New STC Modifications

tomgo2

10 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

I was thinking something more like this, mounted on the flat steel plate above the shock discs.  Very thin.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/grille-and-surface-mount-strobe-lights/low-profile-grille-and-surface-mount-led-light-head-18w/3458/

IMG_2363.PNG

IMG_2364.PNG

Hi Andy,

I was trying to stay with something FAA/PMA as well as another option for my landing light in the cowling issue I had. 
David

• Like 1

I had been thinking about a taxi or landing light on the gear for a while and today took a closer look. I used my LED landing light to place it around the gear and I don’t see anywhere something like it could be mounted and fit into the wheel well. Still scratching my head for an idea! 

Is that the Par 46 or smaller 36 model?

I'll have to get it out of the hangar after dark for a test, but I have a feeling that this landing/taxi combo at 3,200 lumens each, plus the two recognition lights (owner produced) at 1550 lumens each, you might not ever need anything else to taxi or land like it's daytime in Arizona

IMG_20200411_095907493.jpg

IMG_20200311_182845274.jpg

IMG_20200412_161736435.jpg

• Like 1

This might work.  You know you will have space for stowage because of the stringer hanging down from the roof of the gear well does not interfere with the gear.  Something sufficiently low profile and mounted vertically along the gear truss vertical support might fit in the recess. Forward it would have to stay pretty close to flush with the tube and sufficiently down as to not interfere with the retract arm (or mount it to the angled tubes or the truss behind the straight vertical. 

89F2CDBC-959F-4F43-B7FB-81445DA77B90.jpeg

A7887A8C-5191-402A-BEF4-8FD6D803AB83.png

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to have an encore-conversion for the M20K-231s? Imagine this will qualify for a STC and probably meets the demand criteria given how many active 231s are out there. :huh:

9 hours ago, shawnd said:

Is it possible to have an encore-conversion for the M20K-231s? Imagine this will qualify for a STC and probably meets the demand criteria given how many active 231s are out there. :huh:

Since the Encore is an evolutionary step to the M20K...  I’m not sure the STC process would be the way to do it....

Certain Serial Numbers are able to be upgraded... older serial numbers are not...   bring an older serial number up to speed with the magic serial number.... to enable the Encore updates would be interesting....

By the time this route gets enabled... the costs are usually astronomical... and changing planes makes more sense...

But for really wacky examples... Look to the Rocket Engineering STC for the Rocket... all kinds of improvements got lumped in that we’re not available to other updates...

Bringing the Rocket STC operational again would be interesting to some...  :)

Sorry to be so confusing... i’m no expert in Mooney history...

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

But for really wacky examples... Look to the Rocket Engineering STC for the Rocket... all kinds of improvements got lumped in that we’re not available to other updates...

Bringing the Rocket STC operational again would be interesting to some...

I would be ecstatic if someone would figure out how to get additional GW for a pre-2900 GW J model like Rocket Engineering apparently did for the Missile. While the GW went up 460#, the empty weight only went up 250#! So some way, someone manufactured an extra 210# of UL while apparently doing nothing for the structure of the airframe.

Can I get that secret sauce on my J?

33 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

I would be ecstatic if someone would figure out how to get additional GW for a pre-2900 GW J model like Rocket Engineering apparently did for the Missile. While the GW went up 460#, the empty weight only went up 250#! So some way, someone manufactured an extra 210# of UL while apparently doing nothing for the structure of the airframe.

Can I get that secret sauce on my J?

I think Mooney was even more surprised! The holder of the Type Certificate is held to higher engineering standard than someone seeking an STC approval. It simply is what it is.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/2/2020 at 8:30 PM, tomgo2 said:

I'm looking to take on some new FAA STC modification projects and looking for ideas.  Please send me a private message if you have any ideas or suggestions.  

Not going to make it a PM, but here's one for you (sorry, this will be long winded).

A combination blade VOR antenna and AOA gauge.

We've learned that whisker VOR antennas are less drag than blade antennas because the blade is only streamlined at one specific AOA.  Any speed that does not result in that AOA will cause the blades to create lift and induced drag.

If you could mount those blade antennas on a pivot, they could rotate about the pivot and always be aligned with the relative wind.  That would virtually eliminate the induced drag.  You could then also use the amount of pivot, just like a mechanical AOA vane, to determine the AOA.  I would suggest having each owner calibrate the indication system for their airplane.  If you do that, I'd try and find a way to allow for indications Vso, 1.3 Vso, Vy, and maybe Va.

• Like 1