Search Concluded - Mooney Missile

Seth

I've looked at a few planes, put offers on three, walked away from a 252, had an offer on a Missile rejected before it hit the open market, and now, am pleased to annouce that I have upgraded to and purchased a Mooney Missile.

N1165N is a 1983 Mooney M20J 300 Missile.

I test flew her up in MN two weeks ago with Bruce Jaeger and at 9000 feet, not pushing too hard, saw 181 knots.

I'll give more details later, but I'm very happy with the purchase.  The prebuy inspection turned up only a few items, one was a big issue, but it all worked out.  I'll give more information later, but here are some pics!

Thanks for the advice over the past few months regarding my upgrade.  Also, my 1967 M20F is under contract, so once that deal closes, I should be in good shape.

Take care,

-Seth

post-163-13468140483218_thumb.jpg

post-163-13468140483423_thumb.jpg

post-163-13468140483604_thumb.jpg

post-163-13468140483827_thumb.jpg

post-163-13468140484116_thumb.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Seth!  The search is always the most grueling process and thank goodness it's over.  Exciting and hopefully good times ahead.

Great looking airplane!!  Looks as though it was really cared for whoever was the steward before you.

Blue skies,

B~

Quote: Seth

I've looked at a few planes, put offers on three, walked away from a 252, had an offer on a Missile rejected before it hit the open market, and now, am pleased to annouce that I have upgraded to and purchased a Mooney Missile.

N1165N is a 1983 Mooney M20J 300 Missile.

I test flew her up in MN two weeks ago with Bruce Jaeger and at 9000 feet, not pushing too hard, saw 181 knots.

I'll give more details later, but I'm very happy with the purchase.  The prebuy inspection turned up only a few items, one was a big issue, but it all worked out.  I'll give more information later, but here are some pics!

Thanks for the advice over the past few months regarding my upgrade.  Also, my 1967 M20F is under contract, so once that deal closes, I should be in good shape.

Take care,

-Seth

If you are planning upgrades or mods to your Missile I would put on the list long range tanks. At speeds over 180kts you can now make those 1000nm trips at about the same time (door to door) as the airlines. But need the extra fuel that the added power requires. It makes the Missile a practical and economical machine for long trips. No need to worry about topping-off the pee bottle.Laughing

José 

Quote: Piloto

If you are planning upgrades or mods to your Missile I would put on the list long range tanks. At speeds over 180kts you can now make those 1000nm trips at about the same time (door to door) as the airlines. But need the extra fuel that the added power requires. It makes the Missile a practical and economical machine for long trips. No need to worry about topping-off the pee bottle.Laughing

José 

Can't wait for those additional performance details to come, Seth. I suspect you're in for a fun time.

I know the guy who designed your very nice paint job. Several of us here have used his reasonable services.

Congrats Seth!!!  I'm glad you finally sealed the deal.  You'll love the performance and economy you get from her.  I consistantly get 186kts TAS at 8000-9000 msl on 16.5-17 gph.  A little tip I learned from Rocket Engineering.  They do not recomend running them LOP.  The exhaust is so tighly packed that it will become to hot and will prematurely fail.  The gentleman I purchased mine from flew it LOP and becuase of that I just had to have Rocket Engeneering rebuild my entire exhaust sytstem.  It had only 938 hours on it!

The comment about the exhaust failing because of LOP operations makes no sense. If you fly it 50 ROP the EGT's will be higher than 50 LOP will result in.

I had to yellow tag my Rocket exhaust even though the prior owner ran it ROP. I have 800 hrs of operations both ways since the yellow tag repair and everything looks great. Do not neglect a high temp lubricant on every slip joint at every oil change!

Don't attempt LOP if you don't have digital fuel flow and a monitor system

My $.02