East Coast Pancake Breakfast - N57

It was indeed a pleasure to see everyone and meet some new folks. Nice to see you Mike and Alan. A pleasure meeting you Chris, Tim and everyone else. Thank you Chris for the invitation!

Brett, I'm sorry I just missed you! I think you took off just before I landed.

Thank you guys, I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to next fly-in!

Was that the first , second , or final landing......

Doc are they trying to say that you had a marginalized landing?  Don't feel too bad if that's what they're doing.  Mike had the best two landings I've seen on a single approach.  Must've been that AOA saying it wasn't ready to quit flying just yet.   :P  At least he's current now for 90 days.

Hey speaking of that, I was out fueling the plane today and just for kicks thought I'd check my stall warning tab and buzzer (AKA.... AOA) and no joy!  WTH??  It definitely worked during my annual inspection in April.   Ugh!!!

Doc are they trying to say that you had a marginalized landing? Don't feel too bad if that's what they're doing. Mike had the best two landings I've seen on a single approach. Must've been that AOA saying it wasn't ready to quit flying just yet. :P At least he's current now for 90 days.

Hey speaking of that, I was out fueling the plane today and just for kicks thought I'd check my stall warning tab and buzzer (AKA.... AOA) and no joy! WTH?? It definitely worked during my annual inspection in April. Ugh!!!

Brett -- I surveyed every Mooney pilot that landed yesterday and have confirmed between the terrain (trees lining one side of the runway) and the bumpy runway, everyone had a bit of a challenge. The winds were light too! It just confirmed that not all of my bad landings there were me!

I agree that Mike struggled with his AOA landing since it was yelling at him "land, er, don't land, er, land, er don't land, better land" (he had 3 from my count). Doc struggled with his landing because he probably saw your picture perfect take-off and it rattled him, Alan's tank (Bo) seemed to not to mind anything, Doug's Mooney did a bit of a carrier landing and I missed Tim & Larry's landing but their take-off was nice.

I will post the videos later today. Unfortunately, it looks like my HQ HD camcorder died during your take-off (I'm claiming it has to do with your heavy electronic inteference from all that stuff you had onboard). I was forced to use my lower quality HD camera that struggles with moving objects. Too bad you couldn't stay longer.

When that 2007 R showed up, it was a beauty to look over.

Brett -- I surveyed ever Mooney pilot that landed yesterday and have confirmed between the terrain (trees lining one side of the runway) and the bumpy runway, everyone had a bit of a challenge. The winds were light too! It just confirmed that not all of my bad landings there were me! I agree that Mike struggled with his AOA landing since it was yelling at him "land, er, don't land, er, land, er don't land, better land" (he had 3 from my count). Doc struggled with his landing because he probably saw your picture perfect take-off and it rattled him, Alan's tank (Bo) seemed to not to mind anything, Doug's Mooney did a bit of a carrier landing and I missed Tim & Larry's landing but their take-off was nice. I will post the videos later today. Unfortunately, it looks like my HQ HD camcorder died during your take-off (I'm claiming it has to do with your heavy electronic inteference from all that stuff you had onboard). I was forced to use my lower quality HD camera that struggles with moving objects. Too bad you couldn't stay longer. When that 2007 R showed up, it was a beauty to look over.

Hey! I only touched once. I ballooned up in the float a few times, saved it, and planted it down exactly once. How's that for currency!?

Hey! I only touched once. I ballooned up in the float a few times, saved it, and planted it down exactly once. How's that for currency!?

Oh no no no.  Maybe it was those new biscuits that you couldn't feel the first two?  :-)  It's okay Mike.  It was really windy and gusting to like 8 or something.   :P

Seriously though I can see how that airport could be really tricky especially when it's even slightly breezy.

That's the downside of these Mooney fly ins. Botch the landing and you'll never hear the end of it.

Phew!  Just glad I was the first one there!

Seth where are you going to organize the next one?  Has either group ever done FDK?

Brett -- I surveyed ever Mooney pilot that landed yesterday and have confirmed between the terrain (trees lining one side of the runway) and the bumpy runway, everyone had a bit of a challenge. The winds were light too! It just confirmed that not all of my bad landings there were me! I agree that Mike struggled with his AOA landing since it was yelling at him "land, er, don't land, er, land, er don't land, better land" (he had 3 from my count). Doc struggled with his landing because he probably saw your picture perfect take-off and it rattled him, Alan's tank (Bo) seemed to not to mind anything, Doug's Mooney did a bit of a carrier landing and I missed Tim & Larry's landing but their take-off was nice. I will post the videos later today. Unfortunately, it looks like my HQ HD camcorder died during your take-off (I'm claiming it has to do with your heavy electronic inteference from all that stuff you had onboard). I was forced to use my lower quality HD camera that struggles with moving objects. Too bad you couldn't stay longer. When that 2007 R showed up, it was a beauty to look over. Hey! I only touched once. I ballooned up in the float a few times, saved it, and planted it down exactly once. How's that for currency!?
Think of them as missed approaches.... ;)

Made a YouTube video of the "Mooney Invasion". You can find the video here:

Unfortunately my HQ HD camcorder may have met it's demise. My apologies for the lower quality video. 

Here are a few pictures from the day as well: 

post-9886-0-65931100-1371443900_thumb.jp

post-9886-0-61548300-1371443941_thumb.jp

post-9886-0-65667200-1371443971_thumb.jp

post-9886-0-19697700-1371443999_thumb.jp

post-9886-0-71950300-1371444026_thumb.jp

post-9886-0-19367900-1371444064_thumb.jp

Seth where are you going to organize the next one?  Has either group ever done FDK?

The last one was originally set for GED but we switched it to FDK.   I was thinking we'd actually make it to GED this time.  Will that be too far for you?

-Seth

The last one was originally set for GED but we switched it to FDK.   I was thinking we'd actually make it to GED this time.  Will that be too far for you?

-Seth

Seth - No GED is not a problem.

Chris - Cool video.  Great job!  You are hereby required to put all videos together for the fly-in's!!!!

The last one was originally set for GED but we switched it to FDK. I was thinking we'd actually make it to GED this time. Will that be too far for you? -Seth Seth - No GED is not a problem. Chris - Cool video. Great job! You are hereby required to put all videos together for the fly-in's!!!!
Your take-off is on my HQ camera, at least I hope it is. With any luck, they can repair it without reformatting the internal camera memory.

Love the video! Should be "Albert R. Maruader Productions". The differences in the takeoffs were interesting to see, too. I've never been able to watch my own departures for comparison.
Thanks Hank! I have been making home videos for a while and my family takes them for granted. Appreciate the new audience. I thought it was interesting as well to see the differences in take-offs. Mike flies a pretty flat profile and others seem to gain altitude more aggressively. Also noticed people had different timing on stowing the gear.

I thought it was interesting as well to see the differences in take-offs. Mike flies a pretty flat profile and others seem to gain altitude more aggressively. Also noticed people had different timing on stowing the gear.

I thought everyone waited a long time to raise gear, but some waited longer than others. Mine are always stowed before treetop height. The climb angle on the 231 was impressive!

Speaking of Mike. I flew a charter this morning and as I was waiting for pax I couldn't help but think of him:
He does bring that out in people. I was in a sales meeting this morning and a sales manager asked this "what angle do we want to attack this market?" -- and Mike immediately popped into my head! He's everywhere!