Unofficial 2016 Sun N Fun Thread

Marauder

Midway stops that I have made in the past from NJ....

Used KHXD Hilton Head, borrowed crew car to get lunch. Fancy, upscale and busy...

Stayed at KGGE Georgetown and camped on site.  Place was closed early. Nobody to ask anything.

Stayed at KFFA camped in hellacious and chilly winds. Walked into town for dinner. No services.  Camping, not welcomed...:)

Fueled at KMQI Dare County

Fueled at KSSI 

No reservations, no plans, just went....balancing sun-down with fuel in tanks.

Best regards,

-a-

On 2/13/2016 at 1:48 PM, Marauder said:

I may have walked into a good situation. A friend's parents live in Winter Haven and we are making plans on flying down together and staying with his parents. That will give me some flexibility for my schedule.

So who can tell me about KGIF? Also, unlike Stinky Pants, I don't have an endless bladder in me or my plane. I'm looking at stopping in South Carolina. Anyone familiar and can provide recommendations for airports around KMYR?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Winterhaven KGIF is a great little airport. Has a good restaurant on field. An order of pancakes in the morning will hold you over all day. Jack Brown's sea plane base is there, he cranks out seaplane ratings all year long. Decent self serve price, rental cars available.

Chris, I used to go into GIF all the time when I was selling to Scotty's Home Centers headquartered there. Nice airport but that was 30 years ago. 

Guys, it looks like my friend with camping equipment will be able to go so I'm looking to come down for a night or 2. Chris, let me know what days(s) you'll be there. I may be flexible.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Midway stops that I have made in the past from NJ....

Used KHXD Hilton Head, borrowed crew car to get lunch. Fancy, upscale and busy... YEP, GOOD DESCRIPTION.

Stayed at KGGE Georgetown and camped on site.  Place was closed early. Nobody to ask anything.

Stayed at KFFA camped in hellacious and chilly winds. Walked into town for dinner. No services.  Camping, not welcomed...:)  THE PARK SERVICE FROWNS ON OVERNIGHT VISITORS. MAY EVEN BE A SIGN TO THAT EFFECT. NO FUEL, NO SERVICES

Fueled at KMQI Dare County  TWO CROSSING RUNWAYS, GOOD FUEL, ON AN ISLAND BEHIND THE OUTER BANKS. STOPPED FOR FUEL COMING BACK FROM FFA, MAYBE 6NM. WATCH OUT FOR THE BIPLANES GIVING TOURS. LOTS OF CHATTER ON UNICOM FROM EVERYONE IN THE AREA.

Fueled at KSSI  I'VE HEARD GOOD THING ABOUT SSI, BUT HAVENT VISITED YET. MAYBE THIS YEAR!

No reservations, no plans, just went....balancing sun-down with fuel in tanks.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

The thread got me motivated tonight to start thinking ahead. Probably going to be flying the following plan KDYR-O6A-KZPH 594nm. Pick up a rental car at KZPH and staying just on the outskirts (Plant City). That's the general plan at this point. Glad to see pricing looks a little better than Oshkosh. Never been to Zephyrhills. Get there on Tuesday and leave Saturday..

-Tom 

Cool! Let me know when you'll be in Tuskegee. There are few food options (unless the FBO is doing something special), but I'll run you into town if I'm not working. The Museum is open every day but Sunday.

Last I saw it, fuel is $3.35, full serve only.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Hank said:

Cool! Let me know when you'll be in Tuskegee. There are few food options (unless the FBO is doing something special), but I'll run you into town if I'm not working. The Museum is open every day but Sunday.

Last I saw it, fuel is $3.35, full serve only.

Will do..Be great to put a handshake to forum handle..thanks

-Tom

On February 10, 2016 at 5:03 PM, mike_elliott said:

Plant city has a shuttle, KISM isn't far and has rental cars. ZepherHills will have cheap gas, a bit further of a drive, not sure on rentals. I should be there almost everyday, ping me. Most likely the people at the Silver Wings cottage or the Mooney Exhibit will know where I am.

Oh, and don't forget to take back a flat of Plant City Strawberries. They will be available right from the farms' roadside stand on Co.Road just west of the airport.

EDIT:

Scratch what I said about KISM. Just went to the Jet Center there today and have never been treated so badly. I went to pick my son up to let him fly a bit, They charged him $5 to park his car and me $15 to just pick him up in addition to the rude treatment by both line and desk help, after buying fuel. Normally I don't gripe, and always by gas when my wheels touch someone's ramp, but this was well below any kind of standard we should accept.

"New policy as of last week" I was told,

Coincidentally I researched several options for a trip I'm planning. Kissemmee jet center at KISM was one of them. I assume that's who you are referring to Mike.

They do indeed charge 15$ with no fuel. However with a 10 gal fuel purchase they provide an extremely generous 5 day FREE parking! As far as pax parking it's FREE in designated area outside the gate. Inside it's 5$.

Must be accurate and fair! 

3 minutes ago, PTK said:

Coincidentally I researched several options for a trip I'm planning. Kisseemmee jet center at KISM was one of them. I assume that's who you are referring to Mike.

They do indeed charge 15$ with no fuel. However with a 10 gal fuel purchase they provide an extremely generous 5 day FREE parking! As far as pax parking it's FREE in designated area outside the gate. Inside it's 5$.

Got to be fair!

If it makes you happy to park in the goat farm they call a ramp for free, go for it Peter. Just warning you, it might not be free. They charged $15 for the first time ever when I picked up my son to let him fly and 15 when I dropped him back off and him $5 to park and we bought fuel and they were rude to boot, which is more to the point that the stinkin' fees. They never pulled this before the half dozen or so times we have been there. When asked, it was a new policy started last week.  No thanks, maybe being in Phil you are accustomed to such a level of service and hospitality, but Ill go into ORL and use Sheltair next week when I fly over to let Nick fly again. Check out their airnav comments, I am not alone in dissatisfaction, but I have been spoiled by the great service I have received everywhere I go that has a Sheltair.

36 minutes ago, mooneyflyfast said:

I always go into Tampa Exec (Formerly Vandenburg).  rent a car and stay in Brandon at LaQuinta or HI Express.. You can reserve ramp space and car rental with Leading Edge Aviation.. Not cheap gas but good service.. They have airshow tickets with EAA discount.

I learned how to fly at Vandenberg years ago when I lived in Tampa. That is where I would go if I was flying in for the show. As I recall, it is only about a half hour or so down interstate 4, pretty much a direct shot to LAL. 

7 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

If it makes you happy to park in the goat farm they call a ramp for free, go for it Peter. Just warning you, it might not be free. They charged $15 for the first time ever when I picked up my son to let him fly and 15 when I dropped him back off and him $5 to park and we bought fuel and they were rude to boot, which is more to the point that the stinkin' fees. They never pulled this before the half dozen or so times we have been there. When asked, it was a new policy started last week.  No thanks, maybe being in Phil you are accustomed to such a level of service and hospitality, but Ill go into ORL and use Sheltair next week when I fly over to let Nick fly again. Check out their airnav comments, I am not alone in dissatisfaction, but I have been spoiled by the great service I have received everywhere I go that has a Sheltair.

I'm not looking for "free" Mike!

I am interested in fairness. And proceeding to slam an outfit who is being more than generous on a forum is not fair.

5 FREE days of parking on their ramp for a measly 10 gal fuel purchase is extremely generous. You agree?

What else do you want them to do for you cartwheels!!

Incidently for comparison purposes, up here at TEB for example, Meridian charges 55$ a day parking waived with a 15 gal fuel purchase. Only one day parking is waived.

51 minutes ago, PTK said:
7 hours ago, mike_elliott said:
7 hours ago, mike_elliott said: If it makes you happy to park in the goat farm they call a ramp for free, go for it Peter. Just warning you, it might not be free. They charged $15 for the first time ever when I picked up my son to let him fly and 15 when I dropped him back off and him $5 to park and we bought fuel and they were rude to boot, which is more to the point that the stinkin' fees. They never pulled this before the half dozen or so times we have been there. When asked, it was a new policy started last week.  No thanks, maybe being in Phil you are accustomed to such a level of service and hospitality, but Ill go into ORL and use Sheltair next week when I fly over to let Nick fly again. Check out their airnav comments, I am not alone in dissatisfaction, but I have been spoiled by the great service I have received everywhere I go that has a Sheltair.

I'm not looking for "free" Mike!

I am interested in fairness. And proceeding to slam an outfit who is being more than generous on a forum is not fair.

5 FREE days of parking on their ramp for a measly 10 gal fuel purchase is extremely generous. You agree?

What else do you want them to do for you cartwheels!!

Incidently for comparison purposes, up here at TEB for example, Meridian charges 55$ a day parking waived with a 15 gal fuel purchase. Only one day parking is waived.

Go ahead go there Peter, knock yourself out. I just reported the far less than stellar FBO experience so others wouldn't be victim to lousy service, horrible shape ramp, bad attitudes. If this will make you happy, enjoy your free 5 days with your 15 gal purchase. Keep in mind, I originally recommended them, now I don't.

Here are the last two airnav reviews

Comments are submitted by their authors and do not reflect the opinion of AirNav, LLC. All comments must adhere to AirNav's Policy on Comments.

From Mark Helmericks on 04-Feb-2016

1.gif?v=L3K7L3 Good ramp crew, awful management. Paperwork excessive compared to other FBOs. A full-page pilot information form, filled out every time you arrive. A fuel request? Another full-page form. Need fuel now? Sorry, that's a 2-hour minimum notice. Credit card on file? Yes, AND you still must show up and pay in person. Yesterday I confronted on an early morning departure by the manager was waving a light wand & giving the cut signal as I taxied out. Ran the shutdown checklist (PT-6 turbine), popped open the door to find her demanding, "Who gave you the gate code?" (Answer: you did), then "Is that your car parked over there?" (Answer: no), then "Well how did you get here?" (Answer: I was dropped off), then "I'm going have that car towed!" (Answer: that's none of my business), followed by her flouncing off into the dark, leaving me with a heat soaked Pratt and a delayed IFR departure. While I later got a call apologizing for the incident, I think I'll try someplace else.

From R. Smith on 04-Feb-2016

2.gif?v=L3K7L3 This is the worst FBO I've been to at an airport this size. The staff inside was very rude, and the facilities were decrepit and gross. I was embarrassed to be dropping my passengers off there. I used the courtesy car to grab lunch on my way through, and I was asked to fill it up with gas upon my return. I had to fill out an information card with a lot of unnecessary information about my aircraft and contact information. All of this being said, the actual line guys are actually very helpful and friendly. The staff inside could learn something from them.

5 minutes ago, PTK said:

And there are four times as many positive reviews from others!

Look, I don't care either way. I just want to be complete, fair and accurate. 

Peter, The good reviews are from a month or more ago, just like my recommending them initially in this thread was based on my previous visits there. Now that I have had recent experience, like yesterday, I retract that recommendation. I was all for them, promoting them etc until the shoddy rude treatment yesterday, and just want to warn others of this new posture from them.

Please feel free to go there so you can give an opinion based on knowledge vs. just wanting to argue again, Peter. That way your statements can be fair and accurate vs. guesswork. I wont stop you, just want to warn you. You deserve better.

To quote Ronald Reagan, "...there you go again..." Mike!

I'm simply stating the facts as to what these folks offer, dollar for gallon for days free parking, for comparison. 

These are the facts, not opinion or guesswork!

You chose to argue with the facts and offer your opinion. I respect your opinion and it's your prerogative! But please don't confuse facts for opinions!

Peter, you're arguing "facts" that you read on the internet. Mike is presenting facts gained by visiting KISM last week. I know which one I believe. Stop in soon and tell us if your experience matches what you've read. I'd really like to know before I fly down for Sun n Fun. Thanks!