Mooney M20J Interior Follow-up

Wistarmo

This is a follow-up to a post from several months ago regarding an interior project.  I am the owner of a 1993 M20J MSE with around 1000 hours TTAF which was originally equipped with fabric upholstery. 

I made arrangements with a well-known Mooney facility in South Florida for a new leather interior, carpet, and glass.  The entire project cost $19,400.  Of this, the new glass and required paint cost $8400.00.  I will confine my comments to the interior, as the glass work appears acceptable. The leather interior, carpet and repair/dying of cracked Royalite cost $10,160.00 including tax. A written estimate was obtained.  I showed the facility an aircraft on their field that had the interior I desired, and emphasized that I desired a full, well stuffed appearance to the seats.  Photographs were also provided of the desired appearance; in return, I requested photographs of a completed seat as soon as possible to evaluate the work.

The interior project was then subbed out to an interior shop at another field.  The Mooney facility gave them a work order and then paid them only $5000.00, or half, to do the work.  The project ran late; I did not receive a photograph of a completed seat until the night before pickup.  When I retrieved the aircraft, numerous problems became apparent.  The seats had a sagging, wrinkled appearance.  There was glue everywhere, all over the seats, side panels, armrests, and Royalite.  Most of the leather side panels began detaching within 48 hours, all of the cracked Royalite repairs failed within 72 hours, and dye began flaking off of other Royalite.

Arrangements were made with the Mooney facility to return the aircraft in three weeks for correction of these problems.  This was to allow them time to obtain replacement Royalite panels and firmer foam to restuff the leather.   After two working days, I was informed that the Royalite panels had never been obtained.  It would seem that they are difficult to procure for my year aircraft, and would only be available from the Mooney factory at great time and expense.  (According to my research, that would seem to be true.)  Recommendations were made to cover the Royalite with Ultraleather.  We agreed to proceed; a photograph of the first Ultraleather panel was not provided until after 7 working days.  In the meantime, I discovered that new foam had not been used in constructing the seats; the 17 year-old foam had simply been reused.  I was told that new foam was not necessary and that I was being “picky”; however, I was able to convince the interior shop to now use new foam.  The project again ran well over schedule.  Due to travel commitments, it was necessary for me to pick up the aircraft on the scheduled day of completion with only the two front seats and front Royalite panels installed. 

It was necessary to take the aircraft to the interior shop for a third time to complete the project, for another 2-1/2 weeks.  I had withheld a portion of the final payment from the Mooney facility pending satisfactory completion of the job; the interior shop at the other airfield now had the plane under lock and key and refused to release it unless I paid them directly.  The interior shop owner stated that the Mooney facility owed them a balance and was concerned that if I did not pay them directly, they would not receive the money they were due from the Mooney facility.  Although my contract was with the Mooney facility, it was agreeable to them that I pay the interior shop the balance directly.

A fourth visit was later required to correct a leather seat panel problem.     

When beginning this project, I was told I was getting a “$10,000 interior” but it would seem that the $5000.00 paid the subcontractor is more realistic for the initial results obtained.  The final results are quite satisfactory, but four trips and down-time of seven weeks total were a significant inconvenience.  I have kept this description purely factual; I have copies of the invoice, e-mails, and photographs of the work to substantiate all of the above.  For a more colorful depiction of events, I would be happy to discuss this via Private Message.  I have researched this company on this website and only wish I had known about MooneySpace before beginning this project; I would echo the comments others have previously posted.  The name of the Mooney facility is    

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of us who have dealt with a certain sleazy Florida Mooney scam-operator who shall remain nameless, can guess who you're talking about. Once burned, twice shy. So very sorry to hear of your troubles. I'm not a fan of lawsuits, but in his case I'd happily make an exception. How I wish somebody would take his obnoxious, overstuffed backside to court!

I am sorry you had such a poor experience.  I used to subscribe to MOA (when the mag was up and running) and I honestly gained a lot of insight into upgrades (shoulder harnesses, Volt Meter, HID landing light, voltage regulator, fogging with Corrosion X, etc.) from the articles...Any good experiences out there?  What I have found over and over again whether aviation or auto is get a written estimate and confirm if any of the work will be subbed...I NEVER pay up front.  NO leverage on the back end.  Negotiate penalties for LATE work up front or it's Caviot Emptor...

• 8 months later...

Buyer beware. It is amazing to me that that facility is still in operation. I hear more bad comments about that facility then all other "Mooney" shops combined. We live in the age of computers and all you have to do is type in the name into google to see the hundreds of comments. Is it the prices they offer that make owners go to his shop? Is it the slick and very colorfull website? What is it about that person that continues to bring owners to his shop? Any Mooney chat line is filled with comments on the rip offs and the failed maintenance and everything else that would make an owner run away so why do people still go there??

Please be careful out there. For interiors I recommend Mod Works because I know them, they do great work and are reputable. AOPA used them this year to do the Cessna interior for the give away aircraft. They are NOT cheap but they are NOT going to rip you off. Time=Money

Why people WHY do you STILL go to that SHOP??  WHY WHY WHY!!!

Just for fun I took a look at the website. Under his maintenance page he shows a Mooney with "tail cone off for transportation" and teh wing completely deskinned as if this is an accomplishment to be proud of. No wing jig holding that wing straight, no jig to put the tailcone back on. What a mess.

Look at this:

"No Surprise's Written Price Guarantee."

Being a Mooney owner for over 25 years myself personally, I know how aggravating it is to pick up or retrieve your aircraft from a maintenance shop only to find that (even though possibly justified), your anticipated bill has nearly doubled (or worse) w/out your having any input, forewarning, or even your consultation! I promise it won't happen here.

Unlike most all other shops and A & P's in the U.S., (upon request), we will gladly provide a Guaranteed Written Estimate of all work you have ordered while clearly stating that no extra or additional work will commence w/out your specific authority if said original scope of work and/or charges exceeds said initial written estimate by 10 to 15% max.

We will provide you (via fax) or E Mail, a special written Heads Up Notice requesting your approval and signature, if we find your maintenance or mod invoice will result in an increase (labor or parts) exceeding 10% more than the original amount initially contracted.

"In fact, we probably put more Mooneys through our Award Winning detail/interior/refurb shop than anyone else in the industry. Want to see a few"

As you dig deeper and deeper you find more and more disclaimers "prices are higher due to the rise in petrochemical costs" "these prices are only valid in conjuction with glass replacement". On and On.

Please be careful and educate yourself on what is out there

Quote: richardheitzman

"No Surprise's Written Price Guarantee."

Being a Mooney owner for over 25 years myself personally, I know how aggravating it is to pick up or retrieve your aircraft from a maintenance shop only to find that (even though possibly justified), your anticipated bill has nearly doubled (or worse) w/out your having any input, forewarning, or even your consultation! I promise it won't happen here.

Unlike most all other shops and A & P's in the U.S., (upon request), we will gladly provide a Guaranteed Written Estimate of all work you have ordered while clearly stating that no extra or additional work will commence w/out your specific authority if said original scope of work and/or charges exceeds said initial written estimate by 10 to 15% max.

We will provide you (via fax) or E Mail, a special written Heads Up Notice requesting your approval and signature, if we find your maintenance or mod invoice will result in an increase (labor or parts) exceeding 10% more than the original amount initially contracted.

"In fact, we probably put more Mooneys through our Award Winning detail/interior/refurb shop than anyone else in the industry. Want to see a few"

Quote: allsmiles

It is unfortunate indeed to get ripped off like that.  But when I see this, and I see this alot in the aviation community, I must stop and shake my head.  Are aircraft owners so naive??  You agreed to pay some jack ass 20K for some carpet and reupholstery? Oh yes and some plexiglass also!  Are you out of your mind man??!!  Or is it that these "experts" have done such a good job inbrainwashing some of you guys??  Don't you have something better to do with that money?? Avionics perhaps?  Plexiglass, leather and carpet tops should cost 4K. NOT A PENNY MORE!  Certainly buyer beware but these conartists out there love you guys. You are such an easy prey.  What do you think it takes to refinish the plastics, reupholster the seats and cut some carpet for your airplane? What is it brain surgery?  Give me a break!! 

Quote: richardheitzman

I am sorry, I was so upset at reading this string that I put Mod Works as the interior shop. It is NOT MOD WORKS

It is Air Mods here is the link

http://www.airmod.com/about/index.htm

Really sorry about that. You guys must have though I was drinking scotch first thing in the morning.