Anybody ever experience this with a GTN & Connext

flyboy0681

For the past few months when I fire up the GTN 750, the Connext feature does not come online. When I go to the System page, the blue Connext button is grayed out and disabled. Then at sometime during the flight, it starts working, with no rhyme or reason as to when.. it could be 10 minutes or 40 - but it eventually starts up. I had my shop check the wiring between the Flightstream 210 and GTN and they said it was secure.

Connext between other devices or to your iPad?  I've noticed that I need to have my iPad turned on when the GTN finishes it startup process or it will not connect. 

Also, the iPad cannot be connected to my phones Hotspot or any other WiFi device.  Just needs to be sitting there in ForeFlight waiting for the GTN to search for it.

37 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

Connext between other devices or to your iPad?  I've noticed that I need to have my iPad turned on when the GTN finishes it startup process or it will not connect. 

Also, the iPad cannot be connected to my phones Hotspot or any other WiFi device.  Just needs to be sitting there in ForeFlight waiting for the GTN to search for it.

Any device. It's not a device connection, Connext itself doesn't start up. As I said, the Connext button is greyed out on the Systems menu.

Is your 750 an xi? If so, you need the latest firmware on the FS210. The older Flightstream firmware has a timing issue with the newer 750s and it will intermittently grey out the Connext icon exactly as you're describing. You can update the FS by connecting to it over Bluetooth with Garmin Pilot, and selecting the Devices page, which will let you update to the latest (2.91 I believe).

12 hours ago, adverseyaw said:

Is your 750 an xi? If so, you need the latest firmware on the FS210. The older Flightstream firmware has a timing issue with the newer 750s and it will intermittently grey out the Connext icon exactly as you're describing. You can update the FS by connecting to it over Bluetooth with Garmin Pilot, and selecting the Devices page, which will let you update to the latest (2.91 I believe).

Mine is a 750 classic.

• 3 weeks later...

Was talking to Garmin about another difficulty and asked the same question just this week.  Except in my case, involves my iPad with Garmin Pilot, GI-275s ad GNX375.  Tells me I need to pair my iPad.  Funny, it is showing position and traffic, just no flight plan transfer.  

46 minutes ago, David Lloyd said:

Was talking to Garmin about another difficulty and asked the same question just this week.  Except in my case, involves my iPad with Garmin Pilot, GI-275s ad GNX375.  Tells me I need to pair my iPad.  Funny, it is showing position and traffic, just no flight plan transfer.  

Same situation, traffic does show up on the iPad. Like I said earlier, in my case the Connext button on the System menu is disabled when this occurs. There is no rhyme or reason.

Short trip today, could not get mine to connect on the way down, did fine coming home.  iPad was not restarted in between, kind of indicting the GI-275.  

1 Year old iPad Air with latest update, 375 with the latest update, 275 updated in October, don't have the latest from 2 weeks ago.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Tom Pegrume said:

I have exactly the same problem on a classic GTN750. Happened since the Avionics shop did a software update. I have an FS210. Did anyone get resolution to this problem?

Also VCALC utility has disappeared and replaced with VNAV which is asking for a barometric input!

No resolution. When I sent a support request to Garmin, the response was to check the wiring of the GTN.

I have exactly the same problem on a classic GTN750. Happened since the Avionics shop did a software update. I have an FS210. Did anyone get resolution to this problem?

Also VCALC utility has disappeared and replaced with VNAV which is asking for a barometric input!

The VCALC/VNAV is a configuration issue. This happened the last time I had my 650 upgraded. It defaults to VNAV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8 hours ago, Tom Pegrume said:

I have started having the problem in my 231 that has a 430, FS210, GI275's and Foreflight with latest updates.

While flying with a friend in his 252 with a 430 & 530, FS210, GI275's and Foreflight with the latest updates, he had the same problem.

In neither plane did we have any avionics updates. On both planes we have been able to overcome the problem by re-booting the iPads and turning off the avionics master switch and re-booting the avionics. Maybe this is a Foreflight or iPad update problem??

10 minutes ago, Tom 4536 said:

I have started having the problem in my 231 that has a 430, FS210, GI275's and Foreflight with latest updates.

While flying with a friend in his 252 with a 430 & 530, FS210, GI275's and Foreflight with the latest updates, he had the same problem.

In neither plane did we have any avionics updates. On both planes we have been able to overcome the problem by re-booting the iPads and turning off the avionics master switch and re-booting the avionics. Maybe this is a Foreflight or iPad update problem??

Not the same issue I'm reporting. When this happens to me, the Connext button on the SYSTEM menu is disabled and grayed out. The result of this is that no traffic appears on the iPad. Then out of nowhere (anywhere from 10 to 40 minutes in the air), traffic suddenly appears and when I see it I immediately go to the Connext button and find that it's enabled.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Not the same issue I'm reporting. When this happens to me, the Connext button on the SYSTEM menu is disabled and grayed out. The result of this is that no traffic appears on the iPad. Then out of nowhere (anywhere from 10 to 40 minutes in the air), traffic suddenly appears and when I see it I immediately go to the Connext button and find that it's enabled.

Interesting, because my other problem in my 231 panel is that my Connext turns off after about 60 minutes. (Foreflight tells me the Connext status.) My avionics installer told me it is a quirk of the FS210. He told me to turnoff the Bluetooth/FS210 circuit breaker when Connext turns off. I find I need to leave the breaker off about 10 minutes before Connext will restart. It acts like it is an overheating problem.

1 minute ago, ArtVandelay said:

I’ve had to start over, deleting connections and force a new pairing connection. I’m not patient enough to wait to see if it recovers on its own.

With the problem I have, I can't remove the pairing connection from the GTN side because the Connext button is disabled.

With the problem I have, I can't remove the pairing connection from the GTN side because the Connext button is disabled.

Next time that happens, reboot holding home key, look for rs232 connections to Flightstream. The only other thing I can think of is the CB is bad and it’s not getting enough power, I would replace it.

7 minutes ago, Cruiser said:

this is a common problem. Several mention on the BeechTalk forum also. Sorry, but I cannot find and solutions mentioned that fixed it. Seems Garmin is silent about the matter. 

If anyone knows how to fix it, please post a solution. 

It has to be related to the latest update to the GTN. The Connext/Flightstream system had been bulletproof up until January of last year, which by no coincidence is when I had the software updated to 6.60.