Garmin GFC 500 AD effective August 20, 2024

Just an FYI, I just received a notice that an AD for the Garmin GFC 500 will become effective August 20, 2024.  I apologize to anyone if this is old news.  The AD says that within 12 months of the effective date you must update the software to something newer that 8.01 for the G5, newer than 9.01 for the G3X Touch and newer than 2.59 for the GI 275.  It is for Mooney models C-S and goes along with the Garmin Mandatory STC service Bulletin 22123, REV A, dated Jan 3rd, 2023.

It apparently is for the runaway trim issue.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, PT20J said:

The most interesting part of the AD is that it states that Garmin has sold at least 5900 certified GFC 500s. Probably well over 6000 by now.

I think they get installed in a lot of new airplanes, like Cirrus, Diamondstars, etc.

• Like 1

I think they get installed in a lot of new airplanes, like Cirrus, Diamondstars, etc.

Probably between the GFC-500, -600 and -700 they have 95% of the market.
But not you - and it’s okay, competition is a good thing for all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, EricJ said:

The GFC500 and GFC600 are retrofit autopilots and to my knowledge don't go in any OEM installations. 

New Cirrus and Diamonstars each get GFC700 autopilots.

19 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

The GFC500 and GFC600 are retrofit autopilots and to my knowledge don't go in any OEM installations. 

Piper Pilot 100i get GFC500 new.    There are probably others.

15 hours ago, EricJ said:

Cirrus and Diamond have G1000 variants with the GFC 700 autopilot. The cirrus Perspective uses a GFC 705 interface that looks like the GFC500’s but it’s not a 500.

There are probably others, though.