Prebuy results interpretation

This thread got me thinking and I placed an order with mypilotshop.com so that I am not in pain on 3 hour flights, maybe even have coffee with breakfast or carry a thermos like I used to when I was young. 

Travel John Portable Toilet 18 Pack $28.95 (That's $1.61 per pee. Many's the time I'd have paid a whole lot more...)

mypilotshop has a better price than Sporty's or Amazon, at least today.

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/2632

One thing I have found in the Mooney community is no matter what short body owners will always claim it is great and roomy in the back. I spent a fair amount of time as a non-owner in the back of a C and I am small, I bought an F. If you are going to carry more than 2 regularly it really does make a difference. Carry 3+ on a couple of trips a year the passengers would really like the extra space.

Little Johnnys are a waste of money in my opinion. They leak. I had several at one point and I think I've thrown them all out by now. A water bottle is far better sealed and tosses out without mess.

You must have an incredibly small bladder. Unless I am using a 32 oz. Gatorade bottle, there is a high possibility of a yellow flood ensuing. Besides, aren't the openings on those water bottles a little small for us man sized, testosterone driven Mooney owners?  :P

• Like 1

You must have an incredibly small bladder. Unless I am using a 32 oz. Gatorade bottle, there is a high possibility of a yellow flood ensuing. Besides, aren't the openings on those water bottles a little small for us man sized, testosterone driven Mooney owners?  :P

When you guys get to be my age you will take precautions as to mislabeled bottle. No one drinks anything out of a Prestone jug. Just sayin'

• Like 2

One thing I have found in the Mooney community is no matter what short body owners will always claim it is great and roomy in the back. I spent a fair amount of time as a non-owner in the back of a C and I am small, I bought an F. If you are going to carry more than 2 regularly it really does make a difference. Carry 3+ on a couple of trips a year the passengers would really like the extra space.

I drive a two seater Corvette to go places fast, in style, and without passengers. Short body Mooney fits me nicely.

• Like 1

The higher gross weight is a major factor.  By partner requires 950+ and would prefer 1050+.  Which makes the F a solid choice and the E unlikely.  There aren't too many options out there for non HP planes with 1000+ gross.  And neither of us want to fuel or maintain the extra cylinders.

If useful load is the issue then sorry to say the Mooney is not the plane for you. Consider a Comanche 250/260.

Clarence

If useful load is the issue then sorry to say the Mooney is not the plane for you. Consider a Comanche 250/260.

Clarence

We're looking for 1000lbs plus...which is basically every F out there.  And as I said we don't care to pay for the care and feeding of 2 extra cylinders =)

• Like 1

We're looking for 1000lbs plus...which is basically every F out there. And as I said we don't care to pay for the care and feeding of 2 extra cylinders =)

An O540 costs the same or less to overhaul as an IO 360, the engine uses the same oil filter plus 2 quarts extra oil. The cabin is bigger, the payload greater, the range greater, the fuel tanks don't leak and the airframe doesn't corrode, and it burns only a few gallons more. If you throttle back to F speeds the fuel burn is the same.

Clarence

An O540 costs the same or less to overhaul as an IO 360, the engine uses the same oil filter plus 2 quarts extra oil. The cabin is bigger, the payload greater, the range greater, the fuel tanks don't leak and the airframe doesn't corrode, and it burns only a few gallons more. If you throttle back to F speeds the fuel burn is the same.

Clarence

I looked a lot at Comanche's when searching for an F as well and for the most part similarly equipped planes were about $20-30k more. I also worried a bit about parts given the big flood whereas at least with a Mooney you can still get anything fabricated by the factory. I agree on the engine comment those wide deck cylinder prices make me cry. If I could have found the right one though would love to have one for all the reasons you stated though, it's a great plane.

Comanches also cost more to insure with equivalent hull value. I briefly considered them too before coming back to Mooney.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

This is a pretty big part as well.  With my having < 5 hours complex, 0 HP, and 90 hours TT, it's already going to cost a lot the first year for insurance.  I don't really want to think about what those extra 50 horses would cost me.  Also, the usable load requirement is my partners issue.  I would be ok at 850-900.  On the other hand my desire for a Garmin 430 is also driving our costs so we both have our things =)

This is a pretty big part as well.  With my having < 5 hours complex, 0 HP, and 90 hours TT, it's already going to cost a lot the first year for insurance.  I don't really want to think about what those extra 50 horses would cost me.  Also, the usable load requirement is my partners issue.  I would be ok at 850-900.  On the other hand my desire for a Garmin 430 is also driving our costs so we both have our things =)

Over time, my useful load has shrunk down to a little under 850.  I still wouldn't give up my 430W in exchange for another 100 lbs useful load.  

The Comanche insurance has to do with the fact that many parts are hard or impossible to come by which means a lot of minor incidents become complete write offs. They are much nicer to fly than a Mooney. Your time isn't going to be a difference in insurance cost in either but the Comanche will be higher.

If your needs are room, low cost, 430, etc. there are a lot of planes out there that will fill that need aside from a Mooney. Most are going to be within 10kts of the Mooney which unless you are doing a lot of 3+ hr cross countries you won't even notice. I would encourage you to focus on what you want and then find a model which has all that, will make things a lot easier in terms of finding a good one at a good price.

I can't completely agree about the parts supply for the Comanche, other than my 400 of which only 146 were built and perhaps a 100 remain. Many parts are common across the single and twin models.

Clarence