Jump to content

Any MSers based in the Missoula Mt Area?


Recommended Posts

I was hoping to find some new aviation friends in the Missoula area. I bought a place in Lolo Mt and would like to find a hangar in either Stevenville or Missoula. I would love some local intel and new friends in the area! I will be basing my KitFox there and also commuting regularly between Mt and San Diego with my Mooney. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, AH-1 Cobra Pilot said:

My son lives there.  He has looked for a flying club to join, but without so much luck. 

The next time I visit there, I will give you a Flight Review in exchange for a ride in your KitFox.

You got it! The KitFox should be finished mid summer. I’m really looking forward to flying it and exploring the area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2021 at 9:29 PM, kmyfm20s said:

I was hoping to find some new aviation friends in the Missoula area. I bought a place in Lolo Mt and would like to find a hangar in either Stevenville or Missoula. I would love some local intel and new friends in the area! I will be basing my KitFox there and also commuting regularly between Mt and San Diego with my Mooney. 

I live outside of Helena.  My Mooney is based out of KHLN.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2021 at 10:29 PM, kmyfm20s said:

I was hoping to find some new aviation friends in the Missoula area. I bought a place in Lolo Mt and would like to find a hangar in either Stevenville or Missoula. I would love some local intel and new friends in the area! I will be basing my KitFox there and also commuting regularly between Mt and San Diego with my Mooney. 

This is a question for the map keeper, @gsxrpilot

He will chime in soon enough if asked nicely. :):)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, PeteMc said:

What's happening around Flathead Lake this summer.  I'm assuming they'll be pretty open.

Such a cool place to fly!  I would love to meet there as well.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I’ve been casually looking for a place in northern Idaho/NW Montana.  What ultimately pulled you to Lolo?  Ideally I’d like to form a partnership on a hangar / taildragger for the vacation destination. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MIm20c said:

So I’ve been casually looking for a place in northern Idaho/NW Montana.  What ultimately pulled you to Lolo?  Ideally I’d like to form a partnership on a hangar / taildragger for the vacation destination. 

I grew up at the beach but always belonged in the mountains. I like hunting, fly fishing, skiing, flying and backpacking. I wanted remoteness/privacy but also wanted to be an arm distance from a city with a reliable commercial airport as well as restaurants, and shopping. I will need to be able to commute to San Diego to see my kids and continue to run my office.  Commuting will be by the Mooney weather permitting or the airlines which has a direct flight available.  Missoula is somewhat of a college town and we liked the vibe of it not being so touristy as the other mountain towns we looked at and we looked at a lot. We can go to several of the touristy places with a drive or short Mooney flight. It has an excellent hospital and Cardiac center which is important to use not because we have health issues but we want to transition to living there full time and could need it as we get older.  I have a place off highway 12 in Lolo which is the Scenic by way between Montana and Idaho and 20-25 minutes to Missoula, it really checked off all the boxes for me. My KitFox will be finished up this summer (fingers crossed) and many of the Idaho backcountry strips are less then a hour flight over the most scenic wilderness you could ask for. Missoula airport and Stevensville airport are equal distance from me.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

I’m going to be flying my plane up in MT next week. I walked Seeley lake(23S) strip last week and looked like a nice turf strip to to land on. If anyone interested in meeting up there next week let me know. Weather looks great so far. They also have on field camp sights with plenty of firewood for those interested. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, kmyfm20s said:

I’m going to be flying my plane up in MT next week. I walked Seeley lake(23S) strip last week and looked like a nice turf strip to to land on. If anyone interested in meeting up there next week let me know. Weather looks great so far. They also have on field camp sights with plenty of firewood for those interested. 

What days are you planning on being at Seeley?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, kpaul said:

What days are you planning on being at Seeley?

I will be at our place in Lolo for a week and was going to fly over Glacier one morning for some sight seeing. The weather is looking great! I thought some people in the area might want to get together. I can do any day between the 3rd-8th. I assume the weekend would work best for most people. Seeley Lake (23S) or Ferndale (53U) looked like nice turf strips for a meet up. Let’s see if @john buhrman, @Mufflerbearing, @merlin, @AH-1 Cobra Pilot, or @PeteMc have any interest.  I will be in Montana just about every other week from now on so if those dates don’t work we can try another time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I work 7 days on 7 off.  I start this Friday.  If everyone gets together I will try to swing it.

@john buhrmanif your transition training takes you to KBTM hit me up, there is a good chance I will be hanging out there now that the weather is improving.  I work on the North end, Life Flight Network hangar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kpaul said:

I work 7 days on 7 off.  I start this Friday.  If everyone gets together I will try to swing it.

@john buhrmanif your transition training takes you to KBTM hit me up, there is a good chance I will be hanging out there now that the weather is improving.  I work on the North end, Life Flight Network hangar.

It looks like a different week will work out better to get a group together. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i will be in the bozeman /livingston area the week of july 2....have flown to Seeley numerous times and in fine shape.No fuel avalible but bikes and a courtsy van supplied by the local steak house ,Lindys is usually availble.The mt state laiison for the raf,scott newpower has a bonanza based there.they have a summer flyin and cleanup of a forrest service strip in the Bob Marshall...perfect for a kitfox...but his bonanza gos in too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.