Inexpensive aircraft upgrades / hacks

goalstop

On 10/14/2021 at 7:57 AM, skydvrboy said:

As for your grips, just get regular bicycle grips.  I have yet to touch any yoke that is more comfortable at any price.  The black ones show less dirt over the years.  Use Amazon smile and forward your donation to Mooney Summit Inc (or a charity of your choice).
https://smile.amazon.com/BV-Handlebar-Bicycle-Cycling-Handle/dp/B06XCFGXHV/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=bike+handlebar+tape&qid=1634222518&sr=8-2

Do you have a picture of the final wrap, applied to the yoke?  I am curious about some of the details around the corners, and how it looks as a final product.  Maybe it works better on the original yokes versus the J style yokes?

Depending on what tire tubes you have…

The pressure can start running down enough to need a refill each month…

With only 30psi in the front tire… it doesn’t need to lose that much to start looking like it needs a refill…

Holy cow that M20E looks nice!

PP thoughts from my M20C days… memories of the tie-down in winter…. :)

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks guys, yes tire might need air again (30 PSI) I wonder if the south Florida (KLNA) weather is accelerating the deflation. I added air about 4 weeks ago and yesterday it was low again. Hence MSr wisdom ordered Black and Decker tire inflator last night. 

Also want to order a spare tube any consensus on the tires? Going through the forum there is the 70 and 90 degree valve stem camps (Michelin Airstop and AERO Classics)

To stay on topic "cheap" hacks for me so far:

- Co2 Monitor

- Tire Inflator

- Stratus (Or Stratux homebuild if anyone is interested PM me, just got Stratus 3 to hook into my ESG panel to use external antennas)

- Ei digital tach to replace aging High RPM oscillating mechanical tach.

- Replace broken GEM 602 with used one (Until sale for Ei CGR gauges comes around) 

- Replace leaking cork rocker gaskets with the orange Silicone Real Gaskets 

- Replace CYLINDER HEAD DRAIN hoses

- Working with Don for new right panel cover.

Learned quickly you better be mechanically inclined or a money magnet, even better both.

On tires, when I had the G5 done in August, the IA and I both thought my front was low. We cked it and it was spot on @ 30 psi. We upped it to 35 PSI as a margin and to ensure prop clearance. Since then, tire is wearing much better...

-Don 

3 minutes ago, MMsuper21 said:

What POH is that? Can I get a copy? I got the original one that came with plane the 65 and 67 one you got one from 81.

The older ones just mention 30 Psi as a side note.

C19ABB4B-A57B-4C88-84F0-FB4FDCE1A678.png

It’s from the airframe maintenance manual 

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Humm. The J POH says 49 PSI in the nose. I've always done 35 mains and 45 nose. 30 in the nose seems awfully low. I looked at the M20C POH in the download section and it didn't give tire pressure. Where are you guys getting these low pressures?

It's on page 27 of the copy of the POH here:

image.png.7b3277876c3e5f35ccf67e346cfb6300.png

Edit:  Ooops, never mind, @MMsuper21 beat me to it

Edited by jaylw314

On 10/19/2021 at 10:52 AM, Bolter said:

Do you have a picture of the final wrap, applied to the yoke?  I am curious about some of the details around the corners, and how it looks as a final product.  Maybe it works better on the original yokes versus the J style yokes?

C0175C23-ED0B-45F4-A2D1-6E323D932020.thumb.jpeg.379d244a1740be00cf88347745e22c20.jpeg

I did red and green to match the Nav lights just for fun, but the black tape they come with would have a classier look.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

I did red and green to match the Nav lights just for fun, but the black tape they come with would have a classier look.

I like the red-green choice!  Thanks for the pic.  Have a fun trip to SoCal.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 8:30 AM, skydvrboy said:

Worked in my M20J.  I guess you need to specify the bulb size.  They have all kinds on Amazon, I'm willing to bet you'll find the right one.

Edited by MisfitSELF

On 10/15/2021 at 12:30 AM, Andy95W said:

Alpha Aviation for seatbelts/shoulder harnesses.  Give them a call, it’s a family business and they actually answer the phone themselves.

If you have Johnson Bar landing gear, you’ll definitely want the inertial reel and push button release.  If you have electric gear, anything will do well.

https://alphaaviation.com/mooney-m20-front-fixed-strap-replacement-lift-lever/

+1 on push button release.   But, I don't have inertial reel shoulder belts and no problem operating the J-bar.  I find the inertial reel bulky and awkward.