Tie down ring thread pitch?

FloridaMan

What is the thread pitch for the tie down bolts for the M20F? I'd like to grab a couple stainless eye bolts before heading up to pick up my plane that Parker and I had to abandon due to a dead magneto in Tennessee in case I have to park it on the ramp when I get back. 

Quote: JimR

While you're at it, buy a couple of standard bolts of good quality with the same threads and two matching nuts.  Tighten the nuts on the bolts and they make great jack points. Just make sure the first time you use them that the enlarged head that you have created with the nut is thick enough to fill the cups of your particular jack heads in order to avoid contact with your wing skins. If not, add washers as necessary. 

Jim

The LASAR combination didn't fit my '67F, unfotunately. They were too thin and can be pulled out by hand.
I haven't gone to the trouble to determine the actual thread on my airplane though.

Quote: Lood

The LASAR combination didn't fit my '67F, unfotunately. They were too thin and can be pulled out by hand.

I haven't gone to the trouble to determine the actual thread on my airplane though.

• 3 years later...

Mine too. However, I just finished my owner assited annual at LASAR and had them address the issue. According to them, all Mooneys are supposed to be the same, the 5/16-18 thread, but sometimes the threads get messed up and people drill and tap for the next size up. We were able to install their rings by helicoiling back down to the standard 5/16-18.

On a side note, I wasn't able to fit their hubcaps on my mains either. They swear all the wheels are the same, but the hole spacing on my wheels were just a little off. I was told that I just had "weird" wheels. Anyhow, they elongated the holes on the hubcaps and made them work. The nose gear caps and the tail ring fit just fine. Kind of nice to be able to hand the parts to the people that made them and say "make it work".

mine had a nut on the back side due to cross threading.  You have to grind down one side of the nut to fit up against the angle alum.  You also have to pull the access panel to put the nut there.  Once the nut is placed the angle alum holds the nut so you don't have to put a wrench on it.

Same with mine. This baffled Paul Lowen. I had to drill them ind insert helicoils to install the LASAR combo tie down/jack points.

One of my LASAR jackpoint tiedowns fell out too, 67F. I've been tying down to my gear legs, they're just the tiniest little bit stronger.

When I flew into the mooney summit at PC, I forgot to put in the tie down ring and they just used the mains. I agree that it's a fairly strong attachment point. Lol