Need an IRAN

Corona Engines is close by but they aren't answering their phones or emails so not sure they're still around. I'll check out Ly-con in Visalia. Thanks for the suggestions.

1 hour ago, GMBrown said:

Corona Engines is close by but they aren't answering their phones or emails so not sure they're still around. I'll check out Ly-con in Visalia. Thanks for the suggestions.

I see you're at RAL.  Have you spoken with Richard at CAVU Aviation on the field?  He might have a good recommendation on engine shops.

8 hours ago, GMBrown said:

Looking for recommendations for an engine shop for an IRAN.

Tim’s Aircraft Engines in Long Beach.

https://timsaircraft.com

Three of my four cylinders have come out of his shop a couple years ago.  I had to top three cylinders in two years.  Tim diagnosed some borescope pics over the phone and I found him forthcoming with his expertise and opinion.

Posted (edited)

Tim's was my first thought and my mechanic's first call. They are going out of business and aren't accepting any more engines. 

Talked to LyCon and they sound great and reasonable. My mechanic also has heard good thing about them. Only apparent down-side is the projected 8 month time frame. Oh well.

Edited by GMBrown
more info

You might have to ship the engine and there's a few places you might want to consider such as western skyways or Poplar Grove, perhaps Columbia aircraft engines.

1 hour ago, GMBrown said:

Tim's was my first thought and my mechanic's first call. They are going out of business and aren't accepting any more engines. 

Talked to LyCon and they sound great and reasonable. My mechanic also has heard good thing about them. Only apparent down-side is the projected 8 month time frame. Oh well.

8 months, holy crap

17 hours ago, GMBrown said:

Corona overhauled my IO-360.  I was very pleased with the interaction with Ben and result but this was 5-6 years ago.  Guessing there's a backlog everywhere and a long wait time.  Puzzling that the engine shops haven't recovered from the post COVID surge.  Things seem to be slowing.  

https://www.coronaengines.com/Contact-Quote

The other shop we looked at was in Texas, don't remember the name off hand, and they wanted $25K for the basic IRAN and it went up from there.  The Visalia shop, LyCon was half that and very easy to work with.  And they'll come get the engine.  :)

• Like 2

Try Airmark Engines in FL. 

I have an engine sitting at my mechanics waiting for him to swap it out starting next week. It came from Airmark. I originally had an order in with Airpower with a 12-14 month wait time. 12 months went by and when I reached out to them they said it would be another 7 months... So I went looking for alternatives. 

Airmark had an O-360-A1D core. They gave me a price with a 7-9 week turn around time for the overhaul. I canceled the order with Airpower, got my deposit back, and placed the order with Airmark. Eight weeks later it was done and shipped. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DCarlton said:

Corona overhauled my IO-360.  I was very pleased with the interaction with Ben and result but this was 5-6 years ago.  Guessing there's a backlog everywhere and a long wait time.  Puzzling that the engine shops haven't recovered from the post COVID surge.  Things seem to be slowing.  

https://www.coronaengines.com/Contact-Quote

It's not just post-covid. More engines are being OH due to the surge in flight school and time builders, especially when it comes to Lycoming 360. Lots of pilots are/were paying to rent an airplane to get for 1,500 hours as fast as possible.

• Like 1

Airmark did the IRAN on my bird years ago. Pics on my thread shows how nice it looks inside still (did a cylinder recently that was gummed up by Camguard it seems). Runs fantastic…

-Don

• Like 1

I had a really good experience with MASI Midwest Aircraft Services Inc did an Iran for me- essentially overhaul minus the fuel system and mags.  Matt is there.  Good guy.  They use all lycoming factory parts if available.