luck charm.

Aspen PFD, fuel bladders, now a new engine...It's great to be back in the game with a top notch airplane!

Dan