Need a nose truss for a 67F

46 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Was it an fbo tow incident?

Yes. Bent the hell out of it. I was only there for a couple hours and I didn't expect them to move it. I called the manager today and left a message; no answer. 

• Sad 1

bummer…

Lasar was the king of rebuilding/updating nose gear…

See if they have recovered from their move… it’s been a year or two….

Then there is the list of pre-flowned parts guys… starting with Alan…  :)

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, FloridaMan said:

I'm pretty pissed about it. The rocket is getting new jugs right now, so my spare is now out of commission solely due to incompetence. 

I just called my insurance company (USAIG) and they handled it. That’s what insurance is for. No ding on my rates because it wasn’t my fault. I couldn’t get the FBO to deal with it, but the USAIG eventually got reimbursed by the FBO. 

As of six months ago, LASAR still didn’t have FAA approval for reworking nose gears after new owners moved to Oregon.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2024 at 7:50 PM, FloridaMan said:

I got lucky; LASAR just got a new batch of them. 

Do you have an idea of what the total cost to repair this was?  I'm looking at buying a Mooney that has a dent in the truss which might be over the limits.  Interested to see how many AMU it would set me back.

New truss from the factory for my K model last summer was just under 3AMU. Had an FBO damage mine and found it before takeoff. Had them get with Paul Maxwell to get the new part. FBO covered the repairs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ToddCC22 said:

New truss from the factory for my K model last summer was just under 3AMU. Had an FBO damage mine and found it before takeoff. Had them get with Paul Maxwell to get the new part. FBO covered the repairs. 

Captain covering your work trip FBO fees? Bet that motivated them some if so. Hard to beat goliaths legal clout on or off track

If you are calling around asking about parts, be sure to ask for the right thing. The nose gear has three main components. The truss attaches to the airframe, the leg attaches to the truss, and the spindle attaches to the leg. When oversteered, a tube on the leg hits a tube on the truss but the truss tube is beefier than the leg tube, so it is usually the leg that gets damaged, not the truss. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Flyler said:

Do you have an idea of what the total cost to repair this was?  I'm looking at buying a Mooney that has a dent in the truss which might be over the limits.  Interested to see how many AMU it would set me back.

If the pre-buy evaluation shows that the dent makes it not airworthy the seller should pay for that. 

On 2/3/2024 at 12:19 PM, Aerodon said:

I have a spare one with the 'stop tab' half broken off.  Looking for someone that can do a repair.

Aerodon

The nose gear truss tubing is heat treated, but I doubt the stop tabs need to be, they probably are of course as the whole thing gets heat treated.

Pretty sure a good welder could Tig weld a repair without removing the tab, issue may be finding one that will because it’s an aircraft.

4 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Captain covering your work trip FBO fees? Bet that motivated them some if so. Hard to beat goliaths legal clout on or off track

Actually happened after my Team Penske days. Was an MRN radio trip I schedule myself. Told them it just came out of annual and I inspect that tube every time I’m at an FBO.  They agreed to take care of it at that point. 

• Like 1

You might want to check around. When I bought mine last year, Mooney had them in stock. LASAR didn't but was willing to order it. I got it from a MSC closer to me at a significantly lower price than LASAR quoted. Mooney sells to all the MSCs at the same price, but each MSC sets its own markup. Since its latest move, I notice that LASAR has raised its parts prices. I'm not knocking them, but it may pay to shop around on an expensive part. Also, the part comes primed so it has to be painted. I ordered mine through a MSC and had it drop shipped to me and then had it painted at a local paint shop. 

• Like 1