Whats normal Oil temp on ovations

I have been flying my 2000 Ovation with a fresh engine. The oil temp runs 210.  I have flown at 3000 to 10000 and this is a consistant reading. My 1999 ovation never went above 180 flying. Taxing with some delays or on a hot day during run up it may get up to 210 or 220 but in the air it never got that high. I ask the engine builder and he said 210 is normal and where it should be. I was wondering if anyone has noticed where their ovation setteles  in during flight. By the POH it is inthe normal range. All CHT's and EGT's by the EDM 800 are all in the normal range and close to each other. Any comments?

It is hard to keep the oil temp in the Ovation cool in the summer. I don't like to see oil temp that hot sometimes there isn't much you can do. If it gets hot like that it will never cool off. How long do you spend on the ground before takeoff and how aggressively do you climb?

We are talking about 10 minutes on the ground during climb they are back to normal in less than 2-3 minutes during the climb. I would see normal around 180 in my first mooney and in the current ovation it is 210. Both cool off rapidly after take off.

Where are you reading OT? Moritz (ship's gauge) or JPI? Depending on placement of probe these may differ. My 2000 Ovation2 (ser 29-0202) ran at ~180-190df depending on OAT in cruise, for the last 900hrs since I bought it at 400hrs. Now with 8hrs on newly overhauled cylinders I'm seeing 210df. Im not concerned as most of this and the increased CHTs that go along with it are from the break in process. I wouldn't woory - since this is a new engine I would guess you are experiencing something similar. All clearances are tight, valves are actually working and sealing :-) and the engine is producing more HP (which means more heat to be carried away by the oil) than when it was run out. 

one other thing - if you are still breaking in the engine you are probably still doing 3 things that contribute to heat - 1. running at high power settings for extended periods, 2. using straight mineral oil and 3. marrying the rings and cylinders into a nice fit without glazing the cykinder walls. The first should be self explanatory and the second is (I'm told) providing somewhat less "slipperyness" than normal oil whether multi-grade or single weight. This is because (once again as I've been told) the straight mineral oil has no additives and the rationale to use it (besides the reccomendation by TCM) is that you actually want wear to happen between the rings and ridges on the cylinder honing as the engine breaks in. With the reduced anti-wear and slipperyness and the higher heat from the wering of the rings and cylinder walls, combined with the added heat from the higher ICPs you are producing to force the rings against the cylinders, it's no surprise that oil temps are higher.

Went flying today....

80deg F outside,  oil temp indicator was at 190deg F.  Temperature reading is from the original stock oil temp gauge.  Flight was a local out and back at 3,000 feet or less. 

94 M20R Ovation.  Continental IO 550 G.  Three blade prop, 2500rpm.

Best regards,

-a-