Starlink to KOSH

14 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

What IS new is that it’s not a Sat phone it’s a cell phone and I assume will operate just like a cell as the frequency is the same.

Starlink + WiFi calling = problem solved.  About the only thing I need a cell signal for is texting non-iPhones which it looks like Apple is finally fixing.  Otherwise my phone will work at the North Pole same as in my backyard.  

Costco currently has Starlink on sale for $199.99. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, M20F said:

Starlink + WiFi calling = problem solved.  About the only thing I need a cell signal for is texting non-iPhones which it looks like Apple is finally fixing.  Otherwise my phone will work at the North Pole same as in my backyard.  

Costco currently has Starlink on sale for $199.99. 

Once I have an Internet connection, Google is my phone company.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My passengers think the Starlink is the bees knees.  My first hasty mount is pictured in the plane below.  I made a second one that tucks it up better, but I haven’t taken it to the plane yet. I used thumb screws into floating clip nuts so nothing is permanent and it goes in and out without tools.  I have been using a battery (usb-c pd pack) that delivers 100w at 20 volts.  But then I discovered that you can run the dish off anything from 12-48 volts.  There’s a cigarette lighter jack in the back so I think I’m just going to make an adapter cable to plug into that.  

150mbps is pretty standard.  A few weekends ago I flew with 5 people to San Diego (about 2 hrs in the air).  All 6 of us were logged on.  My kids were streaming YouTube, my wife was working, my sister in law even did a Facebook live video from the air.  I honestly couldn’t tell the difference between it and my home internet.  

E5473C91-C613-4C78-8F75-3986266071D3-COLLAGE.jpeg

IMG_3163.jpeg

IMG_3164.jpeg

Edited by ragedracer1977
  • Like 6

We have it installed on our big jet at work.

Trying to wait for the STC was tough.

Waiting on an STC for our Citation to become available. 

Might just do what you did for the Citation.

Shoot…Mooney for that matter. 

Love your install Rage,

-Matt

A friend of mine reported it works up to 180kts in Piaggio while attached to window, so it should work in Mooney M20J

I did testing on car window, it works OK, I will try in Mooney window next time I fly, if you ever hear someone crashed in France while watching Netflix or updating GPS database in the flight, it's me :ph34r:

One has to stay with "Mini hardware" and "Roaming" which gives 50Go per month with no speed restrictions, still has geographical limitations (no open ocean or cross continent flying :lol:). Anything else need aviation or maritime subscriptions 

I heard the subscriptions for Airliners, Bizjets or Cruiseships are north of 4-5 digits? it's nice to see that they are relaxed about it's use in GA pistons (not allowed as per T&C, still they don't care and don't restrict it, after all it's like driving private car and paying 40$/month)

Edited by Ibra

10 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

My first hasty mount is pictured in the plane below.  I made a second one that tucks it up better, but I haven’t taken it to the plane yet.

IMG_3163.jpeg

I think I like the old bracket better.

12 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

My passengers think the Starlink is the bees knees.  My first hasty mount is pictured in the plane below.  I made a second one that tucks it up better, but I haven’t taken it to the plane yet. I used thumb screws into floating clip nuts so nothing is permanent and it goes in and out without tools.  I have been using a battery (usb-c pd pack) that delivers 100w at 20 volts.  But then I discovered that you can run the dish off anything from 12-48 volts.  There’s a cigarette lighter jack in the back so I think I’m just going to make an adapter cable to plug into that.  

150mbps is pretty standard.  A few weekends ago I flew with 5 people to San Diego (about 2 hrs in the air).  All 6 of us were logged on.  My kids were streaming YouTube, my wife was working, my sister in law even did a Facebook live video from the air.  I honestly couldn’t tell the difference between it and my home internet.  

E5473C91-C613-4C78-8F75-3986266071D3-COLLAGE.jpeg

IMG_3163.jpeg

IMG_3164.jpeg

Have you tried WiFi calling at altitude? That would be a game changer. 

2 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

That's in the back window, right?  Pretty good look at the sky for the antenna.  I wonder how it would work in a Mooney side window?

Most low wing ships like ours will require setting it on the glareshield. I do have some concern about the glare, but it may be worth it to be able to make and take phone calls inflight.

7 hours ago, EricJ said:

I think I like the old bracket better.

This one actually seems stronger.  It applies the force to mounting points in a different way  and being tucked up into the “pocket” where the window is. It’s less attractive as a grab point for passengers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RoundTwo said:

Most low wing ships like ours will require setting it on the glareshield. I do have some concern about the glare, but it may be worth it to be able to make and take phone calls inflight.

If anyone does this, I’d be super interested to know if it works. 

13 hours ago, RoundTwo said:

Wonder how it would work stuck in the window behind the pilot seat?

8 hours ago, Hank said:

Wonder how it would work stuck in the window behind the pilot seat?

I think you’d have to move it around. The constellation seems to be mostly north north east. At least that’s where it always wants me to point it.  So I think you’d want to put in the window that gives the clearest NNE view depending which way you’re flying

28 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Someone on FB should ask about the suction cup bracket.  Looks like it was purpose-built for this exact application.

Someone did, but no clear answer was provided. I’m thinking it is a 3D printed piece.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have received an email from Starlink that they are updating T&C for “Mini Roam” to allow its use with no geographical limits (including open water and cross continents), anyone received this? hopefully, they are not reducing speed limit from 240kts to 10kts 

The new T&C has still same “no maritime & no aviation use”, the usual CYA disclaimer which we disregard: it save them from certification, liability, taxation and legal matters. It’s not like that the users care much, I use my phone when flying even if it’s not allowed in T&C 

I have not tested Starlink that much but surprisingly the box did work for flights in UK, France, Netherlands…I don’t have fancy mounts, I just ask passengers to hold it on window or panel when in cruise, I will make something to hold it one day 

With 50mbs all my pilot useful apps seems to work: weather, planning…the Mrs had PC working with quick 10min zoom call while flying, never saw her smiling that much :ph34r:

I am heading down to Africa on long flight with a friend, if it works, I am tempted by Netflix if there is not much to see outside :lol:

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ibra said:

I have received an email from Starlink that they are updating T&C for “Mini Roam” to allow its use with no geographical limits (including open water and cross continents), anyone received this? hopefully, they are not reducing speed limit from 240kts to 10kts 

The new T&C has still same “no maritime & no aviation use”, the usual CYA disclaimer which we disregard: it save them from certification, liability, taxation and legal matters. It’s not like that the users care much, I use my phone when flying even if it’s not allowed in T&C 

I have not tested Starlink that much but surprisingly the box did work for flights in UK, France, Netherlands…I don’t have fancy mounts, I just ask passengers to hold it on window or panel when in cruise, I will make something to hold it one day 

With 50mbs all my pilot useful apps seems to work: weather, planning…the Mrs had PC working with quick 10min zoom call while flying, never saw her smiling that much :ph34r:

I am heading down to Africa on long flight with a friend, if it works, I am tempted by Netflix if there is not much to see outside :lol:

I just read a discussion on a FB group that in the last couple of days Starlink has capped the Mini Roam speed to 100 mph. Can someone test to confirm or deny if this is true?

IMG_1143.jpeg

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Ibra said:

Holding it against side window?  Some opinions said it would need to be on the glare shield for a more open view of the sky.

43 minutes ago, RoundTwo said:

I just read a discussion on a FB group that in the last couple of days Starlink has capped the Mini Roam speed to 100 mph. Can someone test to confirm or deny if this is true?

IMG_1143.jpeg

Recent posts in the past few days on this thread seem to indicate that it won't be useful for General Aviation anymore.

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=231282

3 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Unfortunate if true.

This is from the Starlink Mini FB group. Looks like everything was fine until last Friday, 9/6/24. Of course, there’s always the $250/month plan, but that’s most likely a non-starter for recreational pilots.

Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 7.40.55 AM.jpeg

1 minute ago, LANCECASPER said:

Recent posts in the past few days on this thread seem to indicate that it won't be useful for General Aviation anymore.

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=231282

That seems to be the gist of what I’m seeing too. Well, it was great while it lasted.