Any interest in a downloader for an EI UBG-16?

Just wondering if anybody else here would have any interest in a project I've been working on...

Shortly after I bought '48Q, I installed an EI UBG-16 engine monitor.  It isn't the modern high-speed, full-color, primary-replacement type that's gotten popular in the last few years, but it's a perfectly-capable engine monitor with data logging.  The only issue is with actually downloading the data--you need to take your computer (running Windows), with a serial cable (or USB-serial adapter), out to the plane and use EI's special software to do the download.  A bit of a hassle, and doubly so if you use a Mac or other non-Windows computer.

EI has a solution to this: a battery/download box they call the MUX-8A-EXT, which allows you to remove their data logger from your plane and bring it to your computer, rather than the other way round, and costs $100.  Didn't sound to me like it would save much in the hassle factor.

I figured it shouldn't be too hard to put together a small, stand-alone device to download the data to an SD card, which could then be read in any computer anywhere.  After asking EI for some information, and hearing their response of "I don't think what you're trying to do will be possible", I was rather more determined to make it work.

So, I've been tinkering away on an Arduino-based microcontroller, and think I have the bulk of the code done (though no doubt there will be some tweaking needed).  For the moment, everything's on a prototyping breadboard, but if I have PCBs made I expect it should fit inside an Altoids tin.  The code I'm working on now is to download the stored data from the monitor.  However, the device would also be able to record data in real time (at a ~5 sec interval, rather than the 1-6 minute interval normally used by the MUX-8A) with some changes to the code.

I expect the total parts bill to run around $60.  I'm not at all planning on building and selling these, but I'm intending to document the project, open-source the code, and provide a bill of materials.  If I go ahead with PCBs, I'll probably end up with 20 of them, so I'd have a few of them available for a nominal cost.

Thoughts?

Apparently no interest.  Interesting.  I hadn't expected that the crowds would be beating down the doors for something like this, but I had expected a little bit of interest.  Ah well--I'll still update as it progresses.

As I understand it, the JPI also uses a serial interface to download, so the hardware I'm looking at should do the job for them as well.  However, not having a JPI, I don't know how the comms work or what the data stream looks like, so it'd be tricky for me to code for it.

JPI does seem to have a larger market share, though...

I like that idea (and presumably if it could be done on the iPad, it could also be done on an iPhone).  I'm not sure, though, about the hardware side of it.  I'm not aware of any Apple-approved RS-232 interfaces for the iPad/iPhone, which would be a problem.

I've put up some information about what I'm working on right now here: http://www.interociter-enterprises.com/Interociter_Enterprises/Downloader.html.  It's ugly now, no doubt, but I expect it can come together into something a little nicer by the time it's done.

It turns out that there is an Apple-approved serial cable for the iPhone/iPad: http://www.get-console.com/shop/en/cables/10-cisco-console-companion-cable-for-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-touch-rj45.html.  It needs another adapter to connect to DB9s, and it's $60, which strikes me as ridiculous.  However, that should make it entirely possible for someone who knew how to code for iOS, and how to get the app approved by Apple in the App store, to write an iOS app to do this.  That someone isn't me, at least not right now.

OTOH, the i* would have vastly more resources to work with (CPU speed, RAM, etc) than the Teensy I'm using.  You'd have to come up with a way to get the file off the device, but that's been done before.

Maybe JPI has this already???

Didn't think to look or ask them.  They have the free app for my PC.  The next logical step would be look and call....

then work on a device that downloads charts for the KLN90B....

Thanks for the discussion...  And ideas....

-a-

Quote: FBCK

I have one of these 16 as well and would be interested if we had some software to use with it, I understand the connector is behind the unit, though I have never seen it .

• 2 weeks later...

I've done some more tinkering on this project, and now have the software in what seems to be a working state.  Some more info, the source, and a photo of the current state of the project can be found here:

http://www.interociter-enterprises.com/Interociter_Enterprises/Products.html

I'll start working on a PCB layout shortly.

DanB,

Thanks for the idea!

--------------------------------------

Download Your Flight Data

JPI now offers a USB Memory stick completely eliminating the need for a laptop or Palm. This new feature is available on all EDM's including the EDM 700, EDM 800, EDM 769 Twins, etc and even older EDM's.

---------------------------------------

I have an old JPI unit that requires too much effort to haul an extra PC to the plane.  Unless I need to...

Have you seen JPI's unit, just a USB drive...

It's advertised on their front web page.  You probably know this already...

http://www.jpinstruments.com/

Best regards,

-a-

Yikes!  $200 for a USB drive?  It must be some sort of installed module that will save to a USB drive (which would make a bit more sense).  If that's the case, there would be some installation cost, but perhaps not too much.

With current technology, saving to a USB drive (or SD/microSD card) is probably about the best we can do, convenienc-wise, to download engine monitor data, and it seems that the current crop of monitors has that capability built-in.  Looks like JPI's come up with a way to add that capability to their older units--good for them.

Edit: I dug around a bit more on their site and was able to find out a little more here: http://buyjpi.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=USBDWNBOX&Category_Code=UAPC.  Sounds like, rather than being an installed gadget, it's a portable module like I'm working on.  They use a USB drive; I use a microSD card.  Their unit costs more than mine would, but it's available today (apparently), fully assembled and ready to go.  And, of course, it works with the JPI monitors, while mine works with EI (I don't doubt mine could be made to work with JPI, but the software would be completely different).

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, still intersted in a standalone dowloader, but I am able to download my UBG-16 cht/egt data recorded on the attached MUX-8A on my MAC Air. 

I am using a Radio Shack

Model: 26-949  |  Catalog #: 26-949

Gigaware® 6-ft. USB-A to Serial Cable.  $37

Get the MAC OSX driver here free.  Run it on the MAC.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/osx-pl2303/files/osx-pl2303/0.3.1/

Then I am using VMware Fusion ($50 bucks I think but you can try a free trial version to prove it works)  Only catch is you have to buy (have) a real licensed version of XP SP2 or Windows 7 to run the DRS-1 downloder from Elctronics International.  I happened to have an old XP Pro SP2 disk with a key so I saved $199 or so there.  You can also probably use boot camp to load XP or 7 on a seperate partition on the MAC but I liked the ability to drap and drop the csv file onto the MAC desktop and run Excel on the MAC without re-booting.  (BTW, you have to fix the worksheet name on the lower "tab" to get rid of the "." on the name that came from the ".csv" file name, or you get an error when you try and graph.  This was using office 2011 on the MAC).  Also, I am using "remote disk" on the MAC air connected to the iMac since the MAC does not have a CD.

Anyway, I had to create COM1, 2, and 3 serial ports in Fusion with the XP dest top shutdown, not just susspended.  Then I used Comm 3 port when running the DRS-1 downloader.  A bit of trial and error here so you comm ports may vary.  The processing bar never comes back and says it's done like in the instructions, but it seems to get all the data.

BTW, this setup also works on the DYNON-D10A configuration software.

Hope this helps.

Dflybldr, that's pretty much what I've been doing, though with Parallels instead of VMWare and a different USB/serial converter. It definitely works, but it's a bit cumbersome. I understand that VirtualBox works about as well as Parallels/VMWare, and it's free.  I'll have to try it out. 

I have my software to what seems to be a working state now. It will download the data to a microSD card in exactly the same format as the DRS-1 software, and is limited only by the capacity of your card.  I'm having an EE friend of mine take a look at PCB layout, and I'll have a few made. 

I just placed the order for a few sample PCBs today.  Once I get them, I'll see how everything works with a more compact package (and make sure I haven't screwed up the circuit in converting from a modular system to individual components).  It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I have anything more done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, it's been a while since I posted an update. I've been busy on some other things, and had a few frustrations, but the project is still coming along nicely. Latest update is (again) posted at the web site: http://www.interociter-enterprises.com/Interociter_Enterprises/Downloader.html

Some additional photos: http://www.interociter-enterprises.com/Interociter_Enterprises/Photos.html