I was just responding to an AOA posting yesterday when the system was updated.  Apparently a weeks worth of postings were lost when the update failed.  That included the AOA thread.  So for whoever did that post here was my response:

I'll weigh in on this.  I had over 10,000 hours (about 8,300 in Mooneys at the time along with about 5,600 hours of instructing) when I decided to buy one to see if it would be of any value.  I had done a lot of reading and one of the best articles is this one Wind Tunnel Test of Angle of Attack Probe - NAR Associates

In the past I always made a rough calculation of landing weight and adjusted my approach speed accordingly.  That speed could vary by 5 to as much as 15 knots depending on weight.  The AOA has made that calculation unnecessary.  I have been using it now for over 6 months and feel it was a very good investment.  Proper use would be to slow to the donut when on approach, note that speed, then fly that speed.  I have become so comfortable with the AOA that I noticed that I unconsciously flew the AOA to the flare point recently.  I have surprised myself by being able to reduce my approach speed 5-6 knots comfortably. The donut does indicate different speeds at different weights.  In my opinion they work well, and I would encourage their purchase and use.  I have the Alpha Systems Eagle with the Valkyrie HUD.  
  • Like 8