New attitude indicator

I still think about this crash on almost a monthly basis. The being VFR on top with a AI failure and ending up going down with multiple passengers...the ATC audio sticks with me, not really sure why this one in particular. 

me as well and I continue to use it as an example to my instrument students. If you're like me, its probably because of the cavalier attitude of the pilot that thought this was not a big deal at all, that he was simply going to descend down through 6k of IMC. Sadly his attitude didn't seem to change even though it appears he managed to get back on top after loosing control on his first attempt! Then he tries the second time to descend with disastrous results. Yet people say their was VFR wx about 40 minutes to his north if he could have realized his limitations. Yet he didn't appear realize his limitations till the plane broke up. So sad and I think so avoidable if he had taken the situation as a true emergency. 

Given the aluminum and body shower that followed the breakup from about 4K' up its kinda hard not to be disturbed by this accident.

I hope more pilots learn something from it.

18 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

A friend of mine flew a night IFR flight using nothing but an IPAD with Stratus. He turned the instrument lights down till they were off so he couldn't see them. This included a real instrument approach at the other end of the trip.

He said it was easier than using the ships instruments. 

He made this trip almost every night for almost a year, so he was bored.

Its basically like the PFD we have in the G1000.

-Robert

31 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

A friend of mine flew a night IFR flight using nothing but an IPAD with Stratus. He turned the instrument lights down till they were off so he couldn't see them. This included a real instrument approach at the other end of the trip.

He said it was easier than using the ships instruments. 

He made this trip almost every night for almost a year, so he was bored.

Your friend is far from alone. Some push the envelope much further too.  I know of pilots that have used the synthetic vision feature on my G500 glass panel to to find the runway and land below ILS 200' minimums - quite successfully. But I also know a retired air force colonel w/ 10K+ hours that died taking 2 others while relying on his synthetic vision too close to the ground - hit a tree branch. 

I guess it works till it doesn't.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

Your friend is far from alone. Some push the envelope much further too.  I know of pilots that have used the synthetic vision feature on my G500 glass panel to to find the runway and land below ILS 200' minimums - quite successfully. But I also know a retired air force colonel w/ 10K+ hours that died taking 2 others while relying on his synthetic vision too close to the ground - hit a tree branch. 

I guess it works till it doesn't.   

I wouldn't count on it as a primary, but if my vacuum pump went out I think it is a viable backup in an emergency.

39 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

All you need is 1 moment that the tablet hangs, maybe connecting to the network as you get close to the ground. I’ve seen it on every multiprocessing system I’ve ever used. I’m not using my iPad unless it’s a last resort.

Around here you have to worry about it overheating. If I set it on the passengers seat with the sun shining on it, it will go into overheat mode. But if the sun is shining on it you probably don't have to count on it.

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Around here you have to worry about it overheating. If I set it on the passengers seat with the sun shining on it, it will go into overheat mode. But if the sun is shining on it you probably don't have to count on it.

Many is the time I've taken off on IFR clearance and climbed through the murk to emerge in sunlight. I've also flown along happily in the sunshine and started an Approach, descending into the goo to land, but not as often.

17 minutes ago, Hank said:

Many is the time I've taken off on IFR clearance and climbed through the murk to emerge in sunlight. I've also flown along happily in the sunshine and started an Approach, descending into the goo to land, but not as often.

Usually on those days it’s not that hot. When the OAT is 117 and the sun is bright, it will overheat in two minuets.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

57 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Usually on those days it’s not that hot. When the OAT is 117 and the sun is bright, it will overheat in two minuets.

Temps don't go quite that high here. Heat indexes do, though (which factor in humidity); I generally stay inside then, soaking up AC.

My iPad Air has a tendency to crash and close an App weekly... I’m not real fast at entering data, but I seem to have the skill to overload it sometimes...

Restarting the failed app is pretty quick, it doesn’t require restarting the iPad, but... that is going to seem like a really long approach, until it isn’t...

note about the environment... daytime, kitchen table, 75°F...

Seems to be app independent.

Anyone else experience the mystery of app crashes?

Best regards,

-a-

Hmmm.... All you Apple people. My Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 has never overheated or crashed in a couple hundred hours of flying." Including AZ and Nevada in the summer. It can also be bought for a little over $200. Now I need to go find some wood to knock on. 

I think @Raptor05121 has the same one and runs Droid EFB like I do. Alex, any overheating or random shut down issues? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Hmmm.... All you Apple people. My Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 has never overheated or crashed in a couple hundred hours of flying." Including AZ and Nevada in the summer. It can also be bought for a little over $200. Now I need to go find some wood to knock on. 

I think @Raptor05121 has the same one and runs Droid EFB like I do. Alex, any overheating or random shut down issues? 

Not at all. In fact, last month I flew to lunch and closed my cockpit door with the tablet accidentally on, and sitting in the sunlight. I came back to the think scorching hot and an overheat warning on the screen prompting to move it to shade, but it still worked as it should. Androids have much better passive cooling properties than Apple. The amount of failures I read on a daily basis in forums/Facebook groups/etc is scary.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2018 at 1:40 PM, M20Doc said:

The founder of the company is the co founder of Aspen according to their web site.

Clarence

must be already antiquated technology then ....oh wait! He used to be director of hardware engineering for Bendix king also..nevermind!

• Like 1

has the same one and runs Droid EFB like I do.

Droid EFB is a “Hello World “ program compared to Garmin Pilot. No dynamic maps, SV, or rubber banding, glide ring, Does it do traffic and weather? My mini can run FltplanGo but it pegs 100% with GP. It’s also 5 years old, in computer years that makes it a dinosaur. The heating issue is partly due to the cases containing the heat, I had the problem once and pulling it out the case fixed it.

BTW, the iPads shut themselves down to protect themselves, androids don’t and will get hot to touch. Apple was being conservative, in light of the various lithium battery fires, probably not a bad thing. If you look around you’ll see people complaining about androids getting hot as well.

• Like 1