Fire Extinguisher Requirement

PWL

17 hours ago, GeeBee said:

By the way, if you want to bust a check ride, ok the fire crew to open the cargo compartment before getting the people off. 

Surely because of the fire and not the Halon, or is the myth still alive? 5% - 8%  Halon is fine for people for extended times, and will put out a fire, fire isn’t possible with 5% - 8% Halon https://www.racesafe.com/truth-about-halon

So if you were suppressing, not extinguishing you had less than 5% most likely and breathing was no concern

2 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

Army is being pushed REAL hard or was to get rid of the Halon by environmentalist, but by the time I retired 20 years ago there was no substitute, anything that will kill the fire will also kill the occupants. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear they now have CO2, which will kill the occupants but hey it protects the environment, wait a minute isn’t CO2 the newest bad guy?

LOL, that would be ironic, wouldn't it? :) 

57 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

So the concern is that you’re “transporting” a fire extinguisher that is out of its dot inspection?

I believe it’s that you have an inoperative / non serviceable safety device, but that’s a guess, probably some DOT regulation that says any vehicle installed fire extinguisher must be serviceable, but again a guess.

As it’s not required I’m pretty sure removal is an acceptable corrective action, if it’s in the W&B that needs updating as well as the equipment list if it’s there.

If it were me and it became an issue somehow, some FSDO inspectors have pet peeves, I’d remove it and of course give it to the aircraft owner

Mine aren’t I’d say mine are temporarily installed like a portable GPS if it ever came up, but I don’t think it ever will

1 minute ago, jaylw314 said:

LOL, that would be ironic, wouldn't it? :) 

I love German’s they are logical. 

They came and took our flight line Halon wheel mounted fire extinguishers at Fleigerhorst Airfield, well I sort of cornered one and asked what the hell. He proudly stated they were bad for the environment with a grin and must be removed.

So I asked him if he thought that big helicopter burning with 375 gls of jet fuel and all the composites that give off cyanide gas when burned etc was better for the environment than using the fire extinguisher and putting the fire out. He thought about it, saw the logic and apologized and said he must remove them it was the law, but you could tell he was mulling it over.

They were really big green environmentalists but pumped leaded gas in their cars and roared down the Autobahn at 150 MPH :) Mid 90’s they still had leaded gas for cars

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

Surely because of the fire and not the Halon, or is the myth still alive? 5% - 8%  Halon is fine for people for extended times, and will put out a fire, fire isn’t possible with 5% - 8% Halon https://www.racesafe.com/truth-about-halon

So if you were suppressing, not extinguishing you had less than 5% most likely and breathing was no concern

It is because the minute you open that cargo hold, you've just fed the fire, maybe even a flash over and you have passengers on board. Get the passengers and crew off first, then open the hold.

20 hours ago, GeeBee said:

It is because the minute you open that cargo hold, you've just fed the fire, maybe even a flash over and you have passengers on board. Get the passengers and crew off first, then open the hold.

Yes, that’s why I installed a fire extinguisher port in my engine compt on my boat, you could see through it. Stick the hose through and pull the trigger. Without the port you had to open the large cover

https://www.westmarine.com/search?q=fire+extinguisher+port&search-button=&lang=en_US

Odd there isn’t one on GA aircraft, but I guess you have the cowling inlets.

The old Army Mohawks had a piece of balsa wood as part of the cowling, marked on the outside, shove the hose through and pull the trigger (only good on the ground of course) We almost always had a fire guard when launching military aircraft, Crew Chief would hold the aircrafts fire bottle during start, if there was a fire their primary consideration was making sure the pilots got out.

Came I think from Vietnam where they did a lot of open port hot refueling, and occasionally there was a fire.