Anybody guess was this is?

kerry

T

12 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Based on his flight profiles, I’d say he is involved in some sort aerial surveying.

4eedf5ab6d2b67ce8ee583285ad92926.png

We had a plane doing similar profiles by me.

87a1c85aae27bccb50ebcbb74f2af779.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That kind of flying doesn’t look fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kerry said:

C206 pulls up next to me at the Fallon NV airport this morning.  I couldn't resist asking the pilot what's that thing mounted to the back of his plane.  I thought I'd post it on Mooneyspace and see if anyone would know what it is.

IMG_0283.jpg

Gas sniffer?

Yep.  That's what he called it.  It locates precious metals for mining sites.

Wonder what precious metals are in northern Delaware? Maybe Fort Knox was moved.

In my neck of the woods, it’s precious mushrooms. Who would have thought there was enough money in mushrooms for some of them to own Pilatus turboprops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

MAD detects the change in the magnetic field due to a mass of iron.  The magnetic flux lines change.  Like putting something iron/steel near your compass.

+1 with @Pinecone.   

Had friends that flew ASW aircraft (Aurora = Canadian version of the P3 Orion etc) and commanded one of the ASW squadrons on the East Coast.  Also have one niece that used to fly as a geologist.  Magnetic Anomaly Detector (MAD) used in both applications.