West Coast Mooney 2016 Get Together

FlyDave

I'll be there even if I decide to drive. I'll decide in the morning. I'm looking forward to matching up MS names with real people. The forecast for San Carlos is worse than for Watsonville.

I am kind of on the fence with the weather since forecasts appear to be worsening and freezing levels are around 5,000 in Norcal. So, I am going to err on the side of caution and not fly today. The return is going to more of an issue than the flight to KWVI. If anyone else plans to make it, I am more than happy to drive down to KWVI.

I am kind of on the fence with the weather since forecasts appear to be worsening and freezing levels are around 5,000 in Norcal. So, I am going to err on the side of caution and not fly today. The return is going to more of an issue than the flight to KWVI. If anyone else plans to make it, I am more than happy to drive down to KWVI.

This is my concern too. It supposed to get worse, not better. Right now I likely could make it by flying down the valley and then flying the pass over San Luis Reservoir along the 152 to Hollister and then Watsonville. However that judgement is based only on reported ceilings. I could get to that pass and find lower ceilings, or scattered clouds in my way. It does seem to be that kind of day with scattered clouds at various levels and varying visibilities too.

Then there's the getting home when things are supposed to be worse. I suppose I could follow the water and fly the delta to Suisun Bay to San Pablo Bay to San Francisco Bay to the Pacific and then follow the coastline to Watsonville, but right now Rio Vista is reporting 500ft ceilings and that route has terrible options for an engine out and part of it you have to fly below 1500ft.

I'll check again in an hour. I might just fly the pattern today, or not at all. 

I live in Santa Cruz and the weather out the window and around the MRY bay airports this morning is encouraging... but we appear to have the bright-spot, I see a lot of MVFR elsewhere in the region and the forecast is for some precip chances later in the day. A nice day for local flying around here at the moment but good judgement calls all around for those who aren't flying!

It's a no-go for this Mooney Girl. Please remember I have a ton of connections at SBP San Luis Obispo as well as Oceano and Santa Maria KSMX.  Good thing about SMX is a big airport, long runways, lots of parking a restaurant right on the field. SMX often the site of the PPP.

May 13th and 14th is Oceano Airport Celebration, a Salute to Veterans. We collect items for military care packages, have a Friday night burger fry and dance.  Camping on the field.  Lodging and fuel discounts and can park about 100 airplanes.  Saturday is airport day with live music, static displays, and fun  http://www.FriendsofOceanoAirport.com

Edited by mooneygirl

From the looks of Flight Aware there are two Mooneys headed up from the San Diego area!  Have fun everyone! #MooneyZoom

Please remember if any of you have a non-flying companion, and would like them to attend our April 2nd Right Seat Ready! seminar in Camarillo, CA to please register.  This day long seminar is taught by Jan Maxwell [Don Maxwell Aviation Services, TX] and myself.  www.vc99sclasses.com

9:45 AM at Watsonville. Blue sky here, but San Carlos was scuzzy at 8:00 AM, and so I drove down. Coast south of Half Moon Bay would be a clear route, but much mountain obscurement between the peninsula airports and the coast. I'm looking forward to catching up with those who were able to fly, or who are driving down.

Just took another look at the METARS and what do you know Watsonville is clear to 12,000 and so is o69 Flydaves home the principle in this event. Good karma or what. For the record he did offer my wife and I a ride from o69 but we declined since its a long drive to a short flight and for us we really wanted to represent by flying in to this fly in.

Well, I gave it a fair shot this morning. I bummed around the airport hoping for the clouds to break, and eventually just decided to take off to have a look. We made it over the first scattered layer no problem, but then encountered solid overcast at 8,700ft and couldn't find the miraculous hole over the Sierra's that we were hoping for. I did my duty, and gave a PIREP, and returned to land. Maybe next time!

Back home now... what do you know, it seems like it's starting to break up now! Ugh!

Approx. 10 Mooney airplanes flew in.  Others drove automobiles, some just walked over!.  A very nice time meeting and visiting and sharing war stories.  Thank you Dave for putting this together.  More to come I'll bet! :)

I was great to see all that were able to make it...  Many Thanks to Dave and his wife for all the hard work and coordinations...  

Special THANKS to the south-landers who came all the way up to KWVI..

I think we had 8 transient planes on the ramp and 2 residents in the hangar. It's nice to put a face and a name with a MS name. Thanks to all that made it.

Weather was clear and a million at o69 this morning (see picture) - VERY unusual!! I picked up my IFR clearance in the air and never flew though 1 cloud. We all departed WVI VFR and my wife and I were VFR the entire way home.

Darn weather forecasts! It would have been nice to have more planes but better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air then in the air wishing you were on the ground!

Attached are some pics.

NotarPilot and Liam.jpg

Panoramic b4 departure.jpg

South of San Jose.jpg

Sunday morning at o69.jpg

Turning final for KWVI.jpg

VFR Departure.jpg

4 Mooneys.jpg

4 more Mooneys.jpg

8 Mooneys.jpg

Half Moon Bay.jpg

image055.jpg