Best way to drop a pumpkin out of a Mooney

cferr59

8 hours ago, bradp said:

I threw a gross banana peel my kid handed me out the pilot window over the Atlantic. 
it just smacked the H stab and caused a gross mess. 

And what if you drop a banana out your window over the Atlantic and it falls on someone else's pilot window and makes a mess and they have to fly IFR the rest of the way across the Atlantic because of YOUR banana?

23 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

And what if you drop a banana out your window over the Atlantic and it falls on someone else's pilot window and makes a mess and they have to fly IFR the rest of the way across the Atlantic because of YOUR banana?

Hahaha.  Or a tuna chokes on said banana peel.  New theory “the banana peel effect”. 

Or law of unintended consequences 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Pinecone said:

You didn’t take into account the drag of the pumpkin.  From the time you release it, it is decelerating.

Came here to mention something similar to this. The deceleration was much more *ahem* instantaneous than I was expecting the one and only time I jettisoned an object out of the pilot side window, even when slowed down to 80 knots. (Yes, I'm an idiot and this sounds totally predictable, as I type this several months later.) So whatever the object is, it drops a lot less vertically than you might imagine in the time it takes to reach the horizontal stabilizer.

Furthermore, on that side of the fuselage I think the air in the prop-wash is moving upward. Depending on the object, that could mean a bad day for the airplane and potentially its occupants. A mini pumpkin seems like it might have the right mass and drag to cause a problem if tossed out the small window. Just in case anybody was piecing together a few of the ideas on this thread.

Bob

On 10/20/2022 at 9:34 PM, Bolter said:

True.  This is an order of magnitude calc.  Too many variables you cannot control to make a meaningful precision calculation.  Including knowing your precise position and speed relative to target at the moment of the drop.  

And even then, dropping a dumb item is almost more art.

But it is GREAT fun. :D

Even better if they go BOOM.

I used to spend hours at a time in the cockpit, always took a freezer zip lock bag with me, would pee in the ziploc bag, come to a hover and open the door and throw it out.

A friend was delivering a Maule to Europe, would take a loaf of bread and some sandwich meat and make sandwiches to eat, well partially across last nights dinner apparently started to work on him and he had a very loose stool, only had the sandwich bag, dumped the bread out and was very proud he successfully used it with no mess. Opened the window and threw it out over the Atlantic. When he got to his destination the proud owner was there to receive his brand new airplane, that the whole left side was covered in Sh**.

Lots of difference in throwing things from an airplane than a helicopter.

I learned doing deliveries to only eat foods very low in fiber, Beef Jerky was good and several small bottles of Gatoraid, small as you could refill them as needed. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

I used to spend hours at a time in the cockpit, always took a freezer zip lock bag with me, would pee in the ziploc bag, come to a hover and open the door and throw it out.

A friend was delivering a Maule to Europe, would take a loaf of bread and some sandwich meat and make sandwiches to eat, well partially across last nights dinner apparently started to work on him and he had a very loose stool, only had the sandwich bag, dumped the bread out and was very proud he successfully used it with no mess. Opened the window and threw it out over the Atlantic. When he got to his destination the proud owner was there to receive his brand new airplane, that the whole left side was covered in Sh**.

Lots of difference in throwing things from an airplane than a helicopter.

I learned doing deliveries to only eat foods very low in fiber, Beef Jerky was good and several small bottles of Gatoraid, small as you could refill them as needed. 

I was flying somewhere in the winter about 30 years ago. I stopped and got a Big Gulp on the way to the airport. Before I got to my destination, I had to refill the Big Gulp cup. After refilling it, I chucked it out the ice window. When I landed I discovered a giant yellow peecicle along the left side of the plane.

I guess it could be worse…

• Haha 2

On 10/19/2022 at 7:27 PM, 201Steve said:

Affix a wood screw eye hook to pumpkin. Latch to wing tie down eye hook with a straight pin. Run a line from pin to gear door. Keep gear down until ready to drop. Select gear up- bomb deployed. :D

no I wouldn’t actually do that but I also wouldn’t participate in my Mooney. Far fetched as it may be, I’d be thinking about a pumpkin tail strike on my horizontal stab. :blink:

I like this idea, except I wouldn't use the gear doors as a trigger. Why not run your line through some taped-on aluminum conduit up to your pilot-side window, keep IAS under 130, and then yank the string when you're ready for bombs-away? 

10 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I was flying somewhere in the winter about 30 years ago. I stopped and got a Big Gulp on the way to the airport. Before I got to my destination, I had to refill the Big Gulp cup. After refilling it, I chucked it out the ice window. When I landed I discovered a giant yellow peecicle along the left side of the plane.

I guess it could be worse…

This is where Jose' use to pipe in to tell us about his fabulous pee tube that channeled straight out the belly.

Ah I wish Jose' were still posting.  Hope you are well friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/21/2022 at 9:12 AM, Utah20Gflyer said:

The best way to throw a pumpkin out of a Mooney involves removing the baggage door and a midget with a good sense of timing.  

Nope!   

I just installed a new electric step.     How big of a pumpkin can I fit on that bomb bay?

(Let's see, what's the formula again @aviatoreb?   Something about pie plane?)

You guys have it all wrong!

Its no more challenging than dropping dumb bombs from a B-17

JUST GET A NORDEN BOMB SIGHT AND INSTALL IT!!!!!

I once won the flour bomb contest at Watsonville CA in my Cessna 140 with a drop less than 3 feet from the bullseye from 500 AGL

Dropping a pumpkin from a Mooney with the horizontal stab back there?  You better think twice about that one. 

5 hours ago, Seymour said:

Nope!   

I just installed a new electric step.     How big of a pumpkin can I fit on that bomb bay?

(Let's see, what's the formula again @aviatoreb?   Something about pie plane?)

Well - people think I named my airplane, N314EB the pi plane because I am a math professor and I like the number pi.

Except I really like apple pie. So maybe it is really a pie plane?

But it is Halloween season so maybe it should be the pumpkin pie plane.

Except I am not so fond of pumpkin pie.  Soooooo....maybe you will see me flying the pi-plane throwing pumpkin pies out the little window?  

Could be!

• Haha 1

On 10/29/2022 at 6:33 PM, Jpravi8tor said:

Do the rules allow canned pumpkin? It certainly will fit out the storm window?

there is always an overlooked loophole!

Yeah that can may do a number on the horizontal, it seems that’s where most things end up when they go out that window.

Hint if you want to cut toilet paper, toss it out of the bottom of the open door