Windshield replacement

Tommy

The crazing is getting worse in my '81J and I think I am ready to get all the windows replaced. Going to do it under I&A's supervision.

Just a few questions for those who have done the replacement before

1) Any real world difference between GLA's Grey and Solar-grey?

2) Does anyone have a link to detailed instruction of how to remove and replace the front windshield and side windows?

3) What sealant would you recommend?

Thanks everyone!

40 minutes ago, Tommy said:

The crazing is getting worse in my '81J and I think I am ready to get all the windows replaced. Going to do it under I&A's supervision.

Just a few questions for those who have done the replacement before

1) Any real world difference between GLA's Grey and Solar-grey?

2) Does anyone have a link to detailed instruction of how to remove and replace the front windshield and side windows?

3) What sealant would you recommend?

Thanks everyone!

When we replaced all the windows in my '66E in Dec. 2015 I consulted DMax and Mooney. The factory was using Flame Master CS3330 B2 at that time which was what we went with.  

We used GLAP Solar Grey all around and we opted for GLAP's pre-installed second vent window in the door. A nice feature.

Your side windows are different from my E's. We had to drill a lot of holes through the acrylic so yours will be easier. I had to remove my windshield with a hammer - there were at least 3 different caulks, putties and sealants used over the years.

I had green tinted glass in my 172 which I replaced with Great Lakes Aero’s green tint with the UV screen all the way around. They refer to it as “Solar Control”. I am happy that I did this.

From a practical point of view, there is one difference that I noticed right away which occurred during my $100 hamburger runs. I keep my plane hangared so it is not sitting out in the hot sun. When we fly for lunch, the plane is sitting out on the ramp, heating up. When I had just the regular, original green tint, climbing back in the plane felt like climbing into an oven. With the UV screen, Solar Control glass, it no longer feels like an oven. The cabin remains much cooler. That is good for your avionics, your interior and your interior plastics.

I think the more important and valuable reason for getting the UV screen is protecting your health. The incidence of skin cancer in the pilot population is significantly higher than the general population as a whole. This is due to the fact that your UV exposure increases somewhere between 3% to 5% for each 1,000 foot increase in altitude. If you are essentially at sea level, like I am, then climb up to 8,000 ft, I would be exposed to a 24% to 40% increase in UV Radiation.

As I have posted before, my Dad flew from 1942 until just a few months before he turned 90 and died in late 2015. He died of Melanoma, the most deadly form of skin cancer. It started in the center of his chest. Now, that is significant, I think, because he was not a sun bather or someone that walked around without a shirt on. He did, however, typically wear thin, light shirts when flying. He flew for 73 years. Some of his flying included high altitude glider flights in wave conditions, one of which exceeded 30,000 ft. He was wearing a lot more than a light shirt during those high altitude flights but consider the increase in UV exposure at that altitude...90% to 150% greater than at sea level?!

Personally, I believe it is a false economy to go cheap to save a little money while passing up the benefits of the UV screen.

Edited by BKlott

Sounds like a lot of hard work indeed. Do i need to remove the avionics rack to facilitate the process? And i assum that I need to repaint the metal strip that covers the windshield?

Also I wonder if anyone has a photo of what GLA grey or solar grey looks like?