supplemental type certificate

Jeffrey Keim

I just purchased a 1980 Mooney 305 Rocket. Beautiful excellently maintained aircraft.  I have all of the log books and aircraft history but haven't located a Supplemental Type Certificate raising the gross weight from the original 231 of 3017 lbs to the 3200 lbs that the Rocket conversion qualifies for.

Can I get this from Rocket Engineering?

30 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Order the data CD from the FAA for your airplane and you'll get all of the 337s/STCs that have been filed for it in case it's just missing in your records.

+1 for the CD.  I always order them for any airplane I am considering buying.  Had CD for five different J’s before I bought the one I have now.  I consider it a mandatory step in the buying  process.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Order the data CD from the FAA for your airplane and you'll get all of the 337s/STCs that have been filed for it in case it's just missing in your records.

It will only show stc’s that have been registered for your n number but doesn’t include STCs that may be available 

2 hours ago, gacoon said:

+1 for the CD.  I always order them for any airplane I am considering buying.  Had CD for five different J’s before I bought the one I have now.  I consider it a mandatory step in the buying  process.

What’s the turnaround time on getting the CD?

It's taken me longer in the past -- about two years ago it was 2-3 weeks to get the CDs. Fast enough if you already own the plane.

If you're in a rush, Insured Aircraft Title Service (and likely others) will get you the contents of the CDs quickly for a small fee ($20) and will have them emailed within 24 hours. They used to keep the PDFs on-hand and just email them within an hour, but I think they were bit on a transaction and now they pull the physical CDs from the FAA and email them within a day.

On the STC, I was digging into this when I was looking at Rockets a few months ago. Link below is someone who got the STC from Rocket about three years ago.

Rocket 2900 vs 3200 GW - General Mooney Talk - Mooneyspace.com - A community for Mooney aircraft owners and enthusiasts

Here's the breakdown and sheets for the two STCs:

Posted October 18 (mooneyspace.com)

32 minutes ago, Old Chub said:

I had a friend of mine that was considering buying a 172 and I told him to order the CD from OKC.  He went on-line and had it in his hands in one week.  I thought that was pretty good in the Covid era.

Thats been my experience also, about a week.

3 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Are they on a stone tablet in Canada? :)

-Robert

No, not even available from Transport Canada, privacy seems to be more guarded here.  I’m always amazed at the things that are available for public consumption in the USA.

Clarence