Repainting vintage mooneys

Just a heads-up, but if your plane is the one pictured in your avatar, it does not have original paint. It was most likely repainted after the late 70's to mimic the 201 style at that time. Ask me how I know. : ). Good luck and welcome to Mooneyspace.

Welcome to MS,

There have been several threads over the past few weeks about paint and few recommended shops. There were a few recommended in FL. Always glad to have another E onboard.

Good luck, welcome and fly safe :)

One suggestion when you get it painted, if you don't have the bladder mod: have your paint shop sand/scuff the area around the fuel tanks and NOT use stripper in that area. There may not be anything to it, but I've worked on a number of Mooneys that needed fuel tank work 1-3 years after getting painted. It has happened enough times that it seems like more than a coincidence, and the paint stripper will definitely dissolve fuel tank sealer.

Thanks for the welcomes.  I've had the plane awhile and been reading Mooneyspace forums awhile.  I've found a couple of good paint shops and will proceed in the next few months. Thankfully, there are fuel bladders already installed.  

I also want to equip the plane to get my instrument rating.  I'm thinking of adding a Garmin 430W .  Will look for a reconditioned one or a "slightly" used to save some $$$.

Mooneys are such great aircraft and I really enjoy flying my "Super E"!

From a safety perspective, the best thing that I have done with my '68 M20G is to add a GNS430W. I would prioritize that over a paint job, unless you are keeping the Mooney outside on a tie-down. Just a thought....

FYI, I also recently repainted my Mooney and paid $15,000, and I think that it was worth every penny. Price masters when it comes to painting....

Clear Skies!

Sean

From a safety perspective, the best thing that I have done with my '68 M20G is to add a GNS430W. I would prioritize that over a paint job, unless you are keeping the Mooney outside on a tie-down. Just a thought....

FYI, I also recently repainted my Mooney and paid $15,0000, and I think that it was worth every penny. Price masters when it comes to painting....

Clear Skies!

Sean

From a safety perspective, the best thing you can do is 1.) get your instrument rating in your airplane, 2.) fly a lot, and 3.) fly with an instructor regularly to maintain proficiency and continue learning.

This is also cheaper than a 430.

The best safety addition to an airplane is a well trained pilot. Airplanes don't crash because they don't have a GNS-430W.

Hmmm....

Well for me, the situational awareness that an IFR approved gps brings to the cockpit is unbeatable. Now, that doesn't mean that I don't train to do even NDB approaches and timed compass card turns. No, I train to them all regularly.

But to deny the utility of IFR approved GPS is somewhat absurd.

• Like 1

For paint, I used Jim Russell of D74 (Chorman) in SW Delaware. Usually has a 6-7 month waiting period. Takes 1 month for the job. See my gallery. He does Mooneys for reasonable prices and, as far as I can tell, the quality is very good. Didn't really charge me much more for a very custom job. He was very careful about keeping the chemical paint stripper away from the various access ports of the four tanks (Monroy LR tanks installed).  The quote from Bartow FL was only a little more expensive, but really far from me.

Also, if you have a wet wing, and since you are already in FL, might I suggest, BEFORE paint, either installing bladders or having Edison Gomez of Wet Wingologists (KFXE, Ft Lauderdale Exec) either reseal what you've got or have him put in Monroy Long Range tanks? I would reseal if the sealant is more than, say, four or five years IF I were planning to get paint done soon. Edison did mine and I love them. Even Jim Russell (the painter) said it was the first Mooney he's painted in a while that didn't have even a slight leak. 6-7 hours endurance with the LR tanks. Great for IFR trips. I flew from NC to Hartford several times and arrived with half fuel remaining! All Edison does are Mooneys and he basically started out working for Jose Monroy (of Monroy LR tank fame). Takes about 2 weeks total.

Also, I love my GNS430 but the learning curve is high. If I were putting in a new one today, I'd probably spend the extra 3-4k and get one of the newer Garmin models since the GNS430 is old news at this point.

Hmmm....

Well for me, the situational awareness that an IFR approved gps brings to the cockpit is unbeatable. Now, that doesn't mean that I don't train to do even NDB approaches and timed compass card turns. No, I train to them all regularly.

But to deny the utility of IFR approved GPS is somewhat absurd.

Sorry, Sean, I never denied the utility of an IFR approved GPS. And I completely agree that having a GNS-430 is much more beneficial than a new paint job from a safety perspective.

My soapbox is from my position as a CFI. I have seen far too many pilots who think state-of-the-art avionics substitute for practice and recurrent training. And it's scary to watch a pilot spend more time with technology than flying the plane.

From a purely safety perspective, a decent autopilot that will hold heading and altitude is my choice.

P.S. You're a better man than me if you still practice NDB approaches. Kudos to you for doing partial panel work, though.