Travel boards

Alan Fox

• 2 years later...

Rather than start another topic.   I am wanting to check the trim on my plane.   The only source for travel boards that I have been able to find in not available.  Anyone know where I can get the boards?

thx

craig

Am having a discussion about the alt hold AP.  Was hoping not to have to travel to an MSC just to check if the trim is in spec.  Might be the best way to go......

Why don't we have our own pools of tools? The Comanche tribe has a tool program. Travel boards are worth about 1000-1200, if everyone chipped in a few dollars we could have a group set,,same for gear rigging tools.

Clarence

I was just talking to a friend of mine who runs a shop in Idaho, he has the opportunity to become an MSC. he was asking me about my access to Mooney specific tool, he also has a machine shop where he can reverse engineer the tools. he has agreed to make an extra set of the tools that I currently do not have. so I guess what I am saying is if we want to gather the different tools we have collectively, I can have him make a set that we can put into a pool for Mooneyspacers to use.

Brian 

What if there was a way to check the all the elevator riggings by making your own easy to make "travel board"?

And use a bubble level or a prop protractor ( I know, no one even remembers those), a machinest protractor or even a pendulum

angle finder.

Cliffy,

The only problem I am seeing with that is that the angle (as I understand it) is measured from the "chord" of the wing. I think I understand the concept, but in physically looking at a wing, I'm not sure how you would know precisely where the chord line is. Maybe someone (perhaps you) and tell me how one would know how to find it.

If memory serves me correct, with the elevator counterweight faired that equals zero deflection on a travel board. If one can take the measurement of the angle that the elevator surface skin sits at (at the proper station with the counterweight faired) and use that as "zero" then the angles up or down at full throw (once the counterweight is released) should equate to the throw of that elevator. Much like using a prop protractor.  If the "faired" condition is zero deflection then a board that keys on the nose radius and the trailing edge of the entire elevator assembly (with the counterweight held in the faired condition) will show the stabilizer angles in relation to the level line (thrust line) of the fuselage when the trim whee is moved. Computations will be needed for the level line not being exactly level unless the aircraft is actually leveled.

The same would hold true for the setting of the elevator angle at the "zero bungee" setting (3  1/2 degrees negative value).

"Leveling means Edge of skin splice over aft fuselage radio access panel. Spirit level is used to level"  (taken from TCDS)

Airleron and flap travel could be checked in much the same way but the rudder is a different being :-)

I really am open for counter arguments to this theory.  :-) I could be wrong but I don't think so.

You can actually do the rigging without travel boards. You will still need to fly the plane to check for roll tendency with flaps up and flaps down. I fine tuned mine for no roll tendency with flaps up and down and yoke centered with no travel boards. On the stabilator trim just make sure you have the full range up and down.

José

In another thread we're debating MSC versus non. Here we're debating ways to rig our planes correctly with the "guess and by gosh" method. Next we should just avoid using calibrated tools in favour of "close enough" method.

Our planes are "airworthy" when they meet the type certificate or supplemental type certificate, that means correct travel for flight controls and correct placards for Jose's long range fuel tanks as an example.

With the collective net worth in airplanes of the individuals on this site surely those interested could collectively find a thousand dollars to buy a group set of travel boards.

Clarence

I would say someone with the experience of Mr Monroy can wing it and be close enough , I like to think that I am pretty knowledgeable on these things, but I tried to rig my E using the counterweight alignment and flap fairings , and I was 3 degrees off on the flaps....The travel boards make it easy and simple.....Keep it simple..... Rent or borrow the boards and rigging will take about an hour or two.....Its not Rocket science if you have the right tools....  

Travel boards are nice to have but not useful for correcting roll tendencies or ball centering. For these you have to actually fly the plane and adjust the set screws and rod ends. Minor tolerances discrepancies in assembly requires unique adjustment for each plane. The travel boards will give you an starting point but not the final one. As for measuring surface travel there is not much you can do about because it is like trying to change a gear ratio without changing the gears, it is fixed with the mechanism (except the limits). And the only time you deflect a surface to its limits is during the ground run up.

BTW one way I use as starting point is to verify that both ailerons are line up with the wing tips and the yoke is centered. Flaps should line up with ailerons. I fly the plane and check for roll tendencies flaps ups and flaps down. And make the necessary set screws and rod end adjustments.

José