Better resale & overall ease of use M20C or M20F?

Hi Mooney folks. I've been looking atan M20C or M20F. I was just about to purchase (from a mechanic - whose dad & he serviced the plane the last 20 yrs) a M20C! OK, called the closest Mooney expert who stated" he stated stay away from M20C" it will always be in the shop, save your money for an M20F or J? wow, cant justify a J - so which model by you the owners has been a better aircraft to service costs wise, maintain, and has better resale in a potentially tough market?

thx - dreambig (S.C.)

I'm not sure why anyone would say that a C would "always be in the shop." The C is one of the most simple complex aircraft out there. The main difference between a C and an F being the engine, the O-360 is completely bulletproof and less expensive to maintain/operate than it's injected brother.

I'm curious who your Mooney expert was. I don't know any who would disparage the M20C, or really any of the M20 lineup in that fashion.

Directly speaking to your financial question: on average, the C will be less expensive to maintain, and you'll have less of an investment, so any losses will be minimalized when compared to the F. Of course, these statements apply to the entire fleet of M20C's vs the entire fleet of M20F's, and specific examples may not follow suit.

If you're looking at the C and the F, what reason do you have not to consider an E?

I'd be very suspicious of that Mooney "expert"--as Rob said, the primary difference is the engine, and there's no reason the O-360 on the C would be any less reliable than the IO-360 on the F (though I wouldn't agree that it's any less expensive to maintain or operate, as long as you aren't replacing cylinders).

I would, however, recommend an F or higher if you thought you'd ever carry adult passengers in the back seat--the C just doesn't have much room there, while the F has quite a bit more (though it's still not exactly spacious).

Just speculating here, but are you sure the "local Mooney expert" didn't mean that you should stay away from that _particular_ C model? That's the only reading of it that makes any sense to me - all the systems are the same, and the O-360's reputation is quite the oppposite.

On the other hand, the word on the street may be that the specific plane in question is a basket case. A mechanic owning and maintaining it may mean it is well kept, but it may also mean that the guy's been pencil whipping it for 20 years because he can.

Again, I'm just speculating.

Quote: danb35

I'd be very suspicious of that Mooney "expert"--as Rob said, the primary difference is the engine, and there's no reason the O-360 on the C would be any less reliable than the IO-360 on the F (though I wouldn't agree that it's any less expensive to maintain or operate, as long as you aren't replacing cylinders).

I would, however, recommend an F or higher if you thought you'd ever carry adult passengers in the back seat--the C just doesn't have much room there, while the F has quite a bit more (though it's still not exactly spacious).

I have owned my '63 C model with manual flaps and manual gear for 3 1/2 years.  Other than basic annual costs, I have spent less on maintenance than my automobiles.  I've replaced a generator, vacuum pump (had 800 hrs on it) and had the exhaust rebuilt this year.  We have never had to postpone any trips due to maintenance issues.  I average 85-100 hours per year on cross country trips.  I normally fly 10,000-11,000 with full throttle.  My last trip from Arkansas to Georgia she burned 7.9 gph.

Other than the space in the back seat the F model has I think I have a near perfect traveling machine.  Of course, 99 percent of the time it is just my wife and I.  The C model is a great traveler for two people with all they want to carry and can keep in sight of the F model. 

Can't speak for the F, but my C model is perfect for single owner, one adult passenger, full fuel and full baggage. With our two dogs in the back, we have taken many trips coast to coast in it comfortably. I fly between 6-7,000 (higher if good tailwind), as my aircraft performs best at that altitude, burning about 10 gph. It is a great aircraft for the performance you get in a 180 horse engine.

Quote: moodychief

I have owned my '63 C model with manual flaps and manual gear for 3 1/2 years.  Other than basic annual costs, I have spent less on maintenance than my automobiles.  I've replaced a generator, vacuum pump (had 800 hrs on it) and had the exhaust rebuilt this year.  We have never had to postpone any trips due to maintenance issues.  I average 85-100 hours per year on cross country trips.  I normally fly 10,000-11,000 with full throttle.  My last trip from Arkansas to Georgia she burned 7.9 gph.

Other than the space in the back seat the F model has I think I have a near perfect traveling machine.  Of course, 99 percent of the time it is just my wife and I.  The C model is a great traveler for two people with all they want to carry and can keep in sight of the F model. 

sounds like you got some strange advice.  As everyone stated, the C and F models are very similar.  Fuel injection and longer fuselage are the main differences.  You'd probably get more argument in the manual vs. electric gear debate than the C vs. F.  Everyone will tell you that the C model is very reliable.

Remember you can get a lemon no matter what you buy, especially when you're dealing with 40-50 year old planes.