Let’s Have Some Tail Number Fun

RoundTwo

10 hours ago, M20Doc said:

You’d better let Cirrus and Cessna know, they use non painted registration marks.

They don’t have to use paint, just something that’s permeant as paint, and it’s not me, it’s an FAR regulation, not my opinion.

Odds are even if you used Vinyl you wouldn’t be caught, like I said we did for a couple of years on new aircraft and FAA said nothing, but we didn’t meet the reg

I agree with you though, especially on fabric airplanes, when I sold my Maule the guy was surprised I didn’t want to keep my tail number, I was surprised he expected to have to re-paint that area, because you know it won’t match perfectly.

I don’t like huge N numbers, I think they are ugly, plus if for whatever reason you have to change them, 2” ones are a lot easier that 12” ones.

45.22 (b) https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2017-title14-vol1/xml/CFR-2017-title14-vol1-part45.xml

I’ve flown UltraMagic hot air balloons for 20 years and have owned 6 different ones.  I use UM, uniform mike, in my registrations so that now is easy and natural.  My current registration is 85UM.  I’ve reserved 84UM just in case I need it.

And I use 3” numbers/letters.

67C8D2E0-2811-4D87-A594-C3D20B3F0731.jpeg

A lot of nice numbers, especially short ones, are taken by a guy who is reselling them.  He has several THOUSAND locked up.  And can charge you $100,000 for a desirable one.  Big thread on BT.

I like mine.  2 Victor Mike is easy to say and seldom misunderstood.

A lot of nice numbers, especially short ones, are taken by a guy who is reselling them.  He has several THOUSAND locked up.  And can charge you $100,000 for a desirable one.  Big thread on BT.

I think you need to go to 4 characters to get one without paying the premium.
I’m boring and went with my initials.

If you are planning on changing your number keep in mind there are two steps to the process. You can reserve one easily online as has been posted. However, when you want it assigned to a plane you have to write a letter and send it to the FAA along with a $10 check and then wait for the forms to come back. It is currently taking over 6 months for that process. They got my letter and the check cleared my bank 8/23/2022, I'm still waiting for the forms...

The FAA site says they are processing documents received Oct 6th, but that is for registrations, not number changes. I called and talked to an examiner in OK two weeks ago and they were working on number change paperwork received Aug 4th, so hopefully in the next few weeks I'll have my paperwork. Instructions available in this link:

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/special_nnumbers

As for N-Numbers, when I was buying my plane I thought 78878 would be great. It is easy to say, the abbreviated 878 at the end of the transmission is quick, but ATC mixes it up all the time. Too many 7's and 8's. I have heard every variation of it that you can imagine.

New N-number is 1015E. 10/15/09 is the day of my first date with my wife. I always wanted to fly but never thought it would be a reality.  5/28/16 I took my first flight on 10/15/16 was my PPL check-ride. It wasn't planned that way, just happened to be the first date the DPE was available when I was ready. I went thorough lots of letters to find one available with 1015 and "E" was what we ended up with.

15 hours ago, Pinecone said:

I wonder how he manages all of the yearly renewals. If I found one locked up, I’d just snipe it at 10 seconds past midnight on first available date. I can’t imagine a hoarder could consistently beat that tactic.

25 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

I don't think it works like eBay -- no sniping.

Oh, but it is…

If a desired N-Number is in a hold or reserved status and shows an approaching purge date, the number, if not renewed by the holder, will become available at 12:00 a.m. Central time (by the server time shown on the web page) the day following the purge date.”

3 hours ago, RoundTwo said:

Oh, but it is…

If a desired N-Number is in a hold or reserved status and shows an approaching purge date, the number, if not renewed by the holder, will become available at 12:00 a.m. Central time (by the server time shown on the web page) the day following the purge date.”

You would have to be asleep to miss the purge date.  They give adequate warning.  I’m sure it happens when someone dies or is no longer able to pay attention.

On 2/20/2023 at 7:25 AM, RoundTwo said:

I wonder how he manages all of the yearly renewals. If I found one locked up, I’d just snipe it at 10 seconds past midnight on first available date. I can’t imagine a hoarder could consistently beat that tactic.

He probably does it with a bot.

People have reported he has renewed them a couple of seconds after the hold expires.

3 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

He probably does it with a bot.

People have reported he has renewed them a couple of seconds after the hold expires.

Gov. allows bots to reserve N numbers?  That's just crazy to me, and disservice to the public.  This is one example where government inefficiency could stop number squatters from doing their deed.   Don't allow bots.   Keep the search online.   Make the reservation system mail in.  That would create a lottery system using the US Mail as a randomizer.