Traffic Watch ATD300 - Monroy

bgpilot1

There is a new system coming out, the Powerflarm (www.powerflarm.de, you can switch the language on the top right). It does the same like the Monroy without the external antenna (so it doesn't have direction for Mode C transponders), but it has ADS-B. It seems to be the first ADS-B receiver to show traffic in a portable system. It shows Mode C/S targets with distance and altitude, ADS-B and FLARM targets have the direction, too. Flarm is a system used mainly by gliders in Europe, it uses a GPS for the position and broadcasts it. Other units receive the data and show the position. It will interface with all major GPS brands like Garmin 496/696 and runs on batteries, too. Seems to be a complete solution (all different systems in one box), the only drawback is that it lacks direction for Mode C.

I played with one at the Aero fair in Friedrichshafen, it is very compact and the screen is great. I'll give a Pirep when it is available.

The PowerFLARM looks interesting. I've got the ZAON MRX which does a decent job of detecting when traffic is around. Unlike the Monroy, there's no external antenna so it doesn't show direction of traffic, but it does show proximity, altitude difference and rate of change so it at least reminds you to start looking. 

Quote: Jeff_S

The PowerFLARM looks interesting. I've got the ZAON MRX which does a decent job of detecting when traffic is around. Unlike the Monroy, there's no external antenna so it doesn't show direction of traffic, but it does show proximity, altitude difference and rate of change so it at least reminds you to start looking. 

I'll definitely keep watching the Powerflarm...at 1500 euros it's not a spur-of-the-moment decision but if it gets some good reviews in the general aviation magazines then it would seem to be a very nice addition.

One question I had about the product was sort of answered by their tech support.  I asked if the unit could output TIS data to a Garmin 696.  One of the features I like about the Zaon is its display in the 696.  See answer below.

Dear Earl,

yes that will be possible. GARMIN gives us the interface into all portable products, e.g. 695/696.

Any other questions please let me know!

Kind regards
Marc
Butterfly Support

Quote: Jeff_S

I'll definitely keep watching the Powerflarm...at 1500 euros it's not a spur-of-the-moment decision but if it gets some good reviews in the general aviation magazines then it would seem to be a very nice addition.

The PowerFlarm is a novel concept. But 99% of the GA fllet in the world is Mode C only equipped. To display this traffic on a map you need to have Mode C direction capability. Otherwise is no better than the Zaon MRX that sells for $500USD. If I wait for the ADS-B 2020 mandate I may not need an airplane to fly because I may have my own feather wings flying with these cuties.

José

post-66-13468138152756_thumb.jpg

Quote: Piloto

The PowerFlarm is a novel concept. But 99% of the GA fllet in the world is Mode C only equipped. To display this traffic on a map you need to have Mode C direction capability. Otherwise is no better than the Zaon MRX that sells for $500USD. If I wait for the ADS-B 2020 mandate I may not need an airplane to fly because I may have my own feather wings flying with these cuties.

José