GFC500 problem

Larry

Called my installer yesterday about this. Im scheduled for mid June to have all of my -11 servos removed and replaced. I have not had any issues with my AP and my install has about 250 hours on it. My IFR re cert is due in June anyways so its no big deal as I knew it was gonna need to go away for a bit.

My G5s are running 8.02, will most likely get updated to 8.20 during the process as well but ill find out as we get closer to the date.

22 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

But it’s a chicken and egg problem, is altitude oscillating and AP reacting, or the AP is oscillating and the altitude reflects this?

Its pretty clear that the ALT oscillates before the IAS

image.png.93629f23ac53d7af5b0110d1e8c2ca3e.png

this is earlier in the same flight, at the intermediate level off of 9500'. oscillations are just +/- 2 feet, which is expected. the rise/dip in the IAS is letting the plane accelerate before pulling the power back from 34 to 29" and closing the cowl flaps, until it settles down

image.png.746b3bb23a7ef5f86c6c9412a9143b05.png

Its pretty clear that the ALT oscillates before the IAS

image.png.93629f23ac53d7af5b0110d1e8c2ca3e.png

this is the same flight, at the intermediate level off of 9500'. oscillations are just +/- 2 feet, which is expected. the rise/dip in the IAS is letting the plane accelerate before pulling the power back from 34 to 29" and closing the cowl flaps, until it settles down

image.png.746b3bb23a7ef5f86c6c9412a9143b05.png

Can you post altitude vs FD pitch?

I've stared at this stuff for a long time, and its still hard to tell analytically if thee's too much friction, too much gain, or if the sensors are fluctuating because of blockage/leak

I don't think its the sensors because the GPS ground speed and altitudes fluctuate with the pitot-static IAS and ALT

image.png.9aea9da5d205484660fd5d7a62a9b94f.png 

11 hours ago, rbp said:

I've stared at this stuff for a long time, and its still hard to tell analytically if thee's too much friction, too much gain, or if the sensors are fluctuating because of blockage/leak

I don't think its the sensors because the GPS ground speed and altitudes fluctuate with the pitot-static IAS and ALT

image.png.9aea9da5d205484660fd5d7a62a9b94f.png 

It’s a closed loop system, so it could be any of the above. 

• Like 1

Went to get the software updated in all my Garmin equipment (G500TXi, 2x GTN 650Xi, 2xGI 275, GFC 500, FS 510) and after the GI 275 software update, none of the 4 AP servos would come back online.  They are all the servos included in the recall, mine were installed early but had been working well.  Looks like I'll be having all 4 replaced next week, luckily the shop is able to get them for me without a delay.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, 201Mooniac said:

Went to get the software updated in all my Garmin equipment (G500TXi, 2x GTN 650Xi, 2xGI 275, GFC 500, FS 510) and after the GI 275 software update, none of the 4 AP servos would come back online.  They are all the servos included in the recall, mine were installed early but had been working well.  Looks like I'll be having all 4 replaced next week, luckily the shop is able to get them for me without a delay.

Bad luck on the servos, but the panel you describe sounds perfect to me.

4 hours ago, 201Mooniac said:

Turns out if you have GTN650+GNC355 instead of 2xGTN650, you don't need FS510. The GNC has Bluetooth, and you can cross fill to the GTN. 

8 hours ago, Pinecone said:

The updating using an FS510 is via Wifi, not Bluetooth.

GTX-345 also has BT, but you cannot use that connection to update charts and nav data.

Bluetooth does’t have enough bandwidth to update charts; that’s why FS uses WiFi.

7 hours ago, PeytonM said:

@Mooniac201: When your servos went kaput, you updated from what software version to what versions?

When updating the GI275 from v2.52 to v2.60.  I'm not the first to experience this on the update to v2.60, apparently they are doing more strenuous testing of the servos in v2.60 to ensure they are working properly and marginal ones that were passing may no longer pass, at least that is how I understand the problem.

2 hours ago, PeytonM said:

Since i have a G5 and G3X, these update numbers do not apply. 

THey don't but there is the same problem with the updates for those as the problem (as I understand it at least) is in ther servo software which is bundled with the release for the appropriate driving device.

52 minutes ago, PeytonM said:

hre was an update to address autotrim in late March, which I did ver 8.02 for the G5 and 9.02 for the G3X.
/

In early May there were further updates for each unit, which I have not done. 

The updates to correct trim runaway (9.02/8.02) tightened servo monitoring parameters. The later G3X update doesn't mention the servos and doesn't include a further update to the G5 beyond 8.02. As I understand the issue, Garmin has determined that the servos built before last fall sometime have an unacceptable long-term failure rate. If the software update flagged the servos, it means that they are already on their way out.

2 hours ago, PT20J said:

The later G3X update doesn't mention the servos and doesn't include a further update to the G5 beyond 8.02.

Just a slight correction Skip, the G3X update to 9.15 does include the G5 8.20 update according to SB 23046.

• G3X software version 9.15 includes G5 software version 8.20

1 hour ago, Mooney in Oz said:

Just a slight correction Skip, the G3X update to 9.15 does include the G5 8.20 update according to SB 23046.

• G3X software version 9.15 includes G5 software version 8.20

Yep, my bad. I must have read the .20 as .02 when I originally read it.