Cleaning the Mooney and Removing Surface Rust - Tips?

What is the best way to remove surface rust from the exterior door handle and the exterior baggage compartment handle? There are also a few screws (such as on the oil compartment door) that have rust due to the humidity. I don’t want to ruin the paint since it’s a new-ish paint job, but would like to remove the rust if possible.

Also, what are some products to clean the plane up? Specifically, there are heavy grass stains under the wings and the tops of the wings could use a good washing/wax/wipe down. Any recommendations on products to accomplish this? I’m not sure if a wash rack is available at the new airport (just moved it).

Thanks.

44 minutes ago, bcg said:

Naval Jelly does a good job removing rust and stays where you put it.

It's also a very good stripper, it will take off anything--rust, stains, paint, even bluing. Not sure about wood finish, I've only used it on metals.

I would remove the handle and then use Naval Jelly or muriatic acid. I wouldn't use either on the plane. Too much chance of damaging the aluminum.

And while you have it off send it to a plater and have it chrome or nickel plated.

1 hour ago, bcg said:

Naval Jelly does a good job removing rust and stays where you put it.

Technical Data Sheet says (among other things):
- Do not use on aluminum, chrome, stainless steel, cement, fiberglass, marble, plastics or painted surfaces.
- Naval Jelly will remove paint.

https://dm.henkel-dam.com/is/content/henkel/TDS-1381191-553472-US-Loctite-Naval-Jelly-Rust-Dissolver-Bottle-8-fl-oz-16-fl-oz-2018-04-12pdf

14 hours ago, LevelWing said:

What is the best way to remove surface rust from the exterior door handle and the exterior baggage compartment handle?

Assuming the handles are chrome plated, bronze wool is very good for removing surface rust.  It will not scratch the chrome surface.  
It will scratch painted surfaces.  Either tape well on painted areas around the handles first, or as suggested remove the handles

https://www.amazon.com/Homax-Bronze-Steel-Wool-Fine/dp/B002YCD75W/ref=asc_df_B002YCD75W?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80127027858777&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583726562016563&psc=1

6 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Technical Data Sheet says (among other things):
- Do not use on aluminum, chrome, stainless steel, cement, fiberglass, marble, plastics or painted surfaces.
- Naval Jelly will remove paint.

https://dm.henkel-dam.com/is/content/henkel/TDS-1381191-553472-US-Loctite-Naval-Jelly-Rust-Dissolver-Bottle-8-fl-oz-16-fl-oz-2018-04-12pdf

Here's another option that's water based.  I've used it on tools and it does OK without removing the chroming.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0TLQ66

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bcg said:

Here's another option that's water based.  I've used it on tools and it does OK without removing the chroming.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0TLQ66

The MSDS is a little vague, but it doesn't sound as threatening as Naval Jelly.  They do say "don't get it on your skin".  I also see that they have a more "jelly" product for uses where you can't submerge the part.

Go to ebay and you should be able to find new old stock baggage handle.  It is a cabinet handle.  I powder coated the exterior and interior handles on my first M20E.  They did the media prep.  It looked great and lasted well.

There's probably a shop you can take it to that will clean it up and then re-chrome it for you.  Doubt they charge much to clean it up, but you can also always do that before you take it to them.

If the chrome is not pitted, just surface rust as you say, the bronze will will clean it just fine.  Yes, if it's pitted and you want perfection, them remove and have re-plated.

I've used the bronze wool extensively over the years on restorations, both on chrome and aluminum. 

13 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I would remove the handle and then use Naval Jelly or muriatic acid. I wouldn't use either on the plane. Too much chance of damaging the aluminum.

And while you have it off send it to a plater and have it chrome or nickel plated.

I'll have to look at this during the next annual.

12 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

Assuming the handles are chrome plated, bronze wool is very good for removing surface rust.  It will not scratch the chrome surface.  
It will scratch painted surfaces.  Either tape well on painted areas around the handles first, or as suggested remove the handles

https://www.amazon.com/Homax-Bronze-Steel-Wool-Fine/dp/B002YCD75W/ref=asc_df_B002YCD75W?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80127027858777&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583726562016563&psc=1

I'll get a picture next time I'm out there. I think the bronze wool should work for the door handle but not the baggage compartment handle since that's painted, nor the screws for the oil door.

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LevelWing said:

I'll get a picture next time I'm out there. I think the bronze wool should work for the door handle but not the baggage compartment handle since that's painted, nor the screws for the oil door.

My C is exactly the opposite--the baggage door handle is chromed, and the door handle is painted.