C drivers, what's your typical oil temp in climb and cruise?

My oil temp has been running what I think is a little on the high side, around 190 - 210 in cruise, occasionally as high as 225.  Climb out is about the same.  What do you guys normally see on yours?  I'd be a lot more comfortable in the 165 - 180 range, I think.

16 minutes ago, bcg said:

My oil temp has been running what I think is a little on the high side, around 190 - 210 in cruise, occasionally as high as 225.  Climb out is about the same.  What do you guys normally see on yours?  I'd be a lot more comfortable in the 165 - 180 range, I think.

165 - 180 is too low IMO it doesnt get hot enough to properly cook off any water that is in your oil. 185 - 210 is what your target should be. I would say your temps in cruise are just fine.

Lycoming specifically says though: "The desired oil temperature range for Lycoming engines is from 165˚ to 220˚ F"

https://www.lycoming.com/content/operating-cold-weather

Did you notice a change over time or is this just a current observation? Are your CHTs and oil pressure normal?

Edited by dzeleski

It's been on the high side of the gauge the 1.5 years I've had the plane but, I had the analog gauges until putting in an EDM 930 a few months ago.  The old gauge bounced around quite a bit which made it tough to have a really accurate reading.  It was higher in summer though, and that's really my biggest concern, if I'm hitting 220 in cruise occasionally with temps where they are now, it's going to be worse when we're 100+ on the ground and have to climb to 10k to get below 60.

What are your typical oil temps in cruise?

Another part of this is that in warmer air, I have a hard time keeping my CHTs on 3 and 4 below 400 in cruise.  I'll have to open the cowl flaps a little to get the temps down.  It's also very easy to see CHTs in the 420+ range on climb out when it's 80+, which isn't even kind of hot here.  I often have to climb at 120ish to keep my CHTs at 400 or less.  The baffling is in decent shape, I don't think the problem is there.  I've got to believe that lower oil temps would help with this some, certainly wouldn't hurt anyway. 

I'm going to flush out my oil cooler and swap in a new vernatherm at my next oil change anyway, I've already got the parts, I'm just curious what temp ranges other are seeing.

I have a trip this weekend, AL-NC-AL, I'll grab some pictures in climb and cruise. It's higher in climb, of course, and warm weather seems to be back again, but Pil Temp usually has a good margin below the top of the green line.

My baffling was freshened a couple of years ago, and seals off pretty well now, which has to help.

31 minutes ago, bcg said:

It's been on the high side of the gauge the 1.5 years I've had the plane but, I had the analog gauges until putting in an EDM 930 a few months ago.  The old gauge bounced around quite a bit which made it tough to have a really accurate reading.  It was higher in summer though, and that's really my biggest concern, if I'm hitting 220 in cruise occasionally with temps where they are now, it's going to be worse when we're 100+ on the ground and have to climb to 10k to get below 60.

Another part of this is that in warmer air, I have a hard time keeping my CHTs on 3 and 4 below 400 in cruise.  I'll have to open the cowl flaps a little to get the temps down.  It's also very easy to see CHTs in the 420+ range on climb out when it's 80+, which isn't even kind of hot here.  I often have to climb at 120ish to keep my CHTs at 400 or less.  The baffling is in decent shape, I don't think the problem is there.  I've got to believe that lower oil temps would help with this some, certainly wouldn't hurt anyway. 

I'm going to flush out my oil cooler and swap in a new vernatherm at my next oil change anyway, I've already got the parts, I'm just curious what temp ranges other are seeing.

If I recall correctly the vernatherm closes around 180-190F.

If you have higher CHTs you are gonna get higher oil temps. Probably a good idea to double check the seals and baffles.

I have a J so my numbers arent exactly relevant but cruise in the 180-200 area generally.

In climb it is up about 220 and cruise typically sits around 195-205.

A 1963 you have a doghouse, right? Check it really well, it doesn't take much of an opening to let the cylinder head temps climb. Also look at the openings around the generator/alternator and starter. Mine had old rubberish kind of stuff there when I bought the plane that didn't seal well. I replaced it with felt and that helped.

Up to 220 in climb, especially if my CHTs are sitting around 420 on climb out on a hot day. Hot CHTs=Hot Oil

In cruise around 185-205. I have seen it as low as 165 when I was up high on a very cold winter day.

FYI, Lycoming suggests sustained CHTs below 420 are ok, where continental suggests below 400. Sometimes I just have to pull back a couple inches and climb at 120mph to reduce temps.

21 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

In climb it is up about 220 and cruise typically sits around 195-205.

A 1963 you have a doghouse, right? Check it really well, it doesn't take much of an opening to let the cylinder head temps climb. Also look at the openings around the generator/alternator and starter. Mine had old rubberish kind of stuff there when I bought the plane that didn't seal well. I replaced it with felt and that helped.

Yeah, I've been through it pretty thoroughly.  Sealed up a few things with at annual.  The alternator and starter both have felt that I put on myself when replacing them, they seal pretty well.

6 minutes ago, phxcobraz said:

Up to 220 in climb, especially if my CHTs are sitting around 420 on climb out on a hot day. Hot CHTs=Hot Oil

In cruise around 185-205. I have seen it as low as 165 when I was up high on a very cold winter day.

FYI, Lycoming suggests sustained CHTs below 420 are ok, where continental suggests below 400. Sometimes I just have to pull back a couple inches and climb at 120mph to reduce temps.

I know they do, I'm not comfortable with it though.  If I overheat a cylinder, they get to sell me one and I have to buy one so our goals aren't necessarily aligned... :)

• Haha 1

For the 11 years that I owned a C in Florida it ran hot on takeoff often hitting 435 on 3/4. Normal procedure was to pretty quickly transition to cruise climb of 120 and the temps would start coming down. The C needs cowl flaps open a couple inches all the time. Check the manual for the exact dimension. During cruise my C would settle under 380 for all cylinders. I sold my C last December with almost 2000 hours on the engine and it was still purring along just fine so don’t sweat the temps too much. I will say in cruise the temps should all be under 380 and that was not a problem in my C. Again, the cowl flaps need to remain partially open at all times per the manual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hector said:

For the 11 years that I owned a C in Florida it ran hot on takeoff often hitting 435 on 3/4. Normal procedure was to pretty quickly transition to cruise climb of 120 and the temps would start coming down. The C needs cowl flaps open a couple inches all the time. Check the manual for the exact dimension. During cruise my C would settle under 380 for all cylinders. I sold my C last December with almost 2000 hours on the engine and it was still purring along just fine so don’t sweat the temps too much. I will say in cruise the temps should all be under 380 and that was not a problem in my C. Again, the cowl flaps need to remain partially open at all times per the manual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

There's a slight gap in the cowl flaps when fully closed, I've got to crack them a little further sometimes.

Looking through my engine logs over the last few flights, CHTs are 370 - 400 during cruise, 1 and 2 are on the lower end, 3 and 4 are 390 - 400.

I'm not overly concerned about it right now, I'd just like to see it all a little lower if I can.  When summer rolls around, it's going to be harder to keep them cool enough. 

I realize that part of this is that I've got more information than I had before, when the gauges were analog and I only had 1 CHT and 1 Oil Temp gauge, I didn't have enough information to fret about temp too much.  Now I've got the big, pretty display and logs to look at after the flight so it's easy to overthink it.

There's a slight gap in the cowl flaps when fully closed, I've got to crack them a little further sometimes.
Looking through my engine logs over the last few flights, CHTs are 370 - 400 during cruise, 1 and 2 are on the lower end, 3 and 4 are 390 - 400.
I'm not overly concerned about it right now, I'd just like to see it all a little lower if I can.  When summer rolls around, it's going to be harder to keep them cool enough. 
I realize that part of this is that I've got more information than I had before, when the gauges were analog and I only had 1 CHT and 1 Oil Temp gauge, I didn't have enough information to fret about temp too much.  Now I've got the big, pretty display and logs to look at after the flight so it's easy to overthink it.

Take a look at the maintenance manual. The cowl flaps on the C are supposed to stay open about 1-2 inch when fully closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may.not be what you need (no engine monitor), but I took these about 2 hrs into a 3:15 flight, but it's all I have. Note that my cowl flaps are fixed, no adjustments from the factory. 

Going out this morning:

20240428_090649.jpg.03a1a905ddb4f57c090baf36d2145a73.jpg

Coming back this evening:

20240428_143122.jpg.7a2776b70e0a96c4e4ef2e66ef2b5677.jpg

Don't get to log 6.7 hours many days!

This may.not be what you need (no engine monitor), but I took these about 2 hrs into a 3:15 flight, but it's all I have. Note that my cowl flaps are fixed, no adjustments from the factory. 
Going out this morning:
20240428_090649.jpg.03a1a905ddb4f57c090baf36d2145a73.jpg
Coming back this evening:
20240428_143122.jpg.7a2776b70e0a96c4e4ef2e66ef2b5677.jpg
Don't get to log 6.7 hours many days!
Thanks, it looks like you're running a little cooler than I am.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Seems my cowl flaps are open ~1.5", give or take. I'll look for pictures from a few years ago.
Mine are open a little when fully closed inside. It's an inch or two, I've never measured it.

When I crack them a little more to get CHT down in cruise, it doesn't change the oil temp.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

On 4/26/2024 at 9:28 AM, bcg said:

Summer Conditions - 120 MPH Climb 200*/ 65% Cruise 195*. For the rest of the year subtract 5*F off each of those figures. My oil cooler is 18 months old.

On 4/26/2024 at 9:54 AM, bcg said:

When I first bought my C - CHT was 450* after T/O, decreasing to 420* after 5 minutes with a 120 mph climb & 400* in cruise @ 65%, 100* ROP. 

After sealing the gaps in the doghouse with RTV - Summer conditions, 400* after T/O, 400* in climb & 380* in cruise @ 65%, 100* ROP.

Lycomings take on oil temp, now this isn’t aircraft specific, it’s general engine statement and I believe C’s run a little warm and J’s a little cool.

‘What’s particularly interesting is the statement that the oil actually hits 50F hotter than indicated, so 165 is hot enough because at its hottest it’s 215F

IMG_1733.png