Parker/Cleveland Master Brake Cylinder

I have been looking for a master cylinder for M20J for a client now for several months. All of the usual places new & used, not much success to date. Only option so far is a new unit @ close to 2.8K and owner is flipping on price (that's with me absorbing shipping etc.).  Under the new VARMA rules, I am hearing about for older aircraft does anyone feel comfortable with rolling in a Spruce experimental in place of FAA-PMA unit, Mooney calls for.

Garry 

What's wrong with the old one?   They're not difficult to rebuild and parts are available.   I just ordered parts to rebuild one of mine (a 10-49) and it's about $30 worth of parts.

FWIW, there don't seem to be any VARMA "rules", new or otherwise, from the FAA, just a rehashing of old ACs, as far as I can tell, anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garry Edson said:

Rod is bent and internal seal inside of piston is leaking past. This part is no-longer supported in any repair kit I have ever located. Beach has same issue with a similar cylinder they used a few years back. 

Which master cylinder (part number)?

I bet Dan at LASAR or Don Maxwell could point you in the right direction for either parts or ideas.

Also, here are the basic rebuild kits: https://planepartsinc.com/?s=mooney&post_type=product

If you can’t rebuild the one you have…

Consider rebuilding one from another Mooney… a pre-flown part…

See if @alan fox @Alan Fox has what you need…

If swapping in non-Mooney parts… be on the look out for control interference…. Things are really tight in that area… :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

Bill Goetschel Is your guy. He helped on mine when I couldn’t find any master cylinders. He bought a bunch of stock years back and just sticks with master cylinders. He’ll probably even have an exchange unit. 

(507) 581-9761

-Matt

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Old thread but I know a guy that has an uncle who’s neighbor has a friend in California with an early mid body M20 with the Cleveland 10-49 master cylinders. Allegedly, according to that guy, who I don’t know and have never met, Grove 670-50 master cylinders are a direct reproduction to the Cleveland 10-49. Same bore, stroke, length, fluid displacement, and port alignment as the Cleveland. I hear they perform quite well and are $379 each vs $2332 each for new versions of the 10-24D.  

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Hi all, my first post on Mooneyspace. I have a similar problem to Gary Edson. My airplane is a 1979 M20K (N231TH). The left brake went spongy over time. I have the Cleveland 10-24D master cylinder. Bought a $16 rebuild kit from Lasar, then removed the offending master cylinder. The plunger rod has rough scoring in it as shown in the attached pic. I rebuilt it anyway but of course the pedal is still soft. Roughly $3,000 for a replacement master cylinder is all I can find online. Does anyone have a used 10-24D? Also, there’s a few 10-24C’s for sale (a Cirrus part). The pictures look very similar to my master cylinder. Is the Cirrus part compatible? I just sent a message to Don Maxwell and hope for a quick response. Obviously I don’t want to shell out the $3,000, so I thought I’d throw it out to the pro’s and see if there is a better answer.

IMG_2276.jpeg

IMG_2275.jpeg

I have a good set for sale.  Removed from a 1986 M20K with 1750 TT for the encore upgrade. Send a pm.

The difference between the Mooney and Cirrus 10-24D vs 10-24C is the mounting hole on the back end it drilled 90 degrees differently so the cylinder can be mounter horizontally (pipes out the side instead of the bottom.

Aerodon

• Like 2

On 5/16/2023 at 5:16 PM, Garry Edson said:

Rod is bent and internal seal inside of piston is leaking past. This part is no-longer supported in any repair kit I have ever located. Beach has same issue with a similar cylinder they used a few years back. 

Hmmm, I just rebuilt the stock master cylinders my 57 year old F model. I think the kit cost me $25 a few years ago. I wouldn’t flip out over $2800, I would politely decline the maintenance and retrieve my aircraft immediately. Rods can be straightened and I’d bet the o rings are off the shelf items. 

Thanks for the rapid response to all! And now I see the difference in the Cirrus model master cylinder. I’m so new here I don’t know how to pm Aerodon! I would like to talk to you about your 10-24D’s.

22 minutes ago, Pete Moe said:

Thanks for the rapid response to all! And now I see the difference in the Cirrus model master cylinder. I’m so new here I don’t know how to pm Aerodon! I would like to talk to you about your 10-24D’s.

There are some slight differences in the user interface depending on what device (and what screen resolution) you are using, but one foolproof way is to navigate to:

https://mooneyspace.com/messenger/

questions that come to mind ...

what caused the scoring ? and the rod to be bent ?

does the scoring have anything to do with brakes being spongy (usually related to seals and/or improper flushing to the hydraulic fluid - air pockets)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pete Moe said:

Hi Pete! Don is great. I Just bought an item from him. Easy transaction. 
-Matt

Rods can be restraightned and even plated and machined back to size or maybe a new one made. None of this would make sense if a MC were $200 of course, but does at over $3K.

The O-rings can be had for pennies, it’s the Stat -O- Seal that’s tough to find. I did find a source of non aviation ones, not abdicating their use though.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3245&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=3245&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw6yuBhDrARIsACf94RW4rt-NqlBo5OT9zIMgdUywTPRcGbf7I379ytRiYHw1eun4pSFAxAEaAlLuEALw_wcB

• Like 1

Parker has a repair kit that lists the o-rings. I just ordered the o-rings and rebuilt my 10-24Ds on my ‘94 J. There’s no stat-o-seal on this master cylinder. I’d figure out how the piston rod got damaged and check price and availability for replacement parts from Parker. https://www.parker.com/literature/Aircraft Wheel & Brake Division/AWB Static Files for Literature/AWBPC0001.pdf#page68

• Like 1