Nausea

14 minutes ago, Marauder said:

So, since some of you have admitted you are closet barfers, are any of you afraid of heights?

My toes tingle standing on my roof but I can be up 15,000 feet and nada.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually ... yeah.  I have no motion sickness.

But I get nervous even on a hike up a steep mountain that I will go rolling down the hill (or off a cliff!) if I step badly.  I am not nervous on a balcony even say 15 stories with a railing but I cannot even go on a roof or something like that if there is no railing even if it is just one story.  Meanwhile, I don't think twice about being 15,000 feet sitting happily inside an airplane.  These are an irrational combinations of fears and situations where I am comfortable, but that is why they call these things irrational.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Marauder said:

So, since some of you have admitted you are closet barfers, are any of you afraid of heights?

For the record, I am not a closet barfer.  I am very upfront with my weak stomach.

Heights?  Pit of the stomach feeling when too close to the edge of a building or when holding a really sharp knife (even kitchen knives) in a way where I could slice myself.  No pit in the stomach feeling (or tingling in your toes as you say) in the Mooney at altitude!

-Seth

• Like 1

Science has shown that what we conventionally call fear of heights is actually fear of falling, meaning fear of ledges and other opportunities for falling from a height. That fear for whatever reason doesn't seem to translate into fear of being high like an airplane or building.

I'm totally "afraid of heights"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

I am deathly afraid of heights. Edges of roofs make me queasy.  On anything above the 4th storey, I feel like a lemming.  

But strap a set of aluminum wings to my backside and I am good to go.

• Like 1

Yup, me and heights do not get along! It always feels like my legs are going to throw me over the side of whatever. Even driving a car across a bridge makes me uneasy.

But I've been to FL210 in both my glider and my Mooney without a problem. Weird, eh?

• Like 1

Love any and all roller-coasters.  Have a definite fear of heights.  Climbed a lighthouse this spring in Beaufort.  The steps were grated.  Took everything I had to climb the stairs.  Rubber legs/pit in the stomach/light shakiness in hands and feeling of general "dread".  My wife strolled right out onto the grated observation platform on exterior at top of tower.  Only then did she realize/remember how much I love heights.  I sat with one leg out the door...She said "View is amazing"...I sucked it up and did a Chevy Chase (Grand Canyon in Vacation) and retreated back inside.  I get terrets when on a ladder or roof, but grated stairs are worst.  I did do a concrete elevator survey where you had to ride a belt elevator (ZERO protection) and duck as you passed through concrete floors.  Took the reality of "You will die if you don't get off at top floor" to step off that thing.  NEVER AGAIN.  Just watched movie Everest and just shook my head over and over again while watching.  "Because it's there" is not going to get me on the side of any mountain.  I have repelled and done zip lines in military.  Crossed obstacles while 30 feet in the air and dropped in water.  Scariest part?  Climbing the tower.  Once hooked in I am good.  Weird...

In sustained light chop under layer with some humidity my brother tried out a bag.  I had procured from airline and have stored in pocket at front of seats and on back of front seats for rear seat passengers.  Only "Fail" in my plane to date.  He felt better.  Sealed just fine.  He didn't miss.  I think to be pilot helps reduce "the nausea" thing.  We are in control and focused on the task?

I carry these just in case - the hospital quality bags.  They seal really well just in case.  Two of my boys used to loose it occasionally when they are little.  Knock on wood its been a few years since anyone lost it.

https://www.zogomedical.com/bag-emesis-sickness-clean-up-clean-sack?gclid=CJbtoePK8M0CFc5Zhgod9BUBjg

Turbulence is like driving too fast on a bad dirt road. Slowing down makes it less uncomfortable. (Says the man who wasn't bothered by 50' seas between Victoria and Seattle. I paid for the food on that cruise,and on that leg was able to eat more than my share, as the dining rooms were only lightly attended.)