Unofficial 2016 Sun N Fun Thread

Marauder

Hello All,

I have never been to Sun N Fun (imagine that) and I thought that I would try to fly down for it this year. After watching Bob B's arrival video, I just as soon stay out of Lakeland and drive in from a neighboring airport. What airport and hotels should I be considering? Is transportation to the show provided or should I plan on renting a car. Any recommendations on restaurants? Any special ticket considerations or deals I should be aware of? I'm also willing to check out stuff for people who can't attend. Drop them on this thread and I will make a point of looking up the information.

Sincerely,

Your local neighborhood Marauder

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:25 PM, Marauder said:

Hello All,

I have never been to Sun N Fun (imagine that) and I thought that I would try to fly down for it this year. After watching Bob B's arrival video, I just as soon stay out of Lakeland and drive in from a neighboring airport. What airport and hotels should I be considering? Is transportation to the show provided or should I plan on renting a car. Any recommendations on restaurants? Any special ticket considerations or deals I should be aware of? I'm also willing to check out stuff for people who can't attend. Drop them on this thread and I will make a point of looking up the information.

Sincerely,

Your local neighborhood Marauder

Plant city has a shuttle, KISM isn't far and has rental cars. ZepherHills will have cheap gas, a bit further of a drive, not sure on rentals. I should be there almost everyday, ping me. Most likely the people at the Silver Wings cottage or the Mooney Exhibit will know where I am.

Oh, and don't forget to take back a flat of Plant City Strawberries. They will be available right from the farms' roadside stand on Co.Road just west of the airport.

EDIT:

Scratch what I said about KISM. Just went to the Jet Center there today and have never been treated so badly. I went to pick my son up to let him fly a bit, They charged him $5 to park his car and me $15 to just pick him up in addition to the rude treatment by both line and desk help, after buying fuel. Normally I don't gripe, and always by gas when my wheels touch someone's ramp, but this was well below any kind of standard we should accept.

"New policy as of last week" I was told,

• Like 1

I've been into Zephyr Hills and Winter Haven and would do either one again. If you want to go down a little early or stay a bit late, go into Winter Haven and get your sea legs at Jack Brown's Seaplane.

There are hotels all around the area, and if you are coming down just for SNF, getting one in Lakeland makes the travel time shorter. You can use hotels.com or a similar site to find out what is available during the time you will be there. I believe some are on a shuttle route to the show (or were in the past), but I am not sure if that still is an option. Both Zephyr Hills and Winter Haven have rental companies who deliver cars to the airport. It is usually Enterprise in ZPH and I used Hertz the last time at Winter Haven.

Restaurants are in abundance in Lakeland and the surrounding area. Disney is about an hour east and Tampa slightly closer to the west. Several good varieties from Japanese, Mexican, Italian to hamburger joints are within minutes of the airport.

AOPA, EAA and other groups usually offer discounts for their members. I HIGHLY recommend buying your tickets online and picking them up at the site when you get there. The day sales are packed and the online sales are in a separate building to the left as you walk up with few people in line.

The whole area is crawling with pilots, mechanics and other notables. At dinner one night we sat in a Japanese restaurant with the flight crew from Fifi and had a great discussion on WW II planes. Last year, Don Maxwell was collecting money for parking as we drove in on Tuesday.

You will have a great time.

John

• Like 1

Just do it... (I borrowed these words)

Bring somebody along.  Bring a tent. Bring a coat, some warm clothes, and an extra blanket.

In the past, I used a four day plan...

1) Fly down on day one (after work) stay in a hotel or camp along the way.  

2) Then, fly-in before the show closes the runway... Don't be late or you will be staying at another airport until KLAL re-opens.  I have used Winter Haven...

3) Stay two more nights in the tent. Use the sign GAC.  Two days at the show, you will cover everything twice...  (Smaller than the other big shoe...)

4) Fly out the next day.

SNF is a great way to Kick of the flying season.  It is a great place to go if you need/want to buy stuff.  Be sure to carry a copy of the big instruction manual aka NOTAM.

If you are new to flying and on the East Coast. It takes two days to see it all.  When you already have two Aspens and a recent JPI(or other), being at the show may be a bit more focused...

How many MSers are going to be working at the show?  Let us know your schedules!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I did Plant City a few years ago.  I had flown over IFR from Deland where I had met with my engine builder for my "project" plane.  The weather was marginal and Plant City (and Lakeland) were not accepting IFR arrivals.  The controller was amazing, getting me down low enough to find the airport and I canceled while on a short base leg, going over to the temporary FAA tower to land.  The FBO is awesome, had my rental car ready, and I found a hotel right in Lakeland.  What was really nice was being able to depart on my schedule, not having the hassle of getting out of Lakeland when they are busy with the show.

Tom

• Like 1

a couple of years ago a buddy of mine and a couple of other piled into this Cherokee 6 and flew into lake land and camped out.  went smooth in and out WX in Tallahassee screwed up the return flight but otherwise it went well.

I liked camping out the late air shows and the photo ops as the sun goes down are nice and not to forget the karaoke and the beer at the bar.:)

• Like 1

I've flown in the last few times and it's not as bad you might think (save Fri,Sat, Sun),  If you're worried about traffic, you can go in early in the week and traffic is much much lighter (which is what I do single pilot).  You can also consider flying to a local airport staying the night and flying from there to LAL early AM before the skies get crowded.  Vintage camping is located great spot convenient to just about everything.  Departure is a breeze......If you's like to discuss, please let me know, 

• Like 1

Would love to go for a day or so since I've never been. Are there deals to be had on stuff vs what you would ordinarily pay? Thinking about driving over from our place in St Augustine. I'm thinking it would be a little over two hours in the car. 

• Like 1

The only year I attended SnF (2013) I flew into LAL. I'd do it that way again. (We intended to camp but the tent and equipment we shipped ahead via the show's freight forwarder was lost so we had to take a cab to a Lakeland motel. We lost a lot of time that could have been at the show.) 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bravoman said:

Would love to go for a day or so since I've never been. Are there deals to be had on stuff vs what you would ordinarily pay? Thinking about driving over from our place in St Augustine. I'm thinking it would be a little over two hours in the car. 

Yes, lots of show specials on everything from carpet to avionics

• Like 2

I missed it last year due to storms over the weekend. Anyone in AL/GA interested in a quick trip? I'm available Fri, Sat, Sun, and am not averse to sleeping in a tent. Even found my tent and sleeping bag as I unpack here in the new house!

Flying into LAL isn't bad, it's just a busy environment and you need to know the procedure before you get there. Having a second set of eyes in the cockpit is helpful. Your onscreen traffic display won't help a whole lot, you'll be too busy looking outside, plus lots of Vintage plans don't have transponders. Champ or Cub, anyone? To say nothing of the variety of Experimentals coming in.

I would like 

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

I missed it last year due to storms over the weekend. Anyone in AL/GA interested in a quick trip? I'm available Fri, Sat, Sun, and am not averse to sleeping in a tent. Even found my tent and sleeping bag as I unpack here in the new house!

Flying into LAL isn't bad, it's just a busy environment and you need to know the procedure before you get there. Having a second set of eyes in the cockpit is helpful. Your onscreen traffic display won't help a whole lot, you'll be too busy looking outside, plus lots of Vintage plans don't have transponders. Champ or Cub, anyone? To say nothing of the variety of Experimentals coming in.

I'm thinking about going this year. There may be a few others from work interested in going. 

I may have walked into a good situation. A friend's parents live in Winter Haven and we are making plans on flying down together and staying with his parents. That will give me some flexibility for my schedule.

So who can tell me about KGIF? Also, unlike Stinky Pants, I don't have an endless bladder in me or my plane. I'm looking at stopping in South Carolina. Anyone familiar and can provide recommendations for airports around KMYR?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Winterhaven KGIF is a great little airport. Has a good restaurant on field. An order of pancakes in the morning will hold you over all day. Jack Brown's sea plane base is there, he cranks out seaplane ratings all year long. Decent self serve price, rental cars available.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marauder said:

I may have walked into a good situation. A friend's parents live in Winter Haven and we are making plans on flying down together and staying with his parents. That will give me some flexibility for my schedule.

So who can tell me about KGIF? Also, unlike Stinky Pants, I don't have an endless bladder in me or my plane. I'm looking at stopping in South Carolina. Anyone familiar and can provide recommendations for airports around KMYR?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Odell (60J) is a good stop and is just on the NC/SC border as you go further south North Myrtle KCRE is ok... If you can make it to KSSI, I highly recommend it as a stop, nice town and FBO

• Like 1