No Back Clutch Spring M20-282-0001 Eaton Kit Update Good News

2 minutes ago, Will.iam said:

For the mentally challenged which models have the eaton motor compared to the dukes?

Mooney mixed and matched. But generally starting in 1978 it switched to the Eaton. Sometime later it also used a similar design made by Plessey. The Plesseys seem to have had more failures (maybe 3 or 4) than the Eatons (maybe one or two). There are no parts available for the Plessey actuators.

18 minutes ago, EricJ said:

It looks like Lasar just ordered them from existing Mooney drawings/specs/part numbers and is marking them up.   I'm reluctant to give them any credit for doing any engineering here.   

I'm even more cynical.  I think LASAR just managed to work a quote for minimum buy through Mooney whereby there is NO financial risk/cost to Mooney.

29 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

My answer won’t help as i have a Dukes, but if they’re selling for $3k and you can make them for less, I say go for it!

I, too, have a Dukes.  Yet, both of us are commenting on this.

I do find it curious that neither you nor @N201MKTurbo will answer a simple, direct, question as to what price you WOULD find usurious.

1 hour ago, MikeOH said:

I do find it curious that neither you nor @N201MKTurbo will answer a simple, direct, question as to what price you WOULD find usurious.

Back when I was a peak oil guy (I still am BTW) I would ask people what price gasoline would get to before they would stop buying it. Everybody looks at you funny and says “They can’t charge that much, I need my gas” Nobody would ever answer the question.

1 hour ago, toto said:

Just so everyone knows what we’re talking about … the no-back clutch spring is this little tiny thing. 

image.png.63850dc1caa88659a9e9af65edac6557.png

(Photo cropped from an earlier thread showing a used NBS for sale on eBay.)

Don Kaye has a bunch of other photos and info on his site:

https://donkaye.com/infamous-1500-back-spring

This is the best illustration.

It's like buying a $3,000 ring.....  You might as well be shopping at Tiffany's....

nbs.jpg.91596ba637ee0f62cfb18baa8c5f1a67.jpg

ring.jpg.a4462525789f1587bc973e617b35b80c.jpg

Edited by 1980Mooney
  • Like 1

I do find it curious that neither you nor [mention=7464]N201MKTurbo[/mention] will answer a simple, direct, question as to what price you WOULD find usurious.

If you NEED one to make your plane airworthy, take what you can sell it for and subtract salvage price.
Whether its the NBS, insurance, etc….at some point pilots will just sell their planes.
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, toto said:

There are many many threads on MS discussing the no-back spring. 

Basically, there’s a very small number of confirmed failures that resulted in gear-up landings, and the failures are mostly attributed to manufacturing defects in the springs themselves. The original bad batch was installed as original equipment from the factory, and at least one aircraft has had a failure in a replacement spring. 

The collective wisdom here I think is that your NBS is very unlikely to fail, and it’s probably low on the list of reasons Mooneys land gear-up.

Don Maxwell has been paraphrased here a number of times saying that they can tell at annual if a spring is chattering during gear swing tests and that you’ll know well before it fails.

And anecdotally, they seem to fail more often on retraction than extension (so you’re stuck with gear down, not with gear up). 

Thank you for the detailed information! I’m relatively new to the Mooney world, so looking to learn as much as I can.

I am mulling this over.

If the total price was under around $1500, I would probably buy one to have it if needed.  At $3000, I will just wait until I need one (if ever) and hope they are in stock.

LASAR holds the PMA, not Eaton, so they have to inspect and accept the parts, and then are in the liability chain, and may be the buck stops here point.

But over, I am glad to see them available.  As to how much is too much, if my aircraft is AOG for one, a LOT.