Avionics upgrade; Sarasota avionics

Me too, just delivered it to PGD location to have the work done.

Just got her back:

The good:

I thought they did quality work, and with a couple of exceptions listed below, they kept to their estimate.

The bad:

Original estimate was 2 weeks (8 days), it took 5 weeks. Part of that was waiting on parts, but I still think that estimate was best case.

Additions/exceptions from original estimate:

My rack looked awful, there was 18 holes each side on the left, 14 holes on the right. They couldn't work with the left, so they had to build a new one.

My 76A needed a serial encoder, I decided instead of doing that, I'd just replace it with a 74 which has serial encoder built in.

The original estimate for 830 didn't include a couple of sensors that were required (RPM,MP)

gallery_11849_1_118033.jpg

• Like 1

Couple of other notes:

This is what a 830 with flush mount looks like.

The KT 74 is all wired up, but it doesn't talk to the GTN650, hopefully there is a software update in the near future to fix that.

I removed ADF, KNS80, KY197, KT76A, Shadin FF, CD player, Davtron 903, and a 430

Also fix some problems:

No ELT switch

GPSS lights inop

Radio dimmer inop

Just got her back: The good: I thought they did quality work, and with a couple of exceptions listed below, they kept to their estimate.   The bad: Original estimate was 2 weeks (8 days), it took 5 weeks. Part of that was waiting on parts, but I still think that estimate was best case.   Additions/exceptions from original estimate: My rack looked awful, there was 18 holes each side on the left, 14 holes on the right. They couldn't work with the left, so they had to build a new one. My 76A needed a serial encoder, I decided instead of doing that, I'd just replace it with a 74 which has serial encoder built in. The original estimate for 830 didn't include a couple of sensors that were required (RPM,MP)     gallery_11849_1_118033.jpg
  We're almost friggin' twins! Now you got to go all the way and get those mechanical engine gauges out of there!   post-9886-0-41181300-1403829749_thumb.jp   post-9886-0-39604100-1403829818_thumb.jp   post-9886-0-05468800-1403829937_thumb.jp

We're almost friggin' twins! Now you got to go all the way and get those mechanic engine gauges out of there!

Just notice your gauges...maybe later, I've dropped enough $ for a while.

I passed on the 930 because I wanted to save costs by not installing new probes (reused the shadin FF transducer, OAT, EGT, CHT, OilTemp, probes from the 701 installation, 2 of the wiring harnesses are identical).

Actually I wanted to get rid of the old EGT/OAT gauge (EGT is inop), which I thought I could do because it's not a required instrument (ie TOMATO FLAMES...), but SA said no because it's listed in POH has required instrument.

Now if my HSI were to die on me, I might go with Aspen to replace HSI/AI combo like you did.

Next update would be ADS-B 978 RCV support, waiting on Oshkosh to see what gets announced.

Just notice your gauges...maybe later, I've dropped enough $ for a while.

I passed on the 930 because I wanted to save costs by not installing new probes (reused the shadin FF transducer, OAT, EGT, CHT, OilTemp, probes from the 701 installation, 2 of the wiring harnesses are identical).

Actually I wanted to get rid of the old EGT/OAT gauge (EGT is inop), which I thought I could do because it's not a required instrument (ie TOMATO FLAMES...), but SA said no because it's listed in POH has required instrument.

Now if my HSI were to die on me, I might go with Aspen to replace HSI/AI combo like you did.

Next update would be ADS-B 978 RCV support, waiting on Oshkosh to see what gets announced.

Have you verified your fuel flow works on the GTN? I think I read that Shadin fuel flow was not functional with firmware 3.0 to 5.0 (current version).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you verified your fuel flow works on the GTN? I think I read that Shadin fuel flow was not functional with firmware 3.0 to 5.0 (current version).

No I haven't, I used the 830 for FF info, I will check it, thx

Is this to put it into "Alt" mode when he gets airborne or to start his timer?

I think it's suppose to do both. The KT manual isn't explicit on this, but it states it will start when in ON or ALT mode, if squat switch is used, then there is a GND mode, so that implies when with switches to ALT at take off, the flight timer will start.

The squat or airborne switch appears not to be a requirement, it's mention in the AC because it states the

width and length should only be transmitted on the surface, there is no mention of this in the 91-227 text, and the AC

is not regulatory

Also, 91-227(e) calls out that it should transmit it's position and velocity while moving either airborne or on the surface, and it's position even if stationary. Given that, the transponder should always be set to ALT which I'll start doing and wait to see if I get called on it.

• Like 1

I recently got a quote from SA on installing our GNS 480 and a GMA 340. The sticker shock has yet to wear

I hear you.  I tried to minimize the pain by leveraging what I had, but the 650 and 74 both required new trays, the 650 and 255  required new coax as well, my interior was completely removed.

I didn't do this just to get latest gadgets, I was fixing problems, in addition to what I mention earlier:

KNS-80 would reset like it was powered off, probably overheating.

The 701 had burnt out LED segments, so I couldn't tell what temps were.

The 197 would flake out if I tried to quickly set a frequency, probably dirty controls

The 430 didn't have WAAS, and didn't understand airways.

My Shadin FF had broken switches already, but went belly up completely.

It works perfectly with the current software version connected to the Shadin.

My 76A needed a serial encoder, I decided instead of doing that, I'd just replace it with a 74 which has serial encoder built in.

Do I understand correctly that with the KT-74 you do not need an Altitude encoder ?

(i.e. a static line goes directly into the KT-74 ???)

Would be a nice feature. Anything that removes parts and wires behind my panel will always be a plus 

Do I understand correctly that with the KT-74 you do not need an Altitude encoder ?

(i.e. a static line goes directly into the KT-74 ???)

Would be a nice feature. Anything that removes parts and wires behind my panel will always be a plus

It doesn't require a serial encoder, which with the 76 did, so instead of paying $500+ a separate box, I just upgraded the entire transponder

• Like 1

It doesn't require a serial encoder, which with the 76 did, so instead of paying $500+ a separate box, I just upgraded the entire transponder

did some research on the topic and this is what I found:

• "Built-in altitude repeater instead of a second altitude encoder"

The question is why would i need an altitude repeater or a second encoder ? 

I like redundancy in an aircraft but a second encoder would be very low on my priority list.

I have a King 74 installed in my Piper Warrior now.  It is connected to my external blind encoder (same one that I used with my old King 78A).  The King 74 is built on the Trig 31 circuitry.  The Trig 31 installation manual describes inputs for either a serial (preferred) or parallel encoder and an output to a GPS which it describes as an altitude repeater.  I believe that this is intended for non-WAAS GPS installations and just passes throught the altitude from the external encoder for precision approaches.  My King 74 did not come with an installation manual so the Trig manual may be as close as you can get unless you are a Bendix-King dealer.