Ground Speed Challenge

GeorgePerry

Quote: M016576

Up front cost is a little steep on the military salary, but the aircraft does the mission in the most economical way: travel from point A-B with the family quickly.  I don't use the mooney to joy ride; it's purely a transportation tool for me and my family.  Since Navy jet bases tend to be in "less than desirable" locales, and I've got the means available, the Mooney is the best, affordable option I've got (speed/cost).  I have thought about a missile or a rocket or even a K... but I don't think I can afford the extra maintenance and gas.  The J is enough as it is on my pay.....

-Job

• 2 weeks later...

I hold the Ovation record:

http://www.groundspeedrecords.com/records/record%20light%20Mooney%20M20R%20310kts.htm

http://www.groundspeedrecords.com/records/record%20light%20Mooney%20M20R%20270kts.htm

the 310kts was on a day with 100+ kts winds aloft - we went up to FL210 - caught 284 level, descended to FL190 and caught 292 level after stabilizing at FL190 - we then resumed descent, descended slowly (200fpm) and saw 310 in the very gradual descent here captured about 18,800. 

previously had record at 270 level but that was broken by Chris Floyd.

post-531-13468139029927_thumb.jpg

Quote: GeorgePerry

Fellow Mooniacs...I though it might be fun to post pictures of your fastest recorded ground speed. 

Here are the rules, honor code of course:

1. Must be Straight and level (decents just don't seem sporting)

• 2 years later...
Stock 64 M20E, KPDK-PSAV, 9000ft, 0deg C, 22", 2500rpm, power boost open, 152 KTAS, 196 gnd. Most of the trip was at 193. Wish I could have seen 200 level....but it still felt good.
I know! You were so close to 200! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Best groundspeed I ever got in the 201 is 201 knots, and thats the first day we flew it. 

The best groundspeed in the 1900D was 403 knots, this is a king-air based 285 KTAS turbprop.

The best groundspeed I saw in the 747 was 646 knots. That's 500 true and a huge tailwind. Eights on pylons pivotal altitude at that speed is 35,000 feet.  Visually, a 120 degree turn was quite a sight.

post-7887-0-99847500-1362114355_thumb.jppost-7887-0-76576600-1362114389_thumb.jp post-7887-0-54450100-1362114402_thumb.jp

The best groundspeed I ever got in my 1993 Trans Am was 158 MPH.  At night.  No photo proof of that anymore, but that was quite a rush as well. Even moreso when the passenger side window sucks out of the frame at 145 MPH.  If in doubt, keep the gas pedal pinned to the floor.  The 1993 Eagle Talon TSI AWD with some goodies would bury the speedometer in 4th gear at 155, then shift to 5th gear, get back on the throttle with 31 PSI of boost, and another 10-20 MPH past that.  I dont recommend it, but passing a chevy cavalier wandering in his lane at 2AM on I-10 with a 100 MPH overtake was exhilirating.

C'mon, Byron. I drove a Bandit Edition Trans Am across downtown Nashville on I-24 at 105 from the right seat, while the driver was eating ice cream. When he finished, he took the wheel back and sped up. I had my Honda Accord to 126 on I-75 near Chattanooga. We won't discuss the Jaguar V12, it was faster even on two-lane roads through rural NC.

For the Mooney, my sustained, level-flight groundspeed envelope runs from 68 knots [10,000 msl, 20", 2500] to 183 knots [7500 msl, 22", 2500]. Nice wide envelope at cruise power setting for a supposed 140-knot bird. And lots more fun that the cars!!

Here is my favorite ground speed story from an SR71 pilot:

http://gizmodo.com/5511236/the-thrill-of-flying-the-sr+71-blackbird

One day, high above Arizona , we were monitoring the radio traffic of all the mortal airplanes below us. First, a Cessna pilot asked the air traffic controllers to check his ground speed. 'Ninety knots,' ATC replied. A twin Bonanza soon made the same request. 'One-twenty on the ground,' was the reply. To our surprise, a navy F-18 came over the radio with a ground speed check. I knew exactly what he was doing. Of course, he had a ground speed indicator in his cockpit, but he wanted to let all the bug-smashers in the valley know what real speed was 'Dusty 52, we show you at 620 on the ground,' ATC responded. The situation was too ripe. I heard the click of Walter's mike button in the rear seat. In his most innocent voice, Walter startled the controller by asking for a ground speed check from 81,000 feet, clearly above controlled airspace. In a cool, professional voice, the controller replied, ' Aspen 20, I show you at 1,982 knots on the ground.' We did not hear another transmis sion on that frequency all the way to the coast.

• Like 2

KPIA to KFDK in 2 hours 31 min. for 576 nm flown, max speed in level flight was 275 kts. for about 5 minutes, then 273 for quite awhile, lowest level cruise speed was 231 kts in a 231.  The tailwind was gradually losing strength as I progressed further east. I don't know what I hit in the descent, I don't count that.

An old topic revisited. Today I flew from Tuscaloosa, Alabama, to my home base in Boca Raton, Florida. The wind was directly on my tail and I saw 187 knots for the first time ever. Unfortunately the speed came with a lot of bumpiness.

post-7663-0-53425800-1362269243_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...