Cigars, cigarettes, Tiparillos

flyboy0681

My ashtray is intomthe side rather than vertical like this picture. I replaced it with an Ashlight, four red LEDs. Does a pretty good job helping me see my kneeboard in the dark. I keep a pen clipped on both sides of the panel. 

I like that I have a factory ashtray and built-in factory oxygen. 

Ah, those are fine together. It’s just when you have residual oil on your hands from your pre-flight and then go messing with your O2 that your new nickname might be “Human Torch”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

7 minutes ago, Antares said:

What's the mechanism? O2 increases oxidation enough to generate adequate heat for ignition?

Yup.  Kind of like how the oil-soaked rags will smoke for a while before they actually catch on fire.

Edit:  just looked up spontaneous combustion on Wikipedia.  Today I learned it's not motor oil, but biologic oils such as linseed oil that are broken down by bacteria and fungi which produce heat that can autoignite.  I also leanred pistachio nuts are prone to spontaneous combustion.

Having a high concentration of O2 mixed with fuel that has a low energy requirement for oxidation, combined with high heat energy emitted by the reaction...

Concentration increases the collisions between molecules until the right collision causes a chemical reaction...

plenty of statistics involved... but adding heat and concentration makes the stats of flammability increase...

Things that aren’t normally flammable become incredibly flammable under the right conditions...

So keep your oils and greases away from your O2... 

Don’t allow an O2 leak go unchecked...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

We haven’t heard from the chemists yet...

Speaking of oxidation...

Have you considered having your rusty ashtrays rechromed?

Same conversation is concurrently going on regarding the Jbar...

Lasar vs. local speed shop... seem to be a way to proceed....

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

I'm looking into re-chroming but there may be too much corrosion to save it.

Lasar couldn't help.

Talk to a high volume upholstery shop.

www.aerocomfort.com

Call and talk to Hector

Or take it and have it sandblasted and powdercoated whatever color or finish you want.

49 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Never as much took a single puff in my 58 years. I have absolutely no idea what it's about.

It's about addicting people to a product known to be unhealthy, so that corporate earnings can stay high. Usage rates are inversely proportional to education levels, and are especially high in developing countries, whose education levels are usually also low . . . .

I would mask the plastic, then sand the chrome heavily with 320 grit production paper and spray paint it with Alum-Hide (sp?) paint in your choice of color from the Brownell's gunsmithing catalogue (or some other type of serious epoxy paint).  Wear a good respirator the stuff will eat your lungs.  It will out last us all.  Probably not FAA certified though so there is that.