Visor Screw

carqwik

For the technically proficient (which I am not!):  The right side pilot visor screw came loose...and does not screw back into the interior trim location from which it came.  I took it out this morning and found that it was apparently semi-screwed in with some RTV.  My guess is that it screws into an aluminum piece behind the cloth fabric covering...but the female part is now stripped.  What do I do now??

There are probably a couple of choices.  You can probably tap and thread the hole to the next size up screw or if you want to keep the same size screw, install an insert that takes it back to the right size.  My hub cap screw stripped out and I had the mechanic install the insert.  Took him less than 30 minutes. 

There are probably a couple of choices. You can probably tap and thread the hole to the next size up screw or if you want to keep the same size screw, install an insert that takes it back to the right size. My hub cap screw stripped out and I had the mechanic install the insert. Took him less than 30 minutes.
The device he is talking about is called a helicoil.

Ahh...thanks. Where does one purchase the right size helicoil?
To be honest, a helicoil would be overkill for what you are dealing with. They are usually used to address stripped threads in things like cylinder blocks. If the screw that belongs in the hole is stripped out by just a little bit, I would just use a larger screw. You can pick up stainless steel screws at your local Lowe's or Home Depot.

It should screw into a nut-plate on the fuselage - unfortunately getting to it is going to mean removing a lot of the trim to get to it.  You might be lucky and find the nut-plate has just shifted, but if there is any damage to it, in view of the amount of hassle to get to it, I'd just drop a new one in.  A blob of RTV to stop it moving in the event that screw gets removed sounds like a good idea too!

Ben

Edit: looking in the parts catalog shows they are 22NA5-048 nut-plates, and should be held in place with a rivet or two as well, so if the screw wont stay in it, it's probably knackered.  http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/cornernuts.php?clickkey=264196 don't actually list that variant, http://www.lasaero.com/site/part/details?part=22NA5-048 do list it but don't hold stock.  Maybe best to give Mooney a ring

• 2 weeks later...

Jose solution is not bad...the epoxy will probably not hold for long...there is a lot of vibration and torque on that visor believe it or not...I would have tried to cut new threads with a tap...somebody probably cross threaded it and than torqued it down

• 4 weeks later...

The visor fell out again after several flights...now it has some black epoxy all over the threads.  Is there something that will dissolve the epoxy but not harm the screw itself?  Next try will be the fine wire but using a dissimilar metal wire raises questions about oxidation-reduction issues....