Mooney Caravan pictures

moodychief

I didn't go with the Mooney Caravan and arrived in Oshkosh on Saturday camped very close to the green shower buildings.  I was there Sunday huddled up in my plane as it was raining when the Mooney Caravan arrived.

I took a few pictures with my good camera pointing through the pilot window...  Just haven't had time to go through my Oshkosh 2014 pictures yet in the aftermath of rejoining the "real" world after coming home from Oshkosh.

1962803_893372747343357_7868053524948854

I shot all of my Mooney Caravan pictures with a Canon T5i.  I think it may be 18 megapixel resolution.  I was huddled under the wing of an Aircoupe so I could continue taking pictures.  The only problem, I was sitting so low I couldn't get the pictures of the planes landing on Rwy 36R.  

• 2 months later...

Well come on Hank come join us and go with the Mooney Caravan!

Phil aka Buzz produced the video using input from several contributors.  The whole adventure was a great experience!

So much so I am sponsoring what I hope to be the first annual WesTex-NewMex Mooney Formation Flight Clinic at my home base 5T6 on December 5th - 7th!  

If anyone is interested let me know, we are expecting to have the full spectrum of newbie's and advanced as well as a few that are working on getting their formation Cards!  Oh and did I mention we expect to have some AZ Warbirds joining us!!!

Plus a whole lot more fun and activities, including a private tour of the War Eagle Museum on the field, great food and other social activity!

Going to be an outstanding time of flight and pilot fun.... There are also a group of spouses that are planning a number of Girl activities!!

Come join us!

Sorry did not mean to hijack this thread... well maybe I did!

I was flying Charlie-3 in that formation arrival.  At that time I was a very low time Mooney pilot.  But after attending a Caravan clinic and learning from some amazing Mooney drivers, Joker, Cowboy, Yoda, and Pinky, I felt very confident flying in the formation.  I would encourage anyone to find a local clinic and try it out.  You'll have lots of fun and will be a much better Mooney pilot for the experience.

I will certainly be a the West Texas clinic in December.

• Like 1

Knowing how detail oriented and 'frugal' most Mooney drivers are, do we have any information about how much fuel was saved as they drafted the flights in front of them?

BTW, the video was an outstanding lesson on the different techniques for crosswind landings. Really well done...am I repeating myself? :)

Thanks Jolie -- I'm the one who put the video together. I also posted it over on the Mooney Caravan section of this site.

Phil "Buzz" Verghese

Great job Phil. The close formation sure makes more sense than the old "slinky" formation used in the caravan days past. Seeing the gust front coming brings a smile to me as I remember a few times trying to get the tent pitched in the north 40 just as the afternoon storms arrived during my caravan days. 

• Like 1