Odd CIES sender behavior in Ovation

I'm hoping that the MS collective brain power can help me troubleshoot.  I have an issue with newly installed (January) CIES senders attached to G500Txi EIS on a 1998 Ovation where specifically with the right tank, I'm seeing no fuel level movement on the right tank gauge until I burn approximately 10-11 gallons.  Left tank works great, but on the right (green line in the graph below) it remains pegged at 44.5 Gallons (89 total usable) until it reaches approximately 34 gallons, at which point it drops to that level in a period of about 1:30-2 minutes as seen in the graph.  They have been calibrated twice with the issue remaining the same, as well as checked for freedom of movement.  I'm guessing it's an issue with the right outboard sender, however it has been removed and tested outside the aircraft to validate that it was returning data.  Any suggestions?

image.png.5d7ba4883f6885b3a2da844f404ba269.pngIncluding @fuellevel in hopes that you might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

On 6/25/2022 at 6:49 PM, LANCECASPER said:

The outboard senders sometimes hang up. They (or just the one giving you problems) most likely need to be adjusted (bent) and recalibrated.

@LANCECASPER, that was actually my first thought and what they checked.  Per the shop, it isn't hanging up and has good freedom of movement.

33 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Exactly what the shop who installed mine said . . lol

In this case, at least it wasn't the shop that did the original install, but instead my shop that I paid to troubleshoot it.  Unfortunately, we don't yet have resolution as of yet.  I think it's going to require CIES weighing in.

• Like 1

When you were calibrating the senders did the readings from the sender change from 34 gallons to 44.5 gallons?  Not sure about the GXI 500 but for my aerospace logic gauge you create a table of the sender readouts with a data point every 2 gallons.  

Apologies - we ran these and other issues by the FAA a year and a half ago.    Long story short   - we don't use the same pivot point and a different float  both of these are for good reasons.   There was a dimension of confusion and we had a new FAA engineer.  

The FAA made us prove that we as closely matched the original senders by doing a comparative drawing or installation model.   While we pointed out that the ideal installation for the Mooney and others  would have some different dimensions and characteristics, we didn't convey the idea to this engineer. 

We want to improve fuel qty measurement and improve the installations as issues are reported back to us.    So we now have new management @ the FAA and in Seattle - we are promised we will have a process and answer in getting this accomplished moving forward.   While we can tell you how to bend the arms and in the future we will actually bend the arms ahead of time.

We appreciate your patience -  My patience is dangerously at the end of the rope.  

Would love to hear more about this as well. What is the bending required to make it work? We just had a similar issue this weekend with a brand new CIES install on an M20J where the right side is stuck at 31.

Edited by MironV

Would love to hear more about this as well. What is the bending required to make it work? We just had a similar issue this weekend with a brand new CIES install on an M20J where the right side is stuck at 31.

I created a thread a few years back called “CiES Resource Thread” (or something similar). In my F model installation (same wing as the J), I had to install one sender upside down to get it to clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

10 hours ago, Marauder said:

I created a thread a few years back called “CiES Resource Thread” (or something similar). In my F model installation (same wing as the J), I had to install one sender upside down to get it to clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro