New Visors

Stan

Installed my new visors yesterday.  Got them from that Texas Mooney shop, "Visors by Muncy."

Had a set of Rosens in another plane and these are easier to install, with an outstanding price, and they work great.  

Thanks, Don!

IMG_1468.jpg.ea4df0f5db4c02674ac7d9477c839b37.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Actually what I think you're saying is that you sent him part of your old visor and he was able to make you Owner-produced parts for your airplane. :)

Actually, you are almost correct. Anyone wanting visors should specify that they require aluminum hardware, fully articulating joints, and tinted acrylic shades. I will then build them according to those directions.

• Like 4

Actually, you are almost correct. Anyone wanting visors should specify that they require aluminum hardware, fully articulating joints, and tinted acrylic shades. I will then build them according to those directions.

d893d8349fe9a7d2126753d3344daf85.jpg

And they still are working great. Thanks Don. (Only thing I kept when I redid the interior).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 1 month later...

"Visors by Muncy". I know it was a joke, but I kind of like it. That is what I might become.

I have been toying with anodizing the aluminum hardware. I have discovered that anodizing is not difficult, but is is messy, time-consuming and difficult to get consistent results. Take a look at my second attempt here. (The first was a dismal failure). You might not be able to see it, but the rods look really great and the joints, not so much.

What is the consensus of the group as to whether this is worthwhile to keep pursuing. Do you like the black more than aluminum? How much extra would you pay for black hardware vs aluminum colored? I was thinking about an additional $20 per set. (From $140 to $160.) It is actually more trouble than that, but I try to keep the cost within reason.

Anodized visor.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Don,

Two questions:

Could I send my Muncy visors back to you for anodizing treatment?

And two, I'm thinking about installing a JPI 900. Since the 900 would then be the primary engine instrumentation, I'll have that long space to fill where the engine instruments were at the top of the panel. There are plenty of commercial sources for covers for 3 1/8" and 2" holes, but I've never come across a source for a cover to fill that long engine instrument space in the J. I have no idea how much of a market there might be for a cover like that, but is that something you would consider manufacturing?

17 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

"Visors by Muncy". I know it was a joke, but I kind of like it. That is what I might become.

I have been toying with anodizing the aluminum hardware. I have discovered that anodizing is not difficult, but is is messy, time-consuming and difficult to get consistent results. Take a look at my second attempt here. (The first was a dismal failure). You might not be able to see it, but the rods look really great and the joints, not so much.

What is the consensus of the group as to whether this is worthwhile to keep pursuing. Do you like the black more than aluminum? How much extra would you pay for black hardware vs aluminum colored? I was thinking about an additional $20 per set. (From $140 to $160.) It is actually more trouble than that, but I try to keep the cost within reason.

Anodized visor.jpg

Don, the anodizing looks great. I've looked briefly into home anodizing and was discouraged by the chemicals and mess. Have you thought about black oxide? I don't know what's involved in that process, though. Either would be better than bare aluminum. 

2 hours ago, John Mininger said:

And two, I'm thinking about installing a JPI 900. Since the 900 would then be the primary engine instrumentation, I'll have that long space to fill where the engine instruments were at the top of the panel. There are plenty of commercial sources for covers for 3 1/8" and 2" holes, but I've never come across a source for a cover to fill that long engine instrument space in the J. I have no idea how much of a market there might be for a cover like that, but is that something you would consider manufacturing?

I would consider cutting the new panel instead of blanking the nonstandard holes... It looks much better. Any water jet place could do it and it wouldn't be that much. I used the "Big Blue Saw" and they even have their own  online CAD tool to design the panel which I didn't use. Great prices and they ship fast; well they did couple of years ago.

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Don, the anodizing looks great. I've looked briefly into home anodizing and was discouraged by the chemicals and mess. Have you thought about black oxide? I don't know what's involved in that process, though. Either would be better than bare aluminum. 

I briefly looked at "black oxide" and what I'm seeing is that it only works an ferrous metals. Do you know something different. 

Naturally, I thought of merely painting them, but I do not see that as a worthwhile venture.

From the few responses so far, it looks like I need to perfect my anodizing skills.

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2021 at 8:16 AM, John Mininger said:

Hi Don,

Two questions:

Could I send my Muncy visors back to you for anodizing treatment?

John,

I think I have my anodizing down to a reliable process now. And yes, if you would anodize yours for you if you (or anyone else that bought mine) would like to send them back to me. I will charge $20 for the anodizing. If you want to disassemble them and only send the aluminum parts, the shipping probably won't be too bad.

The anodizing process is a PITA, with a steep learning curve, and a real mess to set up and take down. But I think they are pretty nice. I just feel sorry I didn't do it sooner. 

As to the instrument cover, I could probably come up with something if you could come up with the measurements and work with me on testing and fitting.

Don

I have your visors and vote for anodizing, anodizing would make them look more like a finished product, meaning no insult at all.

However I thought anodizing was like powder coating, yes you can do it, but unless your doing a lot it’s just better to have it done?

On edit, don’t anodize any critical structural parts though, it changes either strength or fatigue resistance. I read a few years ago an FAA article where the builder of a home built helicopter had his swash plate anodized and it failed killing him.

Sun visors I’m sure will be no problem at all, it’s not like we are constantly stressing them

https://www.witpress.com/Secure/elibrary/papers/SURF01/SURF01037FU.pdf

Edited by A64Pilot

4 hours ago, Frank said:

They look great! Are the visors model-specific or does one design work for all M20s

Thanks. Yes and no. The early models are different (I am not sure where they switched, somewhere around Fs), but all the later ones are the same.

3 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

I have your visors and vote for anodizing, anodizing would make them look more like a finished product, meaning no insult at all.

However I thought anodizing was like powder coating, yes you can do it, but unless your doing a lot it’s just better to have it done

I agree, the anodizing looks a lot better to me. And no offense taken.

Actually, anodizing is a process to form a layer of aluminum oxide on the surface, which is then colored. Yes, if you had a bunch of them to do, having them done at a shop would be better, but the shops charge a lot to turn out a small number. I make my visors by hand, and do not turn out a batch of them. 

Thanks. Yes and no. The early models are different (I am not sure where they switched, somewhere around Fs), but all the later ones are the same.
PM sent

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Keep up the great work Don!

There is a change for standard Long Bodies….
They have very short and smallish visors that avoid covering switches at the ceiling….
Just an FYI… 

Best regards,
-a-
Yep, this is what I have now.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...