Kns 770

Pritch

I have heard that King has only sold 2 of them.  They have made no attempt to upgrade a fairly clumsy system to keep up with their competitors.  I have heard that Honeywell is thinking about spinning King off.  I waited several years to see if they would get their act together and finally went for Garmin.

The NJ Mooney group went to see a presentation of the device.  It clearly wasn't ready at the time of the demonstration.

Watching all the updates that the two competitors are going through, it is unlikely that BK would be able to keep up with the work that is needed.  The tech team that is needed is larger than what BK had.  

i was so looking forward to keeping an all BK fully integrated panel.  The open architecture compared to the Big G, lock everybody out routine was refreshing.  They had so many suppliers of the guts, open architecture is all they could do.

To be a buyer, I would have to see half a dozen people using it on MS with endless good reports.  We have one report of the KSN770 that essentially said the screen was Klugey.  I took that to mean it wasn't done yet.  I didn't think my memory of that term could possibly last... it's been a couple of years since that day...?

Their KT74 seems to be meeting expectation.  

Their reboxing of the PS Engineering audio panel is a couple of versions behind.

Out of three products, they have one that people are buying, the transponder...

If you have dough, Big G is showing the way...

If you have less dough, Avidyne is showing the way with some improved features.

Both suppliers are well liked and their products are installed in Mooney's around here.

I have a KLN 90B that continues to soldier on with 90s technology, no -WAAS...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

I believe Brant Aero installed one in a Mooney a year or two ago. You could give them a call to see who's aircraft it went into and find out if there were any problems. Talk to Dan or Pat Field. 

BTW the Canadian dollar is at a great exchange rate for US customers if you needed an installation. 

(519) 753-7022

9 hours ago, flyntgr1 said:

There had to be more.  A buddy of my dads from Germany came over and bought the whole package (KSN770 & Kt74) to replace a Kln94, kmd250, and kt76 a few years ago.  My understanding is he likes it, but that's all i know about it.

Ok that's three we know of . . .lol

I was thinking about installing one .....  For a few reasons .... 

they would allow me to install it  and it would shave about $5k off installation cost,   I would still have to  have an Avionics shop verify the installation and build the wire bundle.

I hear that the KNS 770 has components commonality with Honeywell APEX line used high end Jets. 

I was thinking that   since  Aspen avionics  help design the unit that might mean more Nav Database  flexibility options So you wouldn't be   tied to Garmin / Jeppesen databases which I hear are prohibitively expensive  .  So in the future if I were to install an Aspen the ingratiation between the KNS770 and the Aspen should be fairly simple.

As I understand it  Seattle Avionics offered a  Life time database updates for the Aspen units  if you are fortunate enough  get one for  something like $800 one time. So it would be one and done  solution no more annual  subscriptions fees.  So could be potential possible Nav database life time updates for the KNS 770.

Talk to Bendix King Rep  told me that  would support in the future. His words were like all Bendix King Products.

i like that it was resistive touch screen I have issues with Ipad  sometimes work sometimes it doesn't  extremely annoying

Seems to have a very simple UI (user interface)  great when you are in the air.  The UI's are a huge pet peeve of mine.  If the manufacture designed it right shouldn't even need a user manual except to bring to attention to a new gesture or method of how a feature works.

things I didn't  after talking to  Bendix King rep... I asked him about Wi Fi connection for uploading and downloading flight plans between and Ipad  or other device he seem to indicate that it  would  never happen.  Big mistake in My opinion.

the other thing the bother me was screen resolution wasn't that great. 

With the electronic components planned obsolescence it is extremely hard  to predict.  if you  keep panel mounted GPS/NAV/COM system  for say 10 years  that cost $10k on up   because  such a  rapid development  with electronics components  cycle  makes me  wonder how a company can keep it promise of support.

Curious about  what others think   about  Garmin's and Avidyne Nav data  annual cost and flexibility  in Nav data base options?

Hopefully I didn't hijack this  thread.

Thanks,

James '67C

I installed a BendixKing KSN-770 along with a KT-74 last July (before the FAA rebate program). The KSN-770 replaced the KX-165, KN-64, and KLN-89B in my old panel. I was experienced with the Garmin units, and used the KSN-770 simulator to become familiar with the different "buttonology" before choosing the KSN-770 over the Garmin and Avidyne units. There were a couple known bugs in the KSN-770 software that I only learned about after installation (annoying), but those have supposedly been corrected in a recent software release. I have not had time to return to the dealer to get that update installed (it is covered under warranty), and will write a more detailed review on this post after I get that accomplished.

panel_small.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 4:32 PM, HeyChuck said:

I installed a BendixKing KSN-770 along with a KT-74 last July (before the FAA rebate program). The KSN-770 replaced the KX-165, KN-64, and KLN-89B in my old panel. I was experienced with the Garmin units, and used the KSN-770 simulator to become familiar with the different "buttonology" before choosing the KSN-770 over the Garmin and Avidyne units. There were a couple known bugs in the KSN-770 software that I only learned about after installation (annoying), but those have supposedly been corrected in a recent software release. I have not had time to return to the dealer to get that update installed (it is covered under warranty), and will write a more detailed review on this post after I get that accomplished.

panel_small.jpg

Nice Encore! My Oil Temp gauge on the '97 Encore I had did the same thing. If I remember correctly it was a loose ground.